Why coil UVBs are bad! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
The nature center I volunteer at got in these two beautiful bearded dragons who are suffering from terrible eye problems due to the use of coil UVB bulbs.
This poor leather couldn't even open his eyes at all. He couldnt see a thing
07a0245adbb81e37b07cf52102158f22.jpg

His sister wasn't as bad but she had trouble seeing as well
8e6b326510da8935c1b0e8f68b3864bf.jpg

It's a shame too, they are absolutely gorgeous! I hope they can recover quickly
693726a6042ab220047567d0c971aad7.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Health]

Poor babies! :( Hope the burns will be able to be reversed and they make a full recovery.

For those who doesn't understand how coil bulbs could cause this type of damage, it is because the level of UV emitted are too powerful and thus causing burns around the eyes and eventually the cornea itself, leading to blindness.

rutro123

Goonie":3g4c6410 said:

Poor babies! :( Hope the burns will be able to be reversed and they make a full recovery.

For those who doesn't understand how coil bulbs could cause this type of damage, it is because the level of UV emitted are too powerful and thus causing burns around the eyes and eventually the cornea itself, leading to blindness.

with this said, what if a coil UVB is on top of a screen: being a screen cuts out +/- 50% of the UVB? would this then make a coil safe???

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
rutro123":sscbk7v2 said:
Goonie":sscbk7v2 said:

with this said, what if a coil UVB is on top of a screen: being a screen cuts out +/- 50% of the UVB? would this then make a coil safe???
Coils are never a good idea. No matter how they are placed, the rays are still too concentrated and can only be received by the dragon if they are sitting straight under it. Tube UVB lights cover a bigger space and don't emit too powerful of UVB rays, they are always what should be used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom