Uvb bulb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzie35

Unfortunately, I lost my beardie last night. I'm at a loss right now and miss him terribly. Once I give myself proper time to grieve, I would like to get another scale baby, not to replace my Mushu, but because these guys are amazing little babies. Anyway, my question is, unplugged, and turned off, how long does a UVB bulb last? Or would it just be best to get a new one when I am ready for my new Lil guy? The one I have currently is a little over a month old of use.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry for your loss :(
UV lamps wear out with age, not use. Mark on the lamp the amount of use it has so you know when you use it next and replace after a total 6months. .

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum Kenzie, and I'm so sorry it's for such a grave reason :( I am very sorry for your loss, and all of us here completely understand the attachment and love that goes along with keeping one of these amazing little critters..

If the bulb is only about a month old it will stay good, however, that will always bring up the question as to what kind of bulb you are planning to use.

Coil bulbs are more on the "no-no" list, due to issues with their eyes and the drop off of UVB they produce. If used, these should be replaced every 6mo, if not more frequently.

A 10.0 tube light, depending if it's T8 or T5, is generally changed every 6mo (t8) or 1yr (t5)

I know that's a little more than you were asking, but I figured it was good to clear up right away.

Kenzie35

Original Poster
Thank you both. I have a reptisun 10.0 I believe it's a t8 tube. Was using a coil for a minute before I realized it was bad but that was for about the first month that I had him. This was his second tube.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Kenzie35":2l08vnab said:
Thank you both. I have a reptisun 10.0 I believe it's a t8 tube. Was using a coil for a minute before I realized it was bad but that was for about the first month that I had him. This was his second tube.

Good choice, I'm using a T8 reptisun 10.0 in each of my enclosures after having done the coil for longer than I'd like to admit. You'll want to replace this in about 5 mo then, whether used or not.

If you have the funds to do so, I am planning to change to a T5 once these need to be replaced.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom