Wanting real sunshine BUT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Houston, and the humidity here is CRAZY. I know that in the tank the humidity should be very low as beardies are desert animals so... Does that mean I can't take her outside with me in the summer? :( It's just getting nice and toasty so I've been giving her some sun. Last weekend it was about 80 degrees, low humidity and I sat and read, while she just basked on my shoulder. But I don't know when it gets hotter/more humid if it will be okay at all for her to go out with me, and I REALLY don't want to do anything to make her sick! :(

If anyone has some sort of answer or info it would be much appreciated! :)

snowdrop

Juvie Member
I live in northern ireland, and the humidity here is high. But i love taking my beardies out with me when i can. I just wouldn't have them out all day long, a couple of hours of so.

I can't be completely 100% sure but i really don't think that would make your beardies sick unless your were doing that all the time.

joprukop22

Hello fellow Texan! I live near Corpus Christi and boy do I know about humidity. lol. I take mine outside quite often and the humidity has not caused any issues thus far. Humidity inside the house stays low, just make sure you don't keep a large water dish in with them so there is less evaporation. Make sure you have good ventilation as well, so that moist air can leave the enclosure. I have had dragons nearly my whole life (since the age of 6) and outside humidity has not been an issue. But I am aware that humidity can cause respiratory infections and other complications. :( But awareness is key!

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
It's more of a constant humid environment that causes those problems unless you have a beardie with a low tolerance for it or a weak immune system. Just make sure you don't bathe him and then take him outside. You want to limit the amount of humidity. Try to avoid the mornings or evenings when humidity is at it's highest. You also want to avoid outdoor vivs.

Just bringing your beardie out for a few hours for some good UVB and heat is no harm. The above poster hit it dead on by making sure that you offer shade.

A car show or somewhere that offers shade and allows you to walk around is great! They LOVE to look around and see new things. If this is your first time, make sure that you get a leash. Sometimes they startle with birds and natural predators. The big viv can be frightening sometimes.

Good luck and make sure to take pictures!

FrancoisBeans

Original Poster
Good to know! She seems to really like the sunshine (though, yes, she does seem to get nervous at wind and loud birds chirping) and I was going to be bummed if we couldn't go lay outside together! It's AMAZING how much she's grown. How big - roughly - do they need to be before you put them on a leash? She's about 8 1/2 inches right now, and I'm not sure that's big enough, but I'd love to train her to go everywhere with me! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom