dreading going away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
Am I crazy? I have 3 pugs and when I go away I hate leaving them. I get anxious :? I fully trust my friend who watches them but a bearded dragon is a first for him. He has held him and will say he will take him out but as any pet owner no one takes better care of them than you. Mushu is used to being out a lot. Will he get stressed and upset with me away for 6 days? Tell me I am over paranoid!!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
They will probably be fine. Although he might 'miss' you, chances are he won't be too stressed out. Is your friend coming to your house or are you taking Mushu's cage to their house? I would try to keep it at your house, as to help eliminate stress.

And trust me, you are not the only one who hates leaving their pets :lol: I freak out even when I just leave them for a night :D

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My friend will be staying here. I will have 2 people here one during day and another at night. My friend coming during the day is great with animals and he asked what I need to do for Mushu when I wasn't even going to bother asking him for help since he is my dog sitter. My best friend who will stay with animals at night said he would take him out and let him explore like he normally does with me. Ugh I hate going away but with 4 children I can't make my kids not vacation due to my anxiety leaving my animals haha!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's really nice that you have someone to take care of him. Knowing that he will get outside time, fresh food, clean tank, etc is huge. I travel a lot and definitely know the anxiety all too well. I have some friends who stop in and take good care but it still stinks to leave my buddy behind, especially on long trips far away. I've found that setting up a webcam on the tank is helpful. I can check in on him from my phone wherever I am and know how he's doing. It's nice even when I'm at work. I have his webcam up on one of my computer monitors as I write this.

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's exactly what I told my husband I wanted was a webcam. I work from home so he's always around me and someone always there. I do daycare so he's used to kids playing around him. He will be lonely with no noise when we are gone :(

I want a webcam to. Pointed right at Linus's cage. Now that we are retired, we are planning on doing some overnight getaways, and I am stressing less over the cats than I am Linus and Onyx. The cats don't need much more for a one or two day trip than a full kibble bowl, full oversize water dish and clean pet beds. Other than that, they can take care of themselves.

Linus only eats from my hand, and will only drink from a hand held spritzer and even the vet said he is completely spoiled.

Believe me, you are not the only one who freaks out over leaving them for any amount of time. If we have many more trips I will have that webcam installed pointed right at my little baby. If there was anyway that he could go with us, he would be. Purple pet stroller and all 8)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This might sound crazy.... but if your friend's mobile or your landline has speaker phone option, talk to your little spikey child over it, he'll recognize your voice and it may just help him settle to being cared for by your mate.

Even better Skype him and talk to your beardie via Skype (he'll see and hear you this way).

My wife did the speaker phone thing for my lizards when I was in hospital for a month and they were missing me .... says they instantly responded to the sound of my voice and were looking for me while I was talking to them and they settled a bit afterwards.

Shannonc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Funny you say that I make my friend face time me with my pugs. Haha. I will now be having him do that with Mushu when I am away. The things we do for our beloved pets!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom