Want to start my own colony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!!

I am not sure if this has been posted before if so im sorry! My husband and I are going nuts with the trips back and forth to get crickets and or waiting for our money to come in so we can get feeders online. We want to start our own dubia colony. Could anyone give us pointers on how to start, Like where to get the starters, and all the supplies.. How long it will take to get it going to the point it will sustain our beardie. We only have one baby so we definitely dont need a huge population. Any tips would help!!

Thank you!

ButterflyGirl89

Hatchling Member
Most people buy their dubias online from breeders here in the "for sale" section like dubideli, critterfeeders, or hammerhead. Or try craigslist.

Get a big rubbermaid tub with a lid from walmart, lowe's, wherever. around 20+ gallons. cut a large hole in the top of the lid and hot glue screen door or window mesh over the hole. this is for ventilation so the dubia can breathe. use either a human heat pad without "auto shut off" or a ceramic heat emitter bulb for a heat source since for breeding you want it around 84-90.
you probably wanna get at least 30 females and like 15 males plus other sizes (med-large and small) to start off with. the more you can get the better off you'll be. it'll take about 4 months before you can feed out of the colony. there's lots of youtube videos, posts, and sites you can find on google with step by step directions, tips, and even recipes for the food you wanna give them. (most people crush up cat/dog food with fish flakes, oatmeal, and cheerios etc)

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom