Week old beardie for sale??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's bearded dragon's eggs hatched maybe a week ago and he says they're fine to sell because they're eating and running around and they seem fine. I was wanting to buy one from him but I'm worried about getting a baby that small.

In my opinion, it's fairly unethical to sell an animal less than a month old, especially after only a week. If it's your friend and you're confident you can care for such a young Beardie (it can be challenging when they're that young), then it's ok and might be fun for you to raise one from such a young age! Try to convince your friend not to sell them for a few more weeks though.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Usually 3 weeks is the VERY youngest. A month + is a much better age, that way they are established in feeding and shedding

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A one week old dragon is way way too young to be sold! I would wait a bit longer to be sure they are stronger.

Tracie

danielleroberson38

Original Poster
Update: I got the little baby and it's so cute!! He/she is running around and ate 3 crickets and some veggies today. He/she seems to be doing fine and happy!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
danielleroberson38":2uy9pwao said:
Update: I got the little baby and it's so cute!! He/she is running around and ate 3 crickets and some veggies today. He/she seems to be doing fine and happy!

got to see lots of photos of the little chappy....

Get him onto BSF maggots, blow fly gents, and extra small (0.5in - 1.0in) silkworms....

Don't worry too much about his eating greens at such a young age , he needs the best quality live insect protein you can give him (THREE TIMES per day and as many as he wants to eat - don't limit him (when he's full he'll stop eating)).

Keep water in the tank - VERY SHALLOW !!! and watch his hydration with him being so tiny he can get dehydrated fast.

The best bedding for him is absorbant kitchen paper toweling.

danielleroberson38

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2bm3she7 said:
danielleroberson38":2bm3she7 said:

got to see lots of photos of the little chappy....

Get him onto BSF maggots, blow fly gents, and extra small (0.5in - 1.0in) silkworms....

Don't worry too much about his eating greens at such a young age , he needs the best quality live insect protein you can give him (THREE TIMES per day and as many as he wants to eat - don't limit him (when he's full he'll stop eating)).

Keep water in the tank - VERY SHALLOW !!! and watch his hydration with him being so tiny he can get dehydrated fast.

The best bedding for him is absorbant kitchen paper toweling.

90571-1039593136.jpg
90571-3241714644.jpg
90571-5151404995.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very cute little guy, hopefully he'll do well. :) A few things to be SURE about , the crickets or insects MUST be smaller than the space between his eyes. Otherwise a tiny baby can easily become impacted....the risk lessens as the get older + bigger but it's very important to be aware of at this size.

It's 1000 % fine + beneficial to offer finely shredded greens like turnip, mustard, dandelion to a baby, they are loaded with nutrients + help with hydration. A Baby will not miss out on protein because of eating ytoo many greens, it does not happen. I've raised loads of babies and they all were eating greens by 2 weeks of age on average. They still grew fast + healthy. :) Lastly, be careful if you DO keep a water bowl in the tank. A lazy baby can fall asleep in it overnight and will become chilled + possibly sick. You can spray him once a day for a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom