Advice please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby is growing up so fast! I love holding him and letting him explore, but his nails are so so sharp and he leaves scratch marks all over me. I've seen reptile nail trimmers but am hesitant to trim myself. Is it ok to trim your beardie's nails? And if so, what is the best way to go about doing it? Are they anything like dog's nails where they bleed if you cut too much?

Thanks in advance!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, I havent trimmed my beardies nails but if you want to hold your beardie without getting scratched up might be good idea to wear long sleeves/sweater or something so that way when they dig their claws itll be on the clothes not on your skin. Hmmm, if you want to trim your beardies claw i would recommend by a professional or vet, someone can show you how to do it. Interesting article:
https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/150-lizard-claws-to-trim-or-not-to-trim/

I also lay down ceramic tile for substrate and that also helps with their nails too.
Hopefully that helps :D

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, just lay down some rough slate tile, or put a rough rock in there to help naturally file down their nails

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes you actually should trim your beardie's nails on a regular basis, I do mine every 2-3 months, it helps a lot.

Yes they bleed if you cut too far in, but they are much easier to clip than a dog's nails. I use regular people nail clippers...You only ever clip off the very tip of each nail! If you look at his nails, each one has a little tip on the very end that sticks out overtop of the nail body, it's like a little overhang that is very visible. You'll know what I mean when you look at them closely. You only ever clip off this end tip that sticks out beyond the rest of the nail. It's really easy and because you're only clipping the very tips off it only takes a minute or two. Makes all the difference in the world because those little tips that stick out are what is scratching you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I use these to trim the nails even on tiny baby skinks (4g , need my magnifying glass and miners' lamp style headtorch for those) : https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/new/product/nail-clipper-for-dogs-and-cats-small-gripsoft/2504/?refs=9&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Prz-fae1QIVWwUqCh2KiQbrEAQYAyABEgJKk_D_BwE

I only ever take 2 - 3 mm at most from each nail, all my pet lizards are great with it , no wriggling or fussing , I just get them nice a relaxed with a daddy snuggle, then trim the nail very gently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom