Too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little baby passed away at just 5 months old on Thursday evening. We'd only had him for 2 months & the place where we got him have very kindly offered us a free baby beardie cuz they could tell that we loved our little one. We took our bubba to get cremated today but I just had a question for you all.

How long would you leave it before getting yourself another little one?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry about your loss, so sad to lose a little creature. :( I'd get one as soon as I felt like having a new little one to brighten up the house. As long as you have the right equipment you should get one any time you feel like it. :)

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have any idea why he might of died? I would also make sure you sanitize the enclosure and stuff in it properly if you're using the same one. Sorry for your loss :(

wingedangel

Original Poster
We're considering getting one today. I cleaned out the viv yesterday & gave it a good scrub. Need to do the items inside today.
We're going to go to the pet shop today and see how we feel.

We don't know what was wrong with him. He may well have been ill for a while but we didn't know. We miss him but we know that he is no longer in pain :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Getting Peppa and Toothless about 3 weeks after loosing our beautiful affectionate 2 years old boy Puff did me a world of good, two new little hatchlings gave me a new focus and helped me get over my grief at loosing my greatly beloved and very special boy Puff .

They kept me busy and became a source of new joy and pleasure (and were very entertaining).

I will never forget and still greatly miss Puff.

So , if you immediately feel a connection with the new little hatchling, yes you will know right away when you see it, essentially all my lizards chose me rather than the other way around.

I suggest you use F10 SC diluted as they suggest and used as a spray on disinfectant , a light spray of the surfaces , let airdry for 30mins and you are done, all microbes (viruses, bacteria, fungal spores dead).
F10 is a vet strength disinfectant and a 250ml bottle of the concentrate will go a very long way as you are using very high dilutions.
http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-environmental-products.html

wingedangel

Original Poster
We went & picked up a little baby today. We went in to thank the shop owners for being kind enough to offer us a beardie free of charge & one ran right up to the glass & followed us around. They have been spending the last 5 hours running around their new viv. They're now scratching away in the corner & making their bed. It's the same corner where Vane used to sleep so it made me cry but also made me quite happy :)

We're getting Vane a little pirate chest that will be engraved with his name for when we get his ashes back.

This little one is called Teach & we have already enjoyed some cuddles as they are calm when they're out before they make a break for it & run like there's no tomorrow!!

I have a quick question about feeding habits - do you feed yours live food each day & ensure that there's a bowl of salad in the viv all the time or alternate between salad & live food?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Young ones need live food 2 times a day, 3 if your schedule allows. Keep a salad every day. They may or might not eat it. It's more important to have bugs right now. Are you keeping more than one in the same enclosure?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, sounds like you got an energetic little ball of scales. :) How big is he/she, and can you post pics when he's awake again ? When you feed him, be SURE the bugs are no longer than the space between his eyes, it's very important for babies in order to to avoid harmful impactions.

jessie4698

Y'all are making me cry! I'm so so so sorry for your loss. :( I'd say give it some time and think about how you feel. Don't rush into anything you're not comfortable with yet!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I have always have had multiple reptiles so if I have a death I have other reptiles to focus on. Sadly I lost one yesterday during brumation. It was a very large mexican beaded lizard I have had for 4 years. Their brumation period is 4 months in a 55°F bedroom. It can be hard on them, but I am unsure if that was what caused the death as 18 of the others were perfectly fine.

wingedangel

Original Poster
AHBD":2qree6d4 said:
Aw, sounds like you got an energetic little ball of scales. :) How big is he/she, and can you post pics when he's awake again ? When you feed him, be SURE the bugs are no longer than the space between his eyes, it's very important for babies in order to to avoid harmful impactions.

We've got a box of really small crickets. We had some large ones from Vane but we gave those to a neighbour with a 2yo beardie so that someone gets to eat them!

He weighed 38g when we weighed him yesterday & was 10" long.

We gave Teach a bath & he drank loads of water (which Vane never did). He's spending time down at his cool end & sits on his skull staring out of the glass & watching us. He hasn't pooed yet though but I seem to remember that Vane didn't for a few days cuz of the stress.

Here's a couple of photos of the little baby :)

89708-9831418911.jpg
89708-9514818275.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice looking dragon, I like his interesting bold pattern. :) He's big enough for medium size crickets, if you have small he'll eat a whole lot of them. Shake some up in a jar [ to make them dizzy + slow moving ] with a pinch of calcium powder and then dump a few at a time right near him. He is a wee bit thin but looks healthy + alert.

wingedangel

Original Poster
He ate 16 medium crickets when we fed him. The pet shop we got him from only feed them live food every other day which is why he looks thin. We're fattening him up now :)

He's super energetic so he's going to burn off anything he eats very quickly. We're making sure he has fresh salad in his bowl every day & giving him crickets every evening. We're not able to feed him live food more than once a day due to our schedules but Vane seemed to do ok with one live food feed a day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wingedangel":18ox0uxj said:
We went & picked up a little baby today. We went in to thank the shop owners for being kind enough to offer us a beardie free of charge & one ran right up to the glass & followed us around. They have been spending the last 5 hours running around their new viv. They're now scratching away in the corner & making their bed. It's the same corner where Vane used to sleep so it made me cry but also made me quite happy :)

We're getting Vane a little pirate chest that will be engraved with his name for when we get his ashes back.

This little one is called Teach & we have already enjoyed some cuddles as they are calm when they're out before they make a break for it & run like there's no tomorrow!!

I have a quick question about feeding habits - do you feed yours live food each day & ensure that there's a bowl of salad in the viv all the time or alternate between salad & live food?

Sounds like Teach was say " hello nice humans, I like the looks of you " and "pick me ! please pick me !". So off to a great start and he seems to be very much a people beardie and will love snuggles and petting and spending time with his new humans. Sounds like he very much chose you and adopted you.

Is Teach a little hatchling (under 3 months old) , if so AT LEAST TWO life insect feeds per day (three meals per day is better).
More important to give him lots of high quality live bugs when little and growing fast.
A bugs at a time, and continue til he simply looses interest in them ( "I'm too full - no more please" ),and my policy with new baby and hatchlings is first few bugs each day are handfed, it's a bonding thing and works extremely well with lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom