Worrisome new Mommy has a cricket count question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explora

I've been worrying about the cricket question for some time :/ I've had Atlas for almost two months, and I give him a dozen crickets in the morning along with lots of cactus and either collard greens or cilantro. He gobbles the crickets up and then chomps on a few pieces of cactus, but by the end of the day he'll usually finish the cactus and munch on his repti-pellets. Basically, he might not be getting the "right" amount of crickets, but the little tubster is certainly not starving lol. Any opinions? He's pooping fabulously and seems otherwise very healthy and happy, and VERY active. He's a little big for his age, and my roommate (who works at PetSmart and is studying to be a vet) thinks it's because I'm feeding him such a veggie-heavy diet.

Here are a few pics for reference, taken tonight
IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg
IMG_2047.jpg

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Actually loading up on protein is what makes them grow. I would give more crickets, and stop feeding the pellets. My beardie used to go through 20-30 crickets per day, sometimes per feeding if he's feeling particularly hungry. I've read that babies can eat up to 100 crickets in a day (seems a bit excessive but meh) but I think a normal upper limit is around 50. I would keep it up with the veggies though, because babies and juveniles often don't develop a taste for it. You may find that if you feed more proteins, he might cut back on his veggies.

But, as the cliche goes, there are more than one ways to skin a cat (I wouldn't try it though, the cat might not appreciate it). So if what you're doing works for you, then cool. Most people on here though tend to load up on feeders when they're babies, and worry about the veggies when they're closer to adulthood.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
I focused on feeding the protien first when they were little and growing and then the greens 2nd. I have never had the need to feed pellets at all. And now that they are older I feed more greens now and not so many feeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom