Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate278

Hello! I just have two quick questions about my Bearded Dragon named Spike!

Has a 10.0 18" 15 watt T8 UVB Light Bulb by All Living Things

100 Watt ExoTerra Basking lamp

About 11 inches long

I've had him/her for about 3 months

40 Gallon tank

Temperature on cold side: Usually 75 Degrees (F)
Temperature on Warm side: 95-105 Degrees (F)

We just upgraded her tank yesterday from a 20 gallon to a 40. She is glass surfing a lot more than she did in her old tank. Is this just because she needs to get used to the new one?

From the day I got her, at least 4 times a week she'll sleep in weird positions up in her hammock by sitting up against the wall or something silly like that. Is this normal? I also see some black/gray spots on her stomach while she sleeps, they become less visible when she is wide awake like in the picture above.

She eats at 6:30 AM, 3:30 PM and at 9:00 PM. She eats around 8-13 crickets per feeding and I also give her salads.

She completely moved her basking spot over about 4 inches away from its original position. I'll include pictures of her enclosure:

Picture of her -
image.jpg

Picture of her enclosure Before:
image.jpg

Picture of her enclosure after:
image.jpg

Other than that, there's nothing wrong with her as far as I know.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks good! Her immediate reaction is probably a bit of confusion or curiosity about the change but I'm sure she'll enjoy the extra space. I have a couple of suggestions about the new setup though. I would put the UVB light over next to the basking light so you have the most intense UVB along with the highest heat and brightest light on the basking area. The 18'' T8 from all living things is the same as the Zilla Desert 50 which has an optimal output at around 6-8''. It should be mounted inside the tank at that distance from the basking area. With the larger tank, it's best in the long run to upgrade to a higher output T5 fixture. The 22'' T5 would be a good fit for that tank. I also suggest replacing those analog thermometers with either an IR temp gun or a couple of digital thermometers with probes that you can put right on the surface of the basking site and the cool side. That will give you a better idea of the temperature gradient and accurately measure the surface temps which is what you want to use to adjust lighting.

Nate278

Original Poster
Alright! Thanks for the suggestions. A few things to ask grandparents for Christmas. :p If you look to the right side of the 2nd photo, you will see that I have a digital thermometer. I am thinking of replacing the current UVB light just because of his eye closing every now and then which is most likely from the lighting. I don't want my little guy in pain! D: Do you know if there is a UVB light I could buy that I can still put on top of the screen or will I have to find a way to mount it inside?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah yeah I see the thermometer probe now. Its best if you can put that right on the rock so you can get a good reading of it's surface temp. That will be the basking temperature so you adjust the lighting from there.

Closing the eyes is often just them relaxing while basking or closing an eye facing you if they are mildly annoyed. It's not necessarily a sign of a problem. Look for mucous or crusty buildup around the eye which could indicate irritation or infection.

A T5 light with a reflector can go on top of the tank. I use this one and it's great http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ There is also one made by ReptiSun that is good. You want the T5 10.0 22'' bulb rather than the 5.0 bulb though as that has less power. They should sit about 10'' above the basking area when they are on top of the tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah those should work. Keep in mind the fixture is a set of two. You may just want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom