Worried for my 2 yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Ok so I'll try to be as detailed as possible on what happened and everything. Noodle climbed on her branch to the very top and I guess found out the branch can't support her whole body because she fell over hit her head on the other branch below and fell in between the branch and the glass of the tank. This happened on Monday.

She was all pancaked out, her beard is charcoal black and she is slumped over, and so is her head. She isn't raising her head at all and it she will close one eye and take forever to open it back up.Anyway this is a picture of a gash that she has above her eye. I found it yesterday and was told I could clean it with diluted Betadine until it looked like weak tea. So I have been doing that since yesterday.

20130616_201914_zps88be5441.jpg

And this is the gash as of today

20130619_151130_zpsb9a8019d.jpg

As of today I just gave her a salad of red peppers and cilantro. I would of used mustard greens but they are sort of withered and not looking so hot so I didn't want to make her sick from bad greens Anyway I am excited because I put 2 supers on her salad and tried to hide them in her salad to make it enticing well she found both of them and ate them. I'm not sure about her greens I don't want to freak her out by me watching/walking in on her but at least she ate some supers that's a start. Well thats all she has eaten to day is those 2 supers and I'm worried because she hasn't had any calcium since either Sunday or Monday. Ok and as of now she has calmed down a little and I went to clean her gash with more Betadine when I noticed her head was peeling on her left side of her face above her eye. Well I didn't force it off it just peeled off on its own and this is what was underneath.

20130619_151107_zpsc64b3900.jpg

And this is after I cleaned it with some Betadine with diluted water

20130619_151621_zpsea5c8b58.jpg

The wound is still kind of bleeding I have been trying to get it to stop its not as bad as in the picture its more of just a small dot of blood. ANyway here are her tank specs to so you know

How old is your dragon? 2 years old
How long have you had your dragon? For about a month and a half
How long is your dragon? about 18 and a half inches
What is the sex of your dragon? Female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? A 40 gallon 36x18x18
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Newspaper going to upgrade to tiles when I get paid
Do you use UVB lights? She has a reptisun 10.0 tube
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? The reptisun is a fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Reptisun 10.0
How old is your UVB bulb? Brand new only about a month old
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? I bought a fixture for the UVb and she can get about 6-8 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes, it is a household Everyday Living clear bulb 70W.
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? I have a CHE that she came with but I don't use it my room stays between 68-70 at night.
How long are lights on each day? 12 hrs, 8:30 am to 8:30 pm
What are the basking temps? 100-105
What is the cool side temp? about 75-80
What is the night time temp? 68-70
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer with wire and probe.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? On her hammock but I got the temps form her branch and just made the hammock the same height as her branch so they have the same temps
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. She ate crickets, until people told me super worms are better so I started feeding her them yesturday. I feed her a mixture of mustard greens, cilantro, green and red pepper
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Once a day with leaving her salad bowl in her tank if she decides to eat any other time. I feed her around 10-10:30 am so she has 2 hours to bask before she eats to get active.
How many live feeders do you offer at time? 5
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes the supers got a variety of food. the worms get cthe stalk from the mustard greens
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Yes the crickets got Fluker's cricket quencher and Fluker's Calcium with vitamin D3. I have dusted the crickets once this week and the worms got dusted today.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes sort of a brown tube with white stuff at the end. It does stink but not the clear the room smell or water to your eyes
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? She has been bathed maybe 3-5 times a week she is shedding so I was trying to help her shed
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? No
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It doesn't look really bad. Just keep putting the Betadine on it, and I'm sure it will go away in a couple of days.

At this age, it's fine that he/she (?) can't remember if it was a boy or girl (sorry), anyway it's ok that she hasn't had calcium since Sunday. He's not going to get MBD overnight. I always keep liquid calcium on hand incase my dragons stop eating. Plus I give it to them once a week, on top of dusting their feeders 3x a week, just to be sure they get enough. Liquid calcium is absorbed by the body so much easier.

So, don't worry too much about that cut, it should be fine. And if you are worried about caclium, order some liquid calcium for times they don't eat. (And trust me there will be times you will freak out because they can go off food for quite awhile, especially in the winter time)

Liquid Calcium:
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=56

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you I am thinking about just going ahead and ordering her liquid calcium just and take your advice and give it to her in times like this.. For the syringe how many miligrams do you give it to them? Also I forgot to mention when she walks her left side sort of has a thump to her walk. Is it just because her leg might be bruised a little.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oki05":35uqep7f said:
Thank you I am thinking about just going ahead and ordering her liquid calcium just and take your advice and give it to her in times like this.. For the syringe how many miligrams do you give it to them?

It comes with a chart, so you will have to know her body weight. it's .1 ml per 100 grams. So if she is 350 grams, it's .35 mls. But like I said it comes with the dosing chart and syringe.

You may want to order the bigger bottle for $8. if you plan on using that more than just once a week. :D

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oki05":6ms8tcm1 said:
Also I forgot to mention when she walks her left side sort of has a thump to her walk. Is it just because her leg might be bruised a little.

Yes, that could definitely be it. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or better. Also remember that if she did hurt it a little, dragons seem to take a longer time to get over things. More than a dog or a cat. So she could limp on it for 2 weeks. I had a dragon that jumped off her basking spot. She limped for almost a month. Then she was totally fine. As long as she is using it and doesn't seem to not be able to walk on it at all, she will be fine.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks so much for your help its nice to know I'm not over reacting on everything

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
For the liquid calcum does it matter if it comes with or without vitamin D3?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oki05":2a8ey3jq said:
For the liquid calcum does it matter if it comes with or without vitamin D3?

Depends on what kind of UVB you use. I get with D3 for my dragons that are under Reptisun 10.0. For the ones under the Powersun MVB, I get it without. I think I read you use the Reptisun, so I would get it with D3. They put a very little amount in the calcium, so you don't have to worry about D3 Overdose.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oki05":ck7fg5dr said:
Ok thanks so much for your help its nice to know I'm not over reacting on everything

Don't worry, I've been there. I was so worried when I got my first dragon. Now I don't worry nearly as much. Plus I have a great support group. :D

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok well thanks for the help I went ahead and ordered her the liquid calcium

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well her lights just came on about an hour and 15 mins ago. she's basking giving me the stink eye for looking at her. I'll have to see if there are any improvements when I try to feed her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom