Slimy, moldy, discoloured eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerly

Hi there!
Straight to the point. My bearded dragon had 16 eggs and has been laying them over about three days.
They were somewhat brown in color, only a few “bright” white, but they have become slightly brown and in some instances pink.
I don’t know exactly what’s gone wrong - I am pretty sure they are fertile, as they were fat and mostly normal in appearance at first.
My makeshift incubator (as the eggs were totally unexpected) has been at the right temperature. The vermiculite seems to have been at the right dampness. However, the eggs are slimy, and white mold has been appearing almost from day one.

Again, after closely inspecting them, I am pretty sure they’re all fertile, but my experience is limited to my research.
Thanks in advance!
I can’t provide photos right now but will try ASAP.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Please do post pics, close up of the eggs and of the entire incubator set up . If they are as you described they are either infertile + rotting or if they are fertile something is definitely wrong and has caused them to die. Was she mated ?

How are you taking the temps. in the incubator ? Even a couple of days over 90 will kill them. Too cool of a temp. won't hurt them though.

Good eggs look like this , although these obviously have grown + I took the pic at hatching time. Still, they would be nice , round + white and have a very small pink circle [ hard to see when first laid] but within a week you can candle them + see tiny veins branching out from the circle :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29937/full

tigerly

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the reply!
I can't post pictures yet again but hopefully, I will be able to within the hour.
(Until then, the incubator is a large tub with water in the bottom, a rack, and a smaller container full of vermiculite. There's a water heater in the tub and a heat mat underneath.)

I'm pretty sure she was mated. She had access to a male who displayed mating behavior for at least a few hours total.
The temperatures are being taken with one thermometer in the large container and one in the smaller container where the eggs are.
At highest, it only ever got to 86 and 77 at lowest.

Those are a sight for sore eyes, haha!
Mine definitely seems to have a small pink something in the center, which is interesting.
I'm just confused as to what we might have done wrong. D:

tigerly

Original Poster
Here are some pictures of the eggs:

vA67Abp.jpg

r8Givuv.jpg

U9bmFQu.jpg

Sorry about the quality!

tigerly

Original Poster
Thank you for telling me.
The vermiculite is... somewhat damp? Perhaps not enough. It's damp to touch, but definitely not wet. Sort of just moist.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They are either all infertile [ probably ] or somehow something else is wrong. Infertile eggs sometimes can be plump and look like fertile eggs. Try candling one of the white ones.

tigerly

Original Poster
So it turns out that a lot of them were infertile.
They dimpled/deflated eventually - and more eggs that popped up in the enclosure were the same.
One had even been broken open and there was a very visible yolk inside of it (or at least something orange and yolk-esque!)
However!
After candling some of the better eggs, one of them had veins running through it. The others had red lines down the side of the egg (and looked a little less promising), but there was clearly an embryo inside of them - dead or alive.
Super confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom