What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
I was giving Hunter a bath today and he had his mouth open. I've seen this before and wondered what it is but today I feel like finding out. Right below his tongue there is this weird almost tube like thing that had an opening. I could see it kind of contracting kind of like it was opening and closing. My guess is that this is the gland that produces the sticky substance in their mouths but I just want to make sure. :study:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
That would be the trachea. I don't know the first thing about beardie mouth anatomy, but I'm a pro with snake mouth anatomy, due to giving a large ball python meds on multiple occasions. :shock: Not a fun ordeal, but anyways, the tube-like thing you described is the trachea; the organ that brings oxygen to the lungs / excretes CO2. :D

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
herpfreak":c9ac3 said:
That would be the trachea. I don't know the first thing about beardie mouth anatomy, but I'm a pro with snake mouth anatomy, due to giving a large ball python meds on multiple occasions. :shock: Not a fun ordeal, but anyways, the tube-like thing you described is the trachea; the organ that brings oxygen to the lungs / excretes CO2. :D

So they don't breathe like we do though down the throat? Makes sense when consuming larger pray.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Yep. They breathe the same way we do, it's just that their trachea and esophagus ("food tube") are in different places, ours are right next to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom