My bearded dragon is not eating? What do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my bearded dragon has an interesting story. He started as my aunts beardie, but due to certain circumstances she had to give him up. Therefore I took him in. I got him 5 days ago, he has met me many times. But he isn't eating, I've tried everything. Adult dragon pellet food, mango, cucumber (which he loves) etc. But he just looks at it and then closes his eyes? He hasn't been moving around his cage lately either only when I take him out. If his in his cage he is usually sleeping. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm buying some insects tomorrow to see if he will eat those. Please help.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He probably has some relocation stress. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Do you know how old he is?

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
Before he wasn't taken care of very well, I tried to tell her that but i don't know. He has a 20 gallon long, (I'm not very good with lighting names) with a uvb bulb and a uva/basking/light bulb, he also has a heat bulb for at night. He has 12 hours day, 12 hours night, I bathe him every other day because he wont drink from a bowl. I have tried to take him out and he seems fine I will put him on my bed and he runs around and explore, but he won't eat. When my aunt got him, she rescued him, the lady said she thinks he is around five. It's hard to tell, he is a pretty decent size though. She said he goes through fazes of not eating for like three days and then eats nonstop. Is that normal?

FalcorFeatured":1yyol3n4 said:
Before he wasn't taken care of very well, I tried to tell her that but i don't know. He has a 20 gallon long, <<<<This is too small for an adult,
try to get at least a 40 long soon.

(I'm not very good with lighting names) with a uvb bulb and a uva/basking/light bulb <<<< The brand is important because some are really good and some are really bad. A logo should be on the bulb itself. Also check that it's less than 6 months old.

, he also has a heat bulb for at night. <<<<there shouldn't be any light at night,
as long as it stays above 65F it's ok.

He has 12 hours day, 12 hours night, I bathe him every other day because he wont drink from a bowl.<<<<They don't really use standing water,
don't worry.

I have tried to take him out and he seems fine I will put him on my bed and he runs around and explore, but he won't eat. When my aunt got him, she rescued him, the lady said she thinks he is around five. It's hard to tell, he is a pretty decent size though. She said he goes through fazes of not eating for like three days and then eats nonstop. Is that normal?<<<<As adults they do go through periods of not eating for a few days, plus he's probably stressed from the relocation. Leave him alone for a few days to adjust, then he'll probably start eating again soon, good luck with your new Beardie!

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
What if my tank can't sustain the heat he needs at night? I'm worried he gonna be cold while I sleep and I won't know it.
91669-9919678112.jpg
91669-2314643972.jpg
those are his bulbs, the first one is the brand I believe I used its hard to tell, that light came with him so I didn't buy it from the start.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. You definitely need a bigger enclosure and a better uvb. For the uvb you want a reptisun 10.0 long tube t5. Those coil ones cause appetite, lethargy and eye problems. The basking light is good.

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
Im just worried because I'm a bit low on money at the moment, he was very unexpected so I hadn't saved some money for him. Do you think there are any ways of possibly saving some money? Also what do I do if I can't keep the heat up at night?

At night as long as the temperature stays above 65F you're ok, they like it cooler and dark at night. If it goes below 65F you can get a ceramic heat emitter which gives off infrared light that is not visible. For the tank, petco has a $1 per gallon sale right now, or you could buy a large plastic storage tub. The UVB is very important, and you can buy a reptisun 10 for ~$25 on amazon and a normal tube fixture for $10-$20 at Walmart or a hardware store. It's very nice of you to take in a Beardie on short notice, I know it can be scary, lol, good luck!

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
Lol I live in Canada there is no petco! Darn it. When you say tube fixture do you mean just a light? Will it still give uvb? I'm still very new to reptile keeping Lol.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, lol. For UVB you'll want a reptisun t5 10.0 fluorescent tube that's about 2/3 the length of the enclosure, and it will work in any t5 high output fixture that should be mounted inside the tank, under the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom