viv questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom311

Im pretty sure i have everything i need but wanted to make sure.
i have an 18 inch reptisun 10.0 uv bulb
a log for hiding
a brick and hammock basking area of 102
reptile carpet
water bowl
crickets and greens
reptocal calcium and herpivite multi

do i need any thing else?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
What are you using to measure your temps and humidity? You'll want to keep an eye on humidity if you are going to keep a water dish in there.

tom311

Original Poster
Im using a thermometer that measures air temp. I think i wont use the water bowl and ill just bathe him. Do i need a thermometer that measures surface temp or is air fine?

tom311

Original Poster
ill probably buy that one. but whats the reason to have the surface temp if i have the air temp?

scm133

Juvie Member
tom311":2p0jia9y said:
ill probably buy that one. but whats the reason to have the surface temp if i have the air temp?
The ambient (air) temp will always be different than the actually basking spot. The main concern is to not burn the belly. If air temp is 102, the actual spot where they lay, could be hotter. I monitor the air temp on the cool side. It should be 75-85. I use the infra red gun to spot check the basking spot on the hot side. They need the temperature gradient to thermoregulate. :wink:

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
For $13 you can get this thermometer at Walmart:

original.jpg

It has a probe on one end that you can place directly on the basking spot and displays as the "outdoor" temperature. Then the unit can be placed on the cool side and displays as the "indoor" temperature. It will also give you the humidity reading for the cool side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom