where do people get these dumb ideas about dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so this lady comes over to look at my computer i have for sale. she brings her mother and her daughter. and as always peaches is clung to my shirt on my shoulder. the daughter was very intrested in peaches so i was showinger her peaches and offered to let her pet peaches then the mother steps in oh no it takes a highly trained person to handle these dangerous lizards they bite and are highly poisionus. i just stared and said what? :shock: . then we argue back and fourth on how they are not dangerous and not poisionus finaly i said if she was a dangerous poisionus animal would i do this and then kissed peaches on the nose.
i really dont know where anyone would get this idea of a bearded dragon unless they watched the movie holes one too many times.
does this face look dangerous to you?lol.
DSC_0119.jpg

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm really cautious with Budo. I open doors slowly and don't talk loudly when he's around. And when we're sitting on the couch (like right now), I lunge whenever he makes the slightest movement. He walked right off the edge of a couch once and got stuck between the couch and the wall. I was freaking out. And just a few minutes ago he kept preparing to jump off the arm of the couch to the ground. If I hadn't been ready, he would have dived. Will he ever learn?

supertrisha

Juvie Member
I guess your level of caution depends on your beardie. When I take Dragon, I walk normally, talk normally, and bend over if I need to. I just hold him on my shirt with a hand- you get used to it. Dragon is very mellow- he only twice has tried to get off me- that's when I was sitting down. My other beardie, though, is wild. I am still careful with her, only because I don't know her as well yet.

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
It also depends onthe age of your beardie.
I was alot more cautious when Wiggles was little now he's fully grown I'm a bit more relaxed as I know his behaviours and what he's likely to do, we've become very used to each other and trust each other.

But i'm always aware that he may suprise me. On the very few occassions I've taken him out I've been very careful constantly reassuring him having his towel with me so he can hide in it if he gets a bit scared (and kitchen roll incase he needs the toilet, and of course hand sanitiser for people who want to handle him).

In our house Wiggles does jump off the sofa regularly (its not a very high sofa), i try to put soft things about to soften his landings or let him climb down my legs (this can result in scratches). He's tougher than people may think tho, and has never hurt himself. When he's running loose in the bedroom he jumps off the bed (not a low bed) but he's started doing controlled descent clingling to the duvet which is better, my little boy loves to climb and jump

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Hmm.. alright thanks everyone :) That made sense. My dragon is also calm especially when he's on my shoulder, so I'll be alright now. But I will make sure he's safe along with a leash.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
my baby is always trying tojump off of me but only when im sitting down. Other than that he is fine but when he is scampering around on my desk, the little daredevil has some favorite jumping spots. So ive strategically placed pillows under them =D

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
peaches is a lazy lizard who doesent move much. i do have a leash for her when its warm out. ricco is a jumper! i have to watch him carefully when hes out so he doesent jump and hurt himself. he will have a leash to when hes big enough. every year here petco has a pet costume contest last year we bought a pony dressed as a unicorn. this year the kids want to take peaches they are going to put some yellow spots on her and wear orange jump suits like the movie holes

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
MagillaGorilla":9a041 said:
WOW i didnt even realize the yellow spotted lizards were bearded dragons until you post made me google it! lol
http://www.freewebs.com/theworldofholes/lizards.jpg
:laughhard:
Oh no!! It's the yellow spotted lizard! LOL! The guy looks so terrified. "They're going to eat me!"

I remember watching that movie many years ago and wondering how they got such poisonous lizards onto the set. That was before I knew anything about beardies.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
When the weather gets warm and sunny outside, I take one of my beardies, Ming, for walks around the neighborhood on my shoulder, all the time. He's very social, and will let anyone handle him in order to suck up all the attention he can get. The neighborhood kids just love him......

As for the adults that haven't seen him before, the first comment I get is "Is that real?" Some people are curious about him and ask all sorts of questions, which I happily answer, but what I really get a kick out of, is when grown men see me with him, realize that he IS real and are absolutely scared to death of him! I have a neighbor who's about 6'4", and he's terrified of him and won't come within 3 feet of me if I'm holding him. His two little boys pet Ming all the time, and they think its hysterical that "Daddy's afraid of the lizard!" LOL

bugaboo

Some people are really stupid about animals which seems weird since we are surrounded by them. I brought me cat to work once and had her upstairs in the lunch room until a bunch of Asians saw and ran screaming down the stairs! It's a cat not a Tiger! I haven't subjected my beardie to the public yet but I will when he gets older.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Oh I totally forgot to post this earlier (too disturbed by the scary heater man) About 2 years ago I was outside with Daliz and my crazy neighbors across the street were sitting on the porch drinking as usual. They saw us and leaned forward till they about fell out of their chairs and exclaimed, "O Lordy, that's a supersnake!!" I managed to contain my laughter as I ran inside.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Hehe. These keep me laughing. Smushed bunnies....

ANYWAYS, on Christmas morning I had Reggie out and he was sitting in the window watching it snow, but it wasn't a real snow, it was a light snow. We haven't had snow on Christmas since I was 4. 8 years people! Then my aunt, 2 uncles, and grandmother came over to visit, and I showed them Reggie.

My grandmother's first comment when he crawled up my arm was, "He moves just like a real one!"

:|

:laughhard:

-- Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom