Why dont people listen!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Well i just had to rant!

Last year an old friend contacted me on facebook saying he had got a dragon but she was a bit ill. I went over all his set up and found he had fallen into the trap of listening to the pet shop, had zilla lights, sand, wasnt feeding enough, wasn't bathing etc. I wen through all this with him, when it got to changing the lights he told be he trusted the pet shop more and wasn't going to change them. Today i get a panicked message saying she is really ill and he dosnt know if she will make it!

Honestly i sometimes feel im banging my head against a brick wall here! Why do people ask for help and then not listen? now that poor dragon is very sick! I just hope he takes her to the recommended vet i go to, but then again there is a dodgy one who is a bit cheaper but i will never go back to him, he really dosnt know much! (tried to sex gizmo by poking a large stick up her vent when she was 3 months old!)

Any way, Im just really very frustrated and angry and i knew you would all understand!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
wow, that is very frustrating... i'm sorry about that!! Unfortunatly a lot of people are always looking for ways to "shortcut" and its hard... especially when they asked for your help and then they decide against what you recommended...
*heres to hoping the beardie gets the help it needs*

isdrake

Hatchling Member
That must be frustration. But I understand that some people will trust a petshop (who works with animals and are suposted to know how to take care of them) than a private person. I think that referring to good sources (books, sites, articles) would help a lot to convince people.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yes, i know the shop he went to, and the RSPCA has been called out quite a few times, but because his friend worked there.......

I always quote this site, and try and offer as many resources as possible! But i guess some people just dont want to know!

Iowuk, sure just drop me a line, or start a new post and you can get everyones imput!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
well app she is 'just a bit constipated' so he thinks all is well, i told him this was serious and it meant he had to change things with the tank, but he said he dosnt want to. It was that bad the vet has given medication to try and loosen the blockage, but hes still in denial! I hope she dosnt suffer too much, or that he finds a good home for her!

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
How close of a friend are they? I'd seriously tell them that THEY are killing their beardie and should find a new home for it if THEY do not care to take care of it properly!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Not very close, i haven't really spoken to him in a few years! He said how expensive it was and didn't really want to pay for xrays or blood tests!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Buggsy":35a1vyav said:
Not very close, i haven't really spoken to him in a few years! He said how expensive it was and didn't really want to pay for xrays or blood tests!

well that just so happens to come with owning a pet... not just a beardie but any pet. You should always have an emergency fund because things happen that are uncontrolable and you HAVE to get veterinary care!! :angry5: I mean no one WANTS to pay for that stuff but he chose to have the pet he needs to take responsiblilty.. *sorry i'm off my soap box now* :D

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
It is part of the territory of pet ownership, one must understand that those are required things and if we can't provide, we shouldn't own them! If $$$ is a problem, often you can ask a vet for a payment plan as many do understand it's hard to come up with the bucks!

What gets me is that your friend knows you're a bd owner and how you care for yours, it should be seen that you do know what you are doing. Maybe offer to take it if they really can't take care of it as it should be taken care of!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I wish I could! he seems to think Gizmo is juat a giant and his female is fine (i think shes very skinny, but have only seen pics once) Gizmo is a big girl (22" and 700g) but she just comes from a normal pet shop (i know but it is an independent one who have received awards for how they care for the animals - i still dont trust 100% but they are very good and always ask my advice on something beardy related while im there!)

Im sure i will get another paniced msg in a few weeks when it happens again, i just feel so bad, he really thinks hes taking good care of her because thats what the shop told him and 'he's been breeding for 10 years'. I give up i really do, besides stealing her away theirs not much ill do while he still thinks shes a ok!

Livey

Extreme Poster
Buggsy":3c9m412n said:
I wish I could! he seems to think Gizmo is juat a giant and his female is fine (i think shes very skinny, but have only seen pics once) Gizmo is a big girl (22" and 700g) but she just comes from a normal pet shop (i know but it is an independent one who have received awards for how they care for the animals - i still dont trust 100% but they are very good and always ask my advice on something beardy related while im there!)

Im sure i will get another paniced msg in a few weeks when it happens again, i just feel so bad, he really thinks hes taking good care of her because thats what the shop told him and 'he's been breeding for 10 years'. I give up i really do, besides stealing her away theirs not much ill do while he still thinks shes a ok!

Steal :wink:
Poor thing just because of his incompetence she shouldn't suffer :/

demonsmomma

Juvie Member
i hear ya its very annoying when people dont take care of their beardies properly i was even at fault for this when i got my first beardie demon i cared for her just as my ex boyfriends friend said to and as the pet store said to. little did i know the guy was mean to his by picking it up by the tail( he said thats how a book showed him to do it) and he kept it in sand, and fed it every few weeks, and kept it in a cold garage where one night the temp was 55 he said this was ok because the desert where they were from where very cold, he also thought he had a boy but i looked and he had a girl he didnt believe me till his rex layed eggs, and he also said that when my demon was no eating for two weeks it was brumation sadly i believed him but when demon had her first seizure i took her in and she passed away the next afternoon i will always miss her but then i found this site and found max off craigslist in good health and got a good deal and thanks to this site and my paranoia max is 13 months old 19 inches long and 520 grams and very healthy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom