Vegetarian beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
My class has a pet bearded dragon. Her name is Venus. She never eats bugs... She eats salads and red pellet things I don't know what they are called. The only time she's had something live is when one person brought a cricket in from they're backyard. So I was wondering if a bearded dragon can be vegetarian?

OviDear

Nope, she has to have 30+ crickets a day, and never EVER let a bearded dragon have wild caught crickets they can have parasites. Also those red pellets should be thrown away, those are never good staple diets for a young bearded dragon, and what kind of fruits and vegetables are in the salads that you give her? And can you take a picture of her enclosure and tell me what kind of lights you have for her

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
From baby to 14 months of age, they require 80% live bugs and, 20% veggies. I am going to guess that she is still small. Lives bugs provide the proper protein needed for good growth and, health.
After 14 months of age, the ratio switches to 80% veggies and, 20% bugs.
As the previous post said, NEVER feed wild caught bugs due to parasites and, possible herbicide or pesticed contamination.
This is exactly why I don't think they should be kept as classroom pets. People that don't know anything about them have no business caring for them. It takes a lot of research and, patients to properly care for a dragon.

Pogonacave

Original Poster
She eats carrots, collard greens and celery. I cannot send pictures because it's in the school but the tank is 20 gallon she has a food dish and water dish with a log hide and a basking rock. Well she has a I've and uva light and basking light and a regular light to see her when the lights are off.

Pogonacave

Original Poster
Pogonacave":3vs64b60 said:
She eats carrots, collard greens and celery. I cannot send pictures because it's in the school but the tank is 20 gallon she has a food dish and water dish with a log hide and a basking rock. Well she has a I've and uva light and basking light and a regular light to see her when the lights are off.

I've=uvb

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she's eating some veges but I'd change it up a bit. Carrots and Celery aren't very good options as staples. This is a good list to reference for some ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html. The more variety you can provide, the better.

I agree with the other posts about bugs. She will need live bugs at any age. Young dragons need LOTS of live bugs while older ones (1+ year) need less since their growth is much slower. It would be a good idea to set up a tank to hold crickets and keep them on hand (cheaper to order them in bulk). You could also start a dubia roach colony to have in the classroom too https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html You can also offer black soldier fly larvae and silk worms when you can get them. She will need a couple of bug meals per day if she's young.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Also, a 20 gallon is much too small to be her long-term enclosure, so it’s important that your teacher plans on upgrading her to a much larger tank as she grows. Since your teacher doesn’t know the first thing about what a young bearded dragon needs to eat, which is extremely basic and easy to acquire information, something tells me she also doesn’t have the proper UV lighting/basking temps. A picture of the setup would be helpful. At the very least, I suggest you show her this webpage so that she can check out the links other members just provided. And urging her to read the care sheets/what to buy guides would also be extremely beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom