friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownie1

Well I guess I had better start at the begining of all this...

I've had Borris the Blue-tongue for about 2 and a half years now. I originally got him with a Bearded dragon I named Seymore and the girl I got them off had housed them together, not knowing the dangers of it. A bit after I got them I tried to seperate them but they both refused to eat and didn't behave normally when I did, so I ended up just letting them live together, and they did so very happily. I never had a problem with dominance of fighting or anything. They did sort of 'cuddle' up together most nights when they went to sleep but it didn't seem like it was one showing their dominance over the other.
About 11 months after I got them Seymore decided to suprise us by laying 3 eggs. Before this everyone, including some professionals, had told us that Seymore was a boy :? . Because the girl who had them before me had no idea on how to look after them she had actually raised Seymore on an entirely meat diet mostly consisting of raw cow heart :x . I tried my hardest to fix her diet but after years of eating the same food she wasn't really interested in changing and most of the time raw mince was all I could get her to eat. Because this was the first time Seymore had ever layed eggs and that she had such a poor diet (and the fact she was about 9 or 10), she had malnutrition and the stress of laying eggs was too much for her and she tragically passed 3 days before the anniversary of my getting them :cry: which just so happened to be the same day we got 2 new 8 day old baby Beardies, a boy Burke and a girl Kallie.
When Seymore passed, even though it was the middle of summer, Borris stopped eating most of the time, stopped being active and just hid all day. He continued like this until the next spring when the babies were big enough not to be scared of him anymore.
From the first day Borris spent time with Kallie I started to notice him behaving normally again. Since then I have regulary gotten them out for supervised 'play dates' and after a few months Borris was completly back to normal.
Borris shows no interest at all in Burke and just ignores him completly. But he acts the same way around Kallie as what he did around Seymore.

I have no idea what this means. There was obviousally something between Borris and Seymore and I think he can tell that Kallie is the same as Seymore but Burke is different.

I have never heard of behaviour like this before between a Bluey and a Beardie, and just thought that others might be interested in my story. And if anybody has any idea what this means I would love to know, I'm not worried about it I just think its a bit weird :)

Jes

Borris and Seymore
P1040819.jpg

Borris and Kallie
P1090462.jpg

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
You know, I know nothing about blue-tongues or their care, so can't say one way or the other about whether housing them together was a good idea, but it's a beautiful story, it really is. :) Sounds like it worked for you - and I'm so sorry for you (and Borris) that Seymore passed on. The pictures are adorable, especially the sleeping one!

Like those stories of tigers raising piglets, or dogs raising kittens... You can't always predict when one animal is going to decide to love another. Heck, people have for centuries considered things like snakes and spiders and scorpions to be their enemies, but plenty of people here keep all three! You never know, but sometimes, it works just beautifully. I'm glad Borris has perked up with a new beardie friend!

RIP Seymore, and to Borris and Kallie (and to poor, ignored Burke - guess he smells too much like a male!), I wish you many years of health and happiness.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's a great story. You just never know where you'll find a friend! I'm sorry that Seymore passed away & was very surprised to hear about Boris had health issues. I was never sure but I think reptiles can become attached to others, even different species, depending on the situation & then get depressed when that friend dies. I've seen it happen between two beardies, so why would this be any different. It's strange to think that lizards have emotions, but I believe they do. We have a 5 yr old beardie named Sweetie & she is as sweet as her name. My husband has been ill from a flu & as her tank is in our bedroom she's been staring at him for a few days now. She's also become very clingy & would spend the day on my shoulder if she could. But I've found she feels better after a cuddle, then takes up her vigil watching my hubby.

Glad Boris was able to find another friend who suits him. I don't think Burke will have any issues with being on his own.

You're a very sympathetic person to be able to pick up on Boris emotions and then find him another friend to be with.
Glad everything has worked out for Boris!
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom