What are bearded dragon shoulder pads used for?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

What are bearded dragon shoulder pads used for?

Postby TheWerewolf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Like the subject title. What are they for? You know, these. The black spots on the shoulders.
I know they are natural but it is freaking me out not knowing what they are used for. So any guesses or answers would be great! :D Thanks in advance.
"There's nothing you can say that will take me away from this life. There's nothing you can do to shut me up when I'm speaking the truth." Kutless, from their song, Shut Me Out.
True Love Is Sacrifice. Just read John 3:16 and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Proud slave of: 1 Bearded Dragon, 6 Cockatiels and half owner of 1 Green-Cheeked Conure.
R.I.P. Pikachu (12/2/10) to (10/16/12)
TheWerewolf
Gray-bearded Poster

Re: What are bearded dragon shoulder pads used for?

Postby esn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:30 am

Bigger shoulder pads means a larger presence. It presents wealth, class, and some very handsome shoulders. Young women dragons have started donning these pads in hopes of matching up to male dragons in the beard-eat-beard world of the Superworm Exchange. Investing in colonies, building up an economy - things female dragons could never hope to achieve before these times. The shoulder pads are representative of a feminist bearded movement. You don't need to be a man to work for your food. It shows the women are not fearful, and can command just as well as any man! Gone are the days of the women basking at home making salads. They're out in the world, doing the same things as the men and taking charge of their future!

The question reminded me of 80's and 90's powersuits, with the huge shoulder pads for women. I have no idea what they're actually for. Most likely for display purposes.
1.2.3 Cresties 0.1.0 Fat Tail 2.5.0 Leopard Gecko 1.2.0 Panthers
1.1.0 Beardie 1.0.0 Savannah Monitor 1.1.0 Desert Ig 0.0.5 Steppe Runners
1.1.0 Blue Tongue Skink 1.0.0 Kingsnake 10.5.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Sand Boa 1.0.0 Ratsnake 3.5.0 Corns 7 Sal species 1.1 Hedgehog
Plus various fosters.
esn
Hatchling Poster

Postby Brieana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:12 am

esn, you are AWESOME. :lol:
Brieana
Hatchling Poster

Postby Mummapinkham » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 am

Brieana wrote:esn, you are AWESOME. :lol:

I second that esn - you are awesome!! Best answer to a question yet!! :lol:
Mummapinkham
Hatchling Poster

Postby bunnyrut » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 am

esn wrote:Bigger shoulder pads means a larger presence. It presents wealth, class, and some very handsome shoulders. Young women dragons have started donning these pads in hopes of matching up to male dragons in the beard-eat-beard world of the Superworm Exchange. Investing in colonies, building up an economy - things female dragons could never hope to achieve before these times. The shoulder pads are representative of a feminist bearded movement. You don't need to be a man to work for your food. It shows the women are not fearful, and can command just as well as any man! Gone are the days of the women basking at home making salads. They're out in the world, doing the same things as the men and taking charge of their future!

The question reminded me of 80's and 90's powersuits, with the huge shoulder pads for women. I have no idea what they're actually for. Most likely for display purposes.

LOL!
bunnyrut
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby wolfysluv » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 am

Geez. I thought they were remnants of their wings from days of old!
wolfysluv
Hatchling Poster

Postby LadyMeridius » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am

HILARIOUS!
Was owned by Fluffy, now tolerated by River
LadyMeridius
Hatchling Poster

Postby TheWerewolf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 am

Very funny esn. :lol: So I guess no one knows what they are for? I thought that maybe they were for mating. Because they are little flaps of skin that are darker than the rest of the body. And when I fiddled with one Nim closed his eyes in pleasure. So maybe why they are dark flaps is because the male holds onto that to mate the female. And they need to be dark for the bearded dragon to see them. So, has anyone studied dragon mating and have seen these shoulder pads used for that?
"There's nothing you can say that will take me away from this life. There's nothing you can do to shut me up when I'm speaking the truth." Kutless, from their song, Shut Me Out.
True Love Is Sacrifice. Just read John 3:16 and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Proud slave of: 1 Bearded Dragon, 6 Cockatiels and half owner of 1 Green-Cheeked Conure.
TheWerewolf
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby wolfysluv » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am

Mmm ... I still say they are wing remnants.
wolfysluv
Hatchling Poster

Postby traceyb73 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

esn wrote:Bigger shoulder pads means a larger presence. It presents wealth, class, and some very handsome shoulders. Young women dragons have started donning these pads in hopes of matching up to male dragons in the beard-eat-beard world of the Superworm Exchange. Investing in colonies, building up an economy - things female dragons could never hope to achieve before these times. The shoulder pads are representative of a feminist bearded movement. You don't need to be a man to work for your food. It shows the women are not fearful, and can command just as well as any man! Gone are the days of the women basking at home making salads. They're out in the world, doing the same things as the men and taking charge of their future!

That is the most comical answer to any question EVER!!!!! :laughhard:
Tracey's babies
1 dog - (yellow Lab) Sully, born 8/9/03
1 beardie - Zoey, born 5/31/12
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby ReptileAddiction » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm

TheWerewolf wrote:Very funny esn. :lol: So I guess no one knows what they are for? I thought that maybe they were for mating. Because they are little flaps of skin that are darker than the rest of the body. And when I fiddled with one Nim closed his eyes in pleasure. So maybe why they are dark flaps is because the male holds onto that to mate the female. And they need to be dark for the bearded dragon to see them. So, has anyone studied dragon mating and have seen these shoulder pads used for that?

except only humans find pleasure in it
ReptileAddiction
Hatchling Poster

Postby traceyb73 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 pm

In all honesty, I've wondered what they were for too. There has to be SOMEONE who knows!
Tracey's babies
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby mudskipper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Do both sexes have these?
Bearded Dragons:
- Papaya (hypotrans leatherback from A1 Reptiles)
- Pineapple (citrus leatherback)
Leopard Geckos:
- Mango (super hypo tangerine carrot tail)
- Dragonfruit (mack snow)
mudskipper
Juvie Poster

Postby traceyb73 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Yes
Tracey's babies
traceyb73
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby TheWerewolf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:28 pm

You got to be kidding me. This is a bearded dragon forum, and nobody knows what the heck shoulder pads are for? I'll stick with something to hold onto for mating. That is the only possible answer that exists.
TheWerewolf
Gray-bearded Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion