who uses heat tape and also keeps roaches in the garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewl495

Juvie Member
I want to move my roaches out to the garage, because I really want to get another beardie. Right now I keep the roach bin and feeding bin in the bottom enclosure and everything stays a perfect temp. However, as I said i want another beardie so I need to move the roaches out to the garage. Should I just continue with the ceramic heat fixture on top of the screen or go with heat tape? The thing that bothers me is the constant change in temps out in the garage. How do you regulate temps, can i use a thermostat with a CHI, is that what you do? Or should I go with heat tape?
Julie

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
Ok this is what I have, going to be kind of hard to explain but here goes. I have sterilite bins with 8x8 screened holes in the lid. I build a rack that holds 2 bins and 2 bins for supers (alot smaller). I routered a switch back shape into the bottoms of the shelves for the dubia and laid heat cable in them. Now the rack has no back only a small peice to stop the bin from sliding out the rear. And each shelf is only 3/4 the length of the bin so when you slide it in its only sitting on 3/4 of the bottom of the bin. So in the winter I place the holes in the lids under the shelf and in the summer I turn the lids around so they are open to let heat escape. Each bin is on its own thermostat and set to 87 degrees and it never flucuates more then 3 degrees. It works pretty well so far. Ill try and get pics when I get home. Let me kniw if that makes sence.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks I'd like to see pics. I'm just not sure how I want to set everything up.
Julie

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
Ok so heres some pics of my rack.
This is what it looks like under each bin.
2011-11-20153340.jpg

Heres the area at the back to let heat excape in the summer.
2011-11-20153406.jpg

Heres the bin in the summer I turn the lid around not the whole bin.
2011-11-20153420.jpg

Heres the whole unit. The top has 2 supers containers.
2011-11-20153454.jpg

Hope that makes a little more sence. Let me know if you have any more questions. Mike.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Mike, I thought I had replied back to you with more questions but when I saw that you posted the link to another thread I realized that I hadn't.

I basically just wanted to know where you get the heat cord and if it hooks up the same as heat tape. I need to do some research on it.
Julie

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
Yeah it hooks up the same as heat tape. Its from exo terra its 50w (i wish it was higher) and it just plugs in. 22.5 ft cost me 25 bucks.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cool Thanks for taking the time to explain and add pics for me! Do you have it on a thermostat as well?

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
I dont have it on a thermostat it dosent get hot enough here for it to need to turn off. Its only 50w spread over 22.5 ft. So it dosent get super hot but with the rack I built once its warm it stays warm. My temps range between 80-95 winter to summer. I could put it on a thermostat for summer but its fine. And I have also insulated my garage door so the temp stays pretty consistant through out the day. And if the door has been closed all day it feels warmer in there now with the cable and a heat pad running all the time. But it could just be phycological. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom