Bowser's thread Rest in Peace Little Man 10/28

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread for my new baby, Bowser.

Bowser Necklace by katiebread, on Flickr

Bowser likes to climb on me and nap under my hair. He's also a daredevil. Today he ran right off of my husband's hand and fell a few feet onto the tile floor. He scared us both, but he seems to be okay! We are really enjoying him, especially during feeding time when he stalks crickets! He's kind of bad at catching them and only eats maybe 8-10 a day. We should get our phoenix worms in the next day or so and then hopefully "the baby" will have an easier time!

Bowser by katiebread, on Flickr

Here's my little gaping boy!

Bowser is tiny by katiebread, on Flickr

No, really, he is TINY.

Reading his Dials by katiebread, on Flickr

"Mom, these thermometers are bunk. You really need to get a digital one this weekend so you can make sure my basking spot is toasty enough. Also, what's with this red light that's on all the time? Also bunk. When is my Reptithingie light getting here? You should pet me now so I can doze off and look adorable."

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
awww, what a cute little guy! i love how he's telling you the proper things to buy in the last picture ;-)

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, Bowser had a wait a few days until bowsersmom got paid and had another weekend to run errands for him. I keep telling myself that they DO survive in the wild, and in Australia at that where all of Mother Nature is out to get you, so a few days under less-than-optimal lighting is not going to kill him. He does gape and pant under his basking spot, so I'm assuming he's at least somewhat comfy.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I wore a polo shirt today and Bowser quickly snuggled up under the collar. I think he could sleep there all night! Also, there were approx. 10-15 extra-small phoenix worms in Bowser's bowl when we left for dinner and I can't find any now, even though I moved his greens all around. Does this mean my baby actually ate a good meal? As the worms are not near the escape artists as crickets, I think he ate them! Yay!
Tomorrow I will get a bright white halogen basking light and a digital thermometer. I accidentally ordered the compact Repithingie instead of the tube, but I think I'm going to try and use it anyway. He is a very tiny dude right now and his viv is only 20 gallons, so if I put it right next to his basking light I think he'll be okay. When the compact light expires I will get the tube. He might need a bigger viv by that time anyway.
I am so excited about Bowser and happy to have a place where I can babble about him cheerfully! :blob5:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
awww he's so cute and ittle :) I'm glad you found the forum and that Bowser is so knowledgeable about what he needs !! :lol: Welcome, and I hope you enjoy babbling away !!! Sounds like you are on the right track with things.
It certainly sounds like he ate the phoenix worms.. they don't usually move very far.. YAY good meal ! :D
Looking forward to hearing more about Bowser and more pics :) Him snuggling under your collar sounds pretty darn cute!
Carrie

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster

Bowser and the Duckie by katiebread, on Flickr

Bowser has been very active the past 2 days when we've taken him out. He wants to run everywhere! He's too little to have free reign, but we did try to give him some floor time yesterday.
Still having UVB and basking temperature issues, which are really starting to tee me off. He's enjoying his phoenix worms and pooping twice a day. I'm hoping for a good growth spurt soon!

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Of course after I posted he only ate one extra-small worm for dinner and put himself to bed. I got him up for a bit to snuggle and see if he would drink, but he just wanted to sleep, so I put him back and tucked him in. I hope he's okay. My impression is that they should be eating like tigers and growing like weeds, and he is doing neither. :/

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Very cute picture. They are quite feisty when they are little. :lol: Glad he's learning about floor time already and enjoying things.
What size tank are you using? the smaller the tank is the harder it is to regulate and get the temps right. It can definitely be a pain though, even in the bigger tanks...
Glad he's eating pretty well and pooping. The growth spurt i'm sure is just around the corner. Take some pictures on a ruler or yardstick if you haven't...it's fun if you can remember to take them every week or two weeks and you document length and width growth :) You'll be amazed!!
Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
You were posting while I was doing the same. I wouldnt' worry too much - as little as he still is he may not be up to eating a ton yet. Also depending on how much he had to eat at the breeder/petstore he may not be used to it yet either and is building up his room in stomach so to speak so far. Most babies poo twice a day , so it sounds like that is right on the money so far... If he is active, pooping, and eating some I wouldn't worry so much. If you wanted to keep a close eye on his weight, go get a digital mailing scale (usually available at Staples, Office Max, etc for like 30-40 bucks) - they weigh within a gram which is plenty accurate enough. You can use a tupperware container and "tare" it out so that on the scale = 0 grams so that he can't run away very fast and is contained for weighting. If you are seeing a good growth rate in his weight weekly then he's probably eating enough for him.
Hope this helps a bit
Carrie

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Overwrought beardie mom instincts for the win!

Bowser pooped a worm this morning, and then ATE IT while I was trying to get a pic for the vet. EW.

Turns out he has pinworms, and he only weighs five grams. The vet gave me something for the worms and some powder to mix with water for "assisted feedings." I hate having to pry open his wee mouth while he struggles. :cry: He fell asleep almost immediately when I put him back in his viv. The vet trip made for a long and frustrating day for both of us. We didn't get home until after 8:30pm.

carpedraconum

Hatchling Member
Bowser is Adorable, and I can't believe that I didn't think of that name consider he is my favorite fighter in Super Smash Brothers. Anyway, the little guy is great and sorry to hear about the pin worms. Prying their mouths open makes you feel terrible. I have been assisting my little girl with feeding cause she is rather scrawny and needs the food. Just makes sure that you know it id for his best interest, and make sure you snuggle with him after a good basking so that he doesn't start to associate you with force feeding.

Drew

MorlasMom

My daughter loved the picture of him on the duck! She then proceeded to ask me why Morla had to grow up. He's very adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom