Nanny-Cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey all,
Just curious if anyone has a nanny-cam to watch their dragon(s) while they are away for extended times (or just because.)

I recently went out of town/state for a concert (left 9am one day, returned 8pm the next) and though I had made sure basking bulbs were changed prior and they had plenty of food, I do suffer from anxiety and so badly wanted to check if they were ok, though logic would say they were fine.

I am very curious if others have been in the same situation, tried this, and if this helped calm concerns or added to them. I am not one to often leave for more than just a few hours, but sometimes it cannot be helped, and would like to calm those nerves.

Thanks for your input!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I have heard people Facetiming/Skypeing their beardies helps, so if you have someone that can go over there, that might help :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
JessPets":j5jdxts8 said:
I have heard people Facetiming/Skypeing their beardies helps, so if you have someone that can go over there, that might help :)

Thanks for the advice! Many phones have one/both options and I could easily bring a laptop along.

I've luckily never left to the point of needing a house-sitter. I'm unfortunately an hour and a half to two hours from family that would willingly look after them, and my closest "friends" are people I work with (introvert), though I know they would definitely assist if I were to ask.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I absolutely have this. I travel a lot and have a wireless webcam sitting next to the tank. I can check in from my phone while I'm traveling and it helps quite a bit to see what the little guy is up to and know that he is OK.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3mk3pgih said:
I absolutely have this. I travel a lot and have a wireless webcam sitting next to the tank. I can check in from my phone while I'm traveling and it helps quite a bit to see what the little guy is up to and know that he is OK.

Thank you!
Are you able to share which one you use?

I feel silly hooking up a cam to watch the pets rather than the front door :lol: but I've got my priorities! Personally, I'd like to have a few set up, but the dragon watching was what started this thought so I may as well start there.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use an old foscam that I had around. It's an older model and takes some manual setup in terms of setting it's IP and configuring port forwarding on the firewall but it works. If you're not comfortable with mucking around on home network settings then one of the newer kits you can buy should work nicely. They tend to just be plug and play and connect to a phone app.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'll have to look into my options.
With technology how it is today there are likely thousands of models now.

While I do not plan to travel too often, I take it having the peace of mind is worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom