Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try and make the story short:

So I made a friend on here, Kristine, who lives under two hours away from me and she was looking for a True Fire Skink for her son. Her son fell in love with the pictures I posted of my baby. Anyways, I went to the Springfield, M.A. Petco which is one of the worst I have seen and saw what I thought baby TFS (he was a TFS just not a baby, turns out he's an undersized one year old, way to go Petco) and I pm'd her my phone number and told her about this baby. My boyfriend was at Town Faire Tire at the time waiting for his car's new tire to be put on. After working out everything with Kristine, I buy the TFS to take to her. While waiting with my boyfriend at Town Faire Tire this woman asked what we had just bought. And she was all: "What? Why would you buy a lizard? Lizards aren't pets. Only cats and dogs are pets." I shrugged it off and said "Someone has to love them."

So that brings me to my question for everyone: "Why/How did you end up with your baby?"

I don't even know how I fell for reptiles, I just did and I have never regretted (much :lol: :wink:) as most of you can tell by my six precious, pet store rescues :lol:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
One day several years ago, my very dear neighbor Audrey brought my grandson (5-who I adopted as a baby) a tree frog she had found in her yard. When asked, she said it would live in captivity just fine. We went to Petco the next morning to find a suitable habitat for the frog. When asked, they said it would live in captivity for...about 3 or 4 days. Of course, huge tears from the 5 year old, who didn't want the frog to die, and knew we would need to release him.

We could not leave Petco without another frog, but the lady said they could not be held. I wouldn't get a fish aquarium, as I remembered my mom dealing with cleaning those. We eventually decided on a beardie. I never thought I would own a reptile, but was so proud of my boy....and the beardies were cute.

As in many cases, the dragon, Harry, became mine. The poor guy lived on sand, had the wrong UVB (which I don't believe I ever changed), had a red light on all night, and had a water dish in his tank, but was incredibly hearty. No sign ever of MBD...He died at age 4 from a respiratory infection, which I had no clue he had. I did not know about this forum, or even that there were vets who saw reptiles. I was devastated.

Since then, I have brought home 3 dragons, Cissy, Fred, and Buster. They are my babies. My son often says, "Mom, you know he's not going to answer you, right?" Early on, I swore I would get Audrey's first child Play-doh when he came along. Now I realize what a blessing I have received from her gift of that little tree frog, and give her kids books rather than Play-doh.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
That's a beautiful story, Ester. I'm so sorry to hear about Harry but am so happy to hear your other three are thriving.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Beardie Tales]

It truly saddens me that so many people honestly believe "a pet" could only be a furry being.

According to dictionary.com:
pet
noun
1. any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

And in World English Dictionary:
1. a tame animal kept in a household for companionship, amusement, etc
Other dictionary sources I had checked never made reference to only a furry animal could be a pet, so why people would believe that is just ignorance, in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got Pookie because I had major beardie withdrawals after my ex left with his son's 2 beardies, who I loved to death. Pookie was a total impulse buy as I had nothing to house him in.
Digi came to me from a friend here. I fell in love with her after seeing so many ultra adorable pics of her and just had to have her.
MoMo was originally a foster for another member on this site, but of course, I fell in love with her too and just had to keep her.
Then last, but definitely not the least, Gianna. She's Pookie and Digi's baby girl :mrgreen:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I could only imagine what those withdrawals must have been like. Jace was planned, but poorly. I got the bearded dragon starter kit thinking "Oh, Petco says we need this and they must be right since it is their job." Ha. Haha. I've since learned better. I think all of my babies have been impulse buys, but thanks to the iPhone I could get a quick gist of what was needed for them.

Pookie and Digi sure did make a beautiful daughter :love5:

Annalee

Juvie Member
Goonie":2km9gay1 said:
[Moved from General to Beardie Tales]

It truly saddens me that so many people honestly believe "a pet" could only be a furry being.

According to dictionary.com:
pet
noun
1. any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

And in World English Dictionary:
1. a tame animal kept in a household for companionship, amusement, etc
Other dictionary sources I had checked never made reference to only a furry animal could be a pet, so why people would believe that is just ignorance, in my opinion.

:

I brought my beardie, Luther, with me to PetSmart to get another light for my baby and the store employees kept commenting that it was very nice to see a pet without fur for once taken to the store.

I got my first dragon after my hampster had passed after 2 wonderful years. I wanted another small pet that I could spend time with to help fill the void and after looking at many different options, I decided on beardies. I found a beautiful little one on craigslist and he ended up being very sick. I had the right set up, temps and such so I couldn't figure out what was going on... He had a problem that the vet in my area couldn't diagnose. He instead gave him a couple shots and sent me on our way. He passed about a month later after spending the whole month, not lethargic, not inactive but seemingly depressed. Like he had given up.

As sad as my first encounter with beardies was, I fell in love with caring for my little guy, even in his sickness. That's how I got into rescuing and now I have 3 beautiful babies of my own.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I got Vash for my 17th b-day, I never even knew that lizards could or would be pets.
I absolutely was like that lady, didn't really like the thought of lizards as pets, but I
was 17 all I ever had were dogs and cats so of course I never thought of lizards like that.
So my friend and I went out one Fri night and I was reckless never called my parents I was
grounded when I got home cuz my friend and I were not at her house like we said...we went
out to dinner and I didn't call my parents...bad teenager :lol:...so we got back late and I was
being yelled at all the way home, which sucked but my fault for not saying anything. So I was grounded
to my room for 2 weeks no TV, no phone or radio...so I was like "darn it, this weekend will be boring..."
I also couldn't go anywhere or have anyone over. I walked into my room and saw this tiny 6 week old dragon
just sitting there under his heat lamp, his cage by my bed so I could pick him up from my bed. My parents
were still mad that I left without saying where I was and when I'd be back but they said "He's yours...happy
b-day...but since you were out without saying anything we thought about taking him away and we care
for him for 2 weeks but we're letting you keep him, your weekend will already be boring enough as it is."
So basically he became mine, I was gonna get him back anyway but for 2 weeks he might of bonded with
my parents, so I am glad they let me keep him...best weekend ever! even though I was grounded. :lol:.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Well, I have two beardies, so I guess I'll just start with my first; Fredericka.

It was probably the 13th of January that I got over my fear of lizards... But I wanted to hold one again, they were so fasinating, so the next day, I discovered, I really wanted a pet lizard. And so, the wonderful search for the perfect lizard began- Iguana? Nope too big. Leopard gecko? Nope only is up at night. Fat tailed gecko? Nope. None of them really caught my interest... Until I found a beautiful lizard, one with spikes, and gorgeous coloring, I kept looking up pictures of these creatures in awe, then I researched, and researched, and researched... Then, the day after my birthday, we went in search of a bearded dragon. We went to a small pet store, they had an adult for 120.00$, I wanted a baby that I could watch it grow. Then we went to petsmart, right as I found the bearded dragons, the first one that caught my eye, I wanted. I fell in love with the little normal looking beardie, it was so alert, it watched my every move. I stayed with 'him' while my mom got an employee, he came over, took him out, put him in a tiny cup, then we signed the papers, and then tons of bad advice came, all the research went down the drain. He told us to get a starter kit, told us to feed him only 3-4 crickets A. DAY. Then a month later, I found this site, and was told all the stuff I was doing wrong, my beardie went from a skinny, tiny little beardie, to a beautiful little baby, that I could not love any more than I do now. A few months later, we found out that she was a little girl, her name used to be just 'Fred' but now it's 'Fredericka' and I still call her Fred often, I guess I never broke myself of that name. :lol: If you never knew, I named her after the bearded dragon from the Nim's island movie.

Now for my new beardie, Oliver.
I was at petsmart getting crickets for Fred, and I went to the reptile tanks and I saw this beautiful orange and GREEN colored baby, I put my hand up to the glass, and he ran up to it and started glass dancing, I started to cry, because I knew I couldn't take the little cutie home.... Then my mom asked, 'Do you think you will be able to take care of two bearded dragons?' I knew I could give as much love, and dedicate enough time to this little guy as I do with Fred, so I answered yes. Then she went and got a cactus for a basking spot, while I stood there, telling him that he's going home with me, and he won't have to worry about anything. I also told him that he will have a big sister, but not to mind her because he would have his own tank. Then we signed the papers, and the petstore guy said that he's glad that the dragon was going to a good home, and that most of the employees loved the little guy. Then we came home, put him in Fred's 20g, put a basking bulb in there, with paper towels, and he is doing great! I've only seen a couple stress marks on him! (Two bumps! :blob8: ) the two times I have seen marks, was outside, getting natural UVB (don't have enough money for enough Reptisun just yet. ;) ) and when he glass dances from his cactus. But that's understandable.

And those are the stories of my two sweet babies. And the strange thing is, they were both adopted on the 16th day, but 6 months apart.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
A wonderful story, Hoopyscoop. Would you please tell your mom I think she's awesome and give her a big hug from me?

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
Mine goes back to early childhood. I used to drive my mom nuts because I would pick up worms and put them in my pockets. She wouldn't see my "friends" until after she did laundry and had dried worms in my pocket lol.. Eventually she got smart and would see my pockets bulging and tell me to go outside! Hah anyways fast forward I always caught lizards and frogs outside. My mom of course would never let me keep them, she would always say "they'll jump down your throat!" In fact she jumped out of her chair and ran to the other side of the room when I brought a tiny salamander inside once.

When I turned 18 I went to a pet store with my friend and decided I should finally buy a lizard since mom isn't there to say "no". I was going to buy an Anole but my friend pointed out a juvenile iguana. I said okay! Buy all the supplies I need and bring Tiny Hendrix or just Tiny home :) needless to say my mother freaked momentarily and couldn't believe that one day she would be able to wear a leash.

9 years later I still have Tiny and my mother had even bonded with her before I moved out.. She would feed her when I wasn't home and sit and talk to her.. She would never touch her but cared for her well being :)

Since Tiny I've owned Pictus Geckos, Crested Geckos, a Gargoyle Gecko, a Viper-Tailed gecko and of course my bearded dragon Daenerys. At one time I had 22 reptiles... Unfortunately geckos don't live as long as my iguana.. I still have 2 Crested Geckos, my iguana and Dani :) eventually I want another gargoyle gecko and would love to own a Leachianus (aka Leachie) Rhacodactylus geckos are just awesome :)

I'd still love to go into Herpetology or become an exotic vet.. As someone else stated reptiles need love too!!! I always found it funny when people would see my scratches from when my iguanas leg would slip and ask if I was playing with my cat and when I would say it was my iguana they would be like "omg!! Why would you own such a horrible creature?!"

The local pet shop had Santa, blurry but you can see how little she was.. Was his first reptile pic lol
TinyandSanta.jpg

Tiny spoiled in her huge Cages By Design Cage
null-3.jpg

Holy crap I wrote a book! Sorry :p

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Tiny is beautiful and I love her cage!

I will admit I am a more admire-from-afar girl when it comes to iguanas and snakes. You should try leopard geckos. They have a life of 20 years and are pretty easy to care for. MY TFS also has a life expectancy of 2 years... I'll be 41 :shock:

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member

Iguanas def have personality! But are a big commitment as well. Usually when anyone says they want one I usually give them the they're huge lizards and I hope you plan to dedicate half your life to one speech. :p

The last time we were in the pet store I was telling my girlfriend how I've never owned a leopard gecko but wouldn't mind owning one.. Maybe when we have more space and Dany outgrows the 20gal :)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Leos are get, but are wild babies. People think beardies think they have wings. Nissa LOVED to make huge leaps of faith when she was a baby because a death-defying fall was better than being held :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom