When to move to a big boy tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvc41

Ok, yet another new beardie owner question...when is it time to move up to a bigger tank. Our baby dragon is currently in a 20 gal. long tank. I really don't know how old he is, he's about 6-7" long nose to tip of the tail. We've had him going on 2 weeks but who knows how old he was when we picked him up at Petsmart. I just picked up a very nice 55gal. reptile tank on Craig's list. Question is how soon should move in day be? I've read that a smaller beardie will feel more secure in a smaller tank and that baby dragons need their basking area a little warmer than adults do so the smaller tank allows them to get a little closer to the basking lamp and therefore keeps the basking area warmer. Any of this make sense? Any of it correct? Any advised on how soon I should move him in the bigger tank?

Dennis

I have a 22 day old beardie in a 20 gallon long and it has plenty of space.

He's no bigger than my thumb right now tho lol.

I've been shopping for a 55gallon or a 40gal breeder as well

But yes you're right babies need more around 100-110 basking temps. i keep mine in the very high 90s.

This is my first beardie, so I'm no expert by no means.

Dvc41

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. With the basking lamp in the lone back corner he has a good variation in temp. It's about 100 degrees right under the basking lamp, low to mid 90's in the middle of the tank and mid to hit 80's at the opposite end of the tank. At night it's usually 80ish and i keep a heat rock in the one corner in case he needs some more heat. I know just based on the size of the new tank that the temps are going to drop when I set everything up in the bigger tank. I don't want things to be too cool in the bigger tank but at the same time I don't want to leave him in the small tank too long and have him get cramped or over heated.

I would take the heat rock out asap. Bearded Dragons cant feel heat on their bellies so if he's laying on it and it's too hot he won't know and could end up getting burns.

Dvc41

Original Poster
Hmmm, well that's interesting. So you shouldn't use a heat rock with a beardie? Every book & care guide I've read says they are a necessity. What should be used to provide some heat at night if the heat rock is bad?

KnobCreek

Dvc41":lsru577x said:
Hmmm, well that's interesting. So you shouldn't use a heat rock with a beardie? Every book & care guide I've read says they are a necessity. What should be used to provide some heat at night if the heat rock is bad?

Most folks will recommend using a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) to help provide heat at night.

I started my beardie out in a 29 gallon tank we already had and he is doing fine. The temp gradient is important but as long as he can get close enough to the basking lamp to keep his temp up he should be OK. In a bigger tank you will tend to put more decorations that can allow prey to hide and that can make feeding a challenge. I take out most of the decorations for mine since he is small and it helps he see his prey from his basking spot. A smaller tank also makes disinfection easier on clean up days. As long as he has plenty of room to run a little and turn around I wouldnt rush to change tanks. Babies spend most of their day basking anyway. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom