Which vitamin - Herptivite or Reptivite - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
The title says it all. I'm wanting to get a good vitamin for my dragon, and I seem to only really find two.

Herptivite seems to have phosphorous and Reptivite seems to have Vitamin A instead of beta carotine. I hear you want to avoid Vitamin A in favor of betacarotine, and I also hear you want to avoid phosphorous (aka stuff in fireflies that kills dragons).

Herptivite also says mix with Rep-Cal (the pellet food? mine won't eat any pellets, although I do have some Rep-Cal).

So which do I choose?

Thanks for any advice.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not an expert and I don't have any scientific reason why, but I use the Herptivite for my beardies. They are both healthy and I believe they're doing just fine with it.

-Kaleen

SuzukiRider

Hatchling Member
Here's a little write up on Reptivite from Big Al's online. This will be what I'll be ordering.

Product Details
Zoo Med's ReptiVite with D3 is a complete vitamin, mineral, and amino acid complex specifically formulated for reptiles. ReptiVite is calcium based to ensure healthy bone growth with the correct 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. Originally developed for the San Diego Zoo to correct soft-shell problems in turtles, it is now used by some of the most respected zoos and animal parks throughout the world. The first reptile vitamin to include the complete amino acid complex, an essential component in protein digestion. ReptiVite does not contain artificial additives or fillers like soy, yeast, or sucrose. Use 2-3 times weekly on your reptiles food. Made in the U.S.A.

laservet

Reptile vitamins are kind of a shot in the dark. Because of a lack of funding for basic research on reptiles, nobody knows what the minimum (and maximum) daily requirements of any vitamin or mineral is for a Beardie. Second, reptile vitamins are not subject to any of the truth in advertising or quality control standards as human vitamins. Reptile vitamins are a lot like health food supplements, completely unregulated and untested. When independent groups have tested reptile vitamins in many cases they have found that the contents do not match the labeled contents. The ARAV tested reptile calcium supplements and found that some contain little calcium, some contain unacceptably high levels of VitD, and some contain contaminants like arsenic or lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom