Welcome Slash *updated 9-2, at reptile show pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesdad

i am 34 and have wanted a dragon for nearly a year, i stumbled across this site a year ago and learned that i would have been an UN-fit parent at the time. I then began "lurking" here. Well, here i am, one year later, introducing our newest family member, Slash. My sister-in-law bought one for my son from Petsmart. We came home and saw that she a little something on her shoulder. My son was standing there, huge grin. My wife then stood there, mouth open, and walked backwards saying "oh heck no, Jessi, that is not staying here". Well, my wife didnt get her way! lol

the "petsmart" kit.
First, i am VERY thankful for our little guy, the only knowledge my sister-in-law was what she learned from a dragon "expert" at Petsmart. She bought a dragon, 50 gall breeded, cave/hid, EXTREMELY large water dish, compact uvb bulb, basking lamp and crickets. I immediately knew that would havve to back and completely redo almost everything, but Jessi didnt know everything, she was depending on the "expert". So i took back the coil and got the repisun lamp housing and the correct uvb, two probe therps, exchanged the basking lamp for the correct wattage\heat one, got more crickets, dust for crickets (still missing multi vit, got to find some still), proper item for him to reach his basking lamp, night heat\glow bulb (very cold at night and serves as a night light for my son). The person at Petsmart said "just give 2 crickets in the morning and two at night, give him a few more if he looks hungry" :banghead: so i flatley said "nope, your wrong" . So i grabbed my shopping cart and started filling it up! Well, $170 later i get home and hook Slash up. I am using papertowel on his floor for now, having not decided on something permanent (deffinately not any type of sand).

He was three weeks old, so says the "expert", but i do think he is about 3 weeks. No stress marks, very loving and a heck of an eater from the very begining! He is killing my crickets, about 30-40 a day!!!!!! My wife says that is crazy, way too much, saying if your overfeed goldfish they die. I laughed (playfully) and told all about dragons. She still sighs and shakes her head everytime i give her the "kill" count after he eats. He is verry light in color and has clear nails, he must have been shedding when he got home, he turned super-awesome green with yellow checker-boarded back. But now the little sucker is fading and getting grayish again, growing like a weed. He is funny bc his little head has been shedding since we got him. I am bathing him every-other day, he licked a few drops from my finger.

He is a very active dragon. Likes to chill on your shoulder, fore arm and is super fast, i had no idea how fast these boogers are :lol: Well, I, my wife and my son (7) love him already and we look forward to many years of his company!

his new home
viv1.jpg

first day
day1.jpg

day five
day8.jpg

i'm sure this looks means "hey dad, got any crickets?"
day82.jpg

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Hello! Welcome to the forum! :D Cute story. And I didn't know how to put pictures on here either. But on this forum somewhere there is help on posting pics. Or, like I did, just use PhotoBucket. You put the picture on there and then copy the image code and paste it on here. Can't wait to see your dragon, sounds like a beauty! Oh also, it surprised me too when I had Nim leap off me and then sprint. I thought I was getting a slow lizard :lol: But they do slow down when they get older.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Adorable. My little Nim has the same look and it's probably the same "got any crickets" look. They seem to be always hungry.

Colesdad

Original Poster
My wife made a huge step yesterday, she let Slash sit on her shoulder! Take note of her enthusiasm! Hahaha
Slashheather.jpg

idcouple

Hatchling Member
Not going to lie ... when they move really fast, they can be a little scary. That is, before you realize that they sleep at night just like a mammal and that their "spikes" aren't hurty. I'm sure she will grow to love him after a while :D

casper31

Hatchling Member
What a great little boy you've got there! Welcome to the clan. :) This place is just amazing. Anything I ever need to know, someone knows. My son just bought himself a beardie so now we have two in our home. And dang can that little boy eat! He's gulping 40-60 crickets plus 20 phoenix worms a day and eating greens. I don't know where he puts it all, he's just a lil' spit of a thing...lol

Pet stores are not very accurate are they? I was in one last month and the guy was telling a customer to get calci-sand for his beardie...I was like, no...don't do that. He said mealworms and a few crickets were fine. I again...no. don't do that. get a coil bulb...nope, not that. LOL! I had to walk away. I think I was annoying the heck out of the guy. :)

Congratulations on your new addition, and again, welcome.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
They start out so tiny! But they grow so quickly! <3 Glad he is so friendly and acclimated well. :) Lets hope Slash doesn't live up to his name too much ;p (I have quite enough beardie claw marks on me to know it's possible!) Congrats!

Colesdad

Original Poster
My 7yr old son, Cole. And his little 4 week old little brother, Slash.
Coleslash.jpg

They could by for identical twins :wink:

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to Slash and your family!!! The photos are great
They could by for identical twins :wink:
:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:
They are adorable. Don't worry your wife will probably warm up in no time

idcouple

Hatchling Member
Why do I get the feeling that slash might grow up to be the bigger protective brother for a few years? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom