Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is pleasant news... :banghead:

A batch #/time frame would be nice. I have a 160 watt that's about 1-2 months old (purchased in March not installed till Apr) and I'm getting 100-104 at ~14".

Morty is doing OK at the moment (if anything he's a bit grumpy because he's in shed again), so I'm not too concerned at the moment (but concerned nonetheless) Will definitely go for the Reptisun once 6mos comes up, or I can somehow get one early. MVBs seemed so convenient while doing my research, but now with all this funny business... :roll:

aoscar

Hatchling Member
fresnowitte":3g5tb295 said:
Could this bulb that is probably putting out next to no UVB be the culprit?
Most definately!

Even without the issues being mentioned the Solar Glo's did start stating in the brochure in their boxes last fall that they now need to be changed every 6 months. So with that being said even in normal circumstances it would be putting out less UVB as it's reaching the change out time.

Maybe this also explains how my girl became de-calcified and quit eating before she was ready to lay, leading to infection and death.
This makes me highly upset.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

I am going to get Frances to post on this thread, ok? I know she doesn't want everyone to panic just yet....but, it is very important & unfortunate news. I have to say I am very disappointed that they changed the specs & I don't even know why they did that, & neither does Frances.
Based on what she has said, they began changing their bulbs & specs in November of 2009, possibly December. Thanks to Dawn from this board, she had sent Frances a couple of Solar Glos that had been purchased last year. They were both good, but the 125 watt was stronger than the 160 watt was but, at least they had output unlike the new ones are putting out.
The new ones honestly should not even be considered MVB's as they simply are not strong enough to warrant being called that.
Yes, if anyone wants to send Frances their bulbs for testing, the more the merrier. She will appreciate it.

As far as any batch numbers or model numbers I don't have that yet, perhaps she can nail that down with data coming from Rolf C Hagen himself. Perhaps he will do something about it, I simply don't know.

Sorry for all of the bad news, as there seems to be an awful lot of that lately, with regards to UVB lights.

Tracie

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
If anyone wants to transition over to repti-suns you can get fixtures at walmart for $ 7.86 for an 18in. I have 6 of them and they work just fine. The cheapest I could find at home depot was $35. Just thought I'd put it out there :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. :D I am sure that people will take you up on your information you provided.

Tracie

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Blee, how frustrating. I was considering an upgrade on mine, but I think I'll keep to using my supply of fluors instead :S I spoke to a company making LED versions of fluors and gave them some handy information regarding reptile keepers - apparently they had looked at the possibility and judged it too expensive, but when I pointed out the lifespan of their bulbs would greatly out-do the current market (and be more consistent, reliable etc) and the fact I'd just spent £100 on three normal fluors which would last 6-8 months tops, they were quite interested...

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Great information, Tracie! I am also very disappointed in what is going on with the mvb's as of late. Like Vicky mentioned, it seems we are just throwing our money right out the window. It is very frustrating, to say the least! It seems alot of companies are finding cheaper ways to make their products(sign of the times) and it is at the expense of our pets. It makes me sad!
I was using one of the older 125w Solar Glo's on Bligg. After approximately 5 months, he stopped eating and basking. I too wonder if it was the rapid dissipation of uvb that caused him to go downhill. He is now under an "old" version of the Megaray and doing much better.
Thanks for keeping us informed and updated on this situation! :D

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, Everyone.

Tracie has asked me to write an update on this, so here I am :wink:

This is going to be a long post because there are quite a few issues here. No.. I know.. What I'll do is write 3 separate shorter posts addressing the 3 main topics here, then the mods who know how to do these things can split up the topic into 3 topics, if they think it is a good idea.

As I see it, the topics are:
1. The ExoTerra Solar Glo lamps
2. The use of cheap fixtures for ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tubes
3. The current situation with ReptileUV and T-Rex lamps, and the distances that lamps should be placed from the dragons.

1. ExoTerra Solar Glo Lamps.

First, let me explain what I know about these lamps.
I have had 4 sets of lamps sent to me since they came out, in 2007.
They are all manufactured in China. They do NOT have any identifying marks upon them at all, that I can see, which give any way of deciding what batch they are or when they were manufactured. The ink stamp on the glass just says ExoTerra Solar Glo and then the voltage and frequency (120V 60Hz, or 220-240v 50Hz) and wattage (125W or 160W). Embossed on the metal, above, are the voltage, wattage and "CHINA EF7" - they all say this, from the oldest to the most recent sample. No batch numbers...
The boxes are of two types.
All the lamps I received before September 2009 were brightly coloured, black with floppy yellow lettering and flames in orange and yellow through tree branches, behind the picture of the lamp.
After September 2009, some of them - specifically the 160W lamps - were in very suave, smart "minimalist" boxes with a simple image of the lamp on an all-black background and a silver top, stating in very neat squared-off lettering "Professional Series".

Here's my story.

In October 2007 I tested two lamps sent from kind donors in the USA, one 125W and one 160W.
The UVB output of these two was about the same; they both gave a UV Index of about 5.0 at 12in distance, falling to about 4.0 after 100 hours use. This is a good UVB output, for sun-loving basking species such as bearded dragons. The difference between the two lamps was that the higher wattage lamp gave out more visible light and more heat.

I put the 125W on a longterm test, over one of my beardies.
After 1,000 hours, (3 mths use) it had only decayed to UVI 3.8; after 2,000 hrs (6 months) it was still UVI 3.4. After one year of use (4000hrs) when I ended the trial, it was still giving me UVI 3.1 ... I think that's really very good...I could still use that lamp very happily.

This is why I gave these lamps a good review in October 2008...

Then in March 2009 I was sent a brand new 125W lamp as part of a trial I was doing for a UK distributor who wanted to test out a "vivarium kit" they planned to sell, with all sorts of different lamps inside to see what was best. This lamp was sent from the warehouse of the parent company of ExoTerra, this company is called Rolf C Hagen Corp. in the USA and Rolf C Hagen UK Ltd in the UK.. (to avoid confusion - I did not have any correspondence with their CEO. Rolf C Hagen is just the name of the Company, after its Founder I think...)
Well anyway - this 125W lamp I received was disappointing. It started with a UV Index of 3.6 at 12ins, which seemed a bit low compared to the other two, but still ok; but after only 100 hours this had fallen to only 2.2. That is a very significant decay and a lower output than I'd want for a sun-basking reptile. I did not test it for longer, to see if it carried on decaying, though.

I know that mercury vapour lamps vary widely from lamp to lamp, even in the same batch, so I thought it was possible that this one just happened to be a particularly low-output one. Maybe I should have requested another sample..

Well, nothing further happened until the beginning of this year, when all the problems began to emerge with the MegaRay and T-Rex lamps. Dawn (Gulfbrzdawn) sent me two Solar Glos from the USA - one new 125W and one 160W that had only had about 100hours use; ie. it was just burned-in. She had bought the 125W in October-November 2009 and the 160W in September 2009. These arrived on 8th March 2010.
I'll paste some "key" results below, but basically, the 125W was like the first one I tested back in 2007 - a very nice lamp.

I'm going to ship this one back to Dawn and hope it gets there safely, because it will be good for beardies.
But the 160W was - strangely - operating at only 115W and had a low output... like the 2009 125W lamp.

Meanwhile, to find out whether the specs had been changed recently, I had written to Rolf C Hagen Co Ltd in the UK; the email correspondence I had was with their Quality Control Supervisor. She told me:
"Now, with regards to the Solar Glo bulbs, there have been some modifications to the bulb. Not in respect of the specifications of the bulbs, but more in the manufacturing process and the type of material used. For instance, originally the bulbs were hand-blown, now they are machine-blown, and the specifications of the glass and the filament have been adapted to suit this...... I can, if you like, send you some of the latest bulbs for testing."

Within a week of Dawn's lamps arriving, I received four more Solar Glos from Rolf C Hagen UK Ltd. They sent me two 125W and two 160W lamps.

I have only just finished burning-in three of these four.
So my most recent tests are for six lamps all (presumably) made between September 2009 and February 2010.

125-watt lamps:
Lamp 1: Purchased Oct-Nov 2009 by Dawn, unused, and sent to me in March 2010.
Total UVB after burning-in (105hrs):
10 ins: 232 uW/cm2
12 ins: 160 uW/cm2
18 ins: 70 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 8.8
12 ins: 6.1
18 ins: 2.5
This lamp was operating at 115 watts.

Lamp 2: Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010.
10 ins: 40 uW/cm2
12 ins: 29 uW/cm2
18 ins: 13 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 0.9
12 ins: 0.6
18 ins: 0.3
This lamp was operating at 136 watts.

Lamp 3: Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010.
10 ins: 35 uW/cm2
12 ins: 25 uW/cm2
18 ins: 12 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 0.9
12 ins: 0.6
18 ins: 0.2
This lamp was operating at 141 watts.

160-watt lamps:
Lamp 1: Purchased Sept 2009 by Dawn, used for about 100hrs, and sent to me in March 2010
Total UVB after about 100hrs:
10 ins: 90 uW/cm2
12 ins: 64 uW/cm2
18 ins: 29 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 3.5
12 ins: 2.5
18 ins: 1.0
This lamp was operating at ONLY 115 watts - although 160W was stamped on the lamp itself, so it is not one that "got in the wrong box".

Lamp 2: Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010.
10 ins: 75 uW/cm2
12 ins: 55 uW/cm2
18 ins: 26 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 2.0
12 ins: 1.4
18 ins: 0.7
This lamp was operating at 173 watts.

Lamp 3: Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010.
Total UVB after 1hour (I have not burned-in this lamp):
10 ins: 43 uW/cm2
12 ins: 31 uW/cm2
18 ins: 15 uW/cm2
UV Index:
10 ins: 0.8
12 ins: 0.5
18 ins: 0.2
This lamp was operating at 159 watts.

Spectra:
The 125W lamp purchased by Dawn in October-November 2009 was presumably manufactured before the change in specs - it is very different - the only one with what I would describe as a "good" spectrum. It has no un-natural short-wavelength UVB below 295nm and a good spectrum for a mercury vapour lamp, with a small peak at 297nm and larger peaks at longer wavelengths still.
None of the other lamps had any UVB below 300nm, in fact hardly anything below 313nm. This is why they give such very low readings with the meters, of course.

These are very disappointing results. A high-quality UVB fluorescent tube such as an Arcadia D3+ 12% or a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube can have a UV Index reading between 0.7 - 1.0 at 12" after burning-in -which is better than two of these mercury vapour lamps with the new specifications!

However, a new complication has appeared just in the last couple of days!
A contact in the UK, Darren, has just reported on the UVB_Meter_Owners forum that he bought an ExoTerra Solar Glo 125W - which was putting out 46uW/cm2 and 3.6 UVI at 12ins when brand new, and the next morning, only 1uW/cm2 and zero UVI... and this one had a shiny front face and a milky coating inside the glass. It was in a black-and-silver box.
So what is going on?
We don't know. Darren is getting me another lamp like the one he bought, to test.
I am going to write a proper report as soon as I can, and send it to Exoterra/Hagen and ask for more information... I'll let people know more as soon as I know more myself.

Best wishes,
Frances

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Thank-you very much Frances for popping in and giving us a update. We all so appreciate it very much.
I have noticed myself as a previous Solar Glo user the inconsistency in the heat and light output as well as quality of the bulb since Novemberish of last year. I really thought I was loosing it one bulb would work fine the next lousy. One beardie acting normal the next in constant brumation symptoms sluggish even ones to young to brumate. I have several about 10 or more Solar Glo's that are within 1 to maybe 3 months and a couple of brand new ones if you need any spares for testing please let me know. I can send you a big box of them.

Thanks again!

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
2. The use of cheap fixtures for ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tubes

TwistedCrayon":3lfcgkkc said:
If anyone wants to transition over to repti-suns you can get fixtures at walmart for $ 7.86 for an 18in. I have 6 of them and they work just fine. The cheapest I could find at home depot was $35. Just thought I'd put it out there :)

There was a long discussion about whether the type of fixture you use for a UVB fluorescent tube affects its output, on the UVB_Meter_Owners forum a while back.
It turned out that it can make a huge difference.

A while back, Darry Conner, an Iguana Rehabber in the USA, did a neat little study all about this, it's in the Files at UVB_Meter_Owners Group, if you're a member you can read it there:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/files/Fixtures effect UVB fluorescents tubes.doc
or if that link breaks,
http://tinyurl.com/d9kb5c

This was in 2004, but back then she tested three different Home Depot fixtures with the same Reptisun 5.0 tube, and her Solarmeter 6.2 UVB meter...
Shoplight ($7.97) at 12" - 14uW/cm2
Worklight-for residential use ($18.48) at 12" - 20uW/cm2
Premier Worklight-heavy duty-fully wired ($19.99) at 12" - 33 - 34uW/cm2
(NB This was in 2004, I expect all the brands are different now.)

Since then, we have discussed this further and found that not only do high quality magnetic ballasts work better than cheap magnetic ballasts, but electronic "rapid start" ballasts work best of all. They are also said to be much gentler on the tubes, prolonging their life.

Of course, no way am I saying that TwistedCrayon's Walmart ballasts are no good. I hope they were an excellent bargain. What I'm trying to say is... the cheapest is not always the best. Without a meter, we can't tell, though.
Also - always check your ballast is rated for the wattage of the tube you are using. The UV output won't be the same if the tube is being over-run or under-run, either.

Also, I have no idea what quality of ballast are being put into the various "hoods" and "reptile fixtures" that are made by a lot of Reptile and Aquarium suppliers, these are quite expensive, designed for going over tanks and vivaria (as opposed to the "counter fixtures" sold in Home Depot etc) - you're paying for the design as well as the ballast, here. Look for electronic ballasts, maybe?

Best wishes,

Frances

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, Barbara.
fresnowitte":3gxw83fz said:
Thank-you very much Frances for popping in and giving us a update. We all so appreciate it very much.
You're welcome. This is a very good forum with some wonderful people, like yourself, supporting this community. I wish I had time to be here more often.
I have noticed myself as a previous Solar Glo user the inconsistency in the heat and light output as well as quality of the bulb since Novemberish of last year. I really thought I was loosing it one bulb would work fine the next lousy. One beardie acting normal the next in constant brumation symptoms sluggish even ones to young to brumate.
I'm concerned about this. I've heard several people saying exactly the same thing since this topic came up...
I have several about 10 or more Solar Glo's that are within 1 to maybe 3 months and a couple of brand new ones if you need any spares for testing please let me know. I can send you a big box of them.

10 or more? :( Barbara this has cost you a small fortune...
... Thanks so much for offering. Sometimes there are brands of lamps I haven't tested, and I would so much like someone to send even one... other times I have so many of one type sent to me, I get really behind on the test reports (like now!)... As I have now tested six of these, and it sounds like there may be yet another type coming on stream, I will gently decline your offer.. but, isn't there some way that you could beg, steal or borrow (well no, not steal) a Solarmeter 6.5 and test those ten lamps to see if you've got any good ones? Or maybe pass them on to someone who has, who could use them or donate them to a rescue group?
The weak ones would still be good for species of reptiles needing warmth, light and low UVB levels...

Best wishes,
Frances

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
3. The current situation with ReptileUV and T-Rex lamps, and the distances that lamps should be placed from the dragons.

In this thread, there are a couple of points made about the other MVBs, that maybe I ought to clarify.

As far as I know, ReptileUV are still hand testing every MegaRay that comes into their wareheouse, whether it is direct from the Westron factory, or stock returned by a customer after the recall; these are being coated individually with a specific heat-sealed treatment which filters out any excessively short-wavelength UVB, so their output should fall within the correct range.

I do not know what T-Rex are doing to correct the "problem" lamps. The last I heard, they were not doing anything except holding back on new purchases of the Westron lamps (which they sell as "Active UV Heat Flood" lamps) until they heard that Westron had fixed the problem. I have not yet heard anything to suggest this has happened.
They are now also selling an "economy" MVB called a "T-Rex UV Heat" lamp. This is a Chinese product. I am currently testing two right now. I don't have any definite results yet except to say that one has a far greater output than the other :?

As regards distances ... If you think about it, the minimum distance MUST always refer to the distance from the surface of the lamp, to the top of the reptile's head (or nearest part of his body)... how can it mean anything else? If I had a hatchling beardie, true, this would be very similar to the distance from lamp to basking spot - ie. the shelf, or log, or whatever. But what if I have an adult Green Iguana? If he stands 14" tall, and a minimum distance of 14" meant "to the basking spot"... his head would touch the bulb itself!

The ReptileUV MegaRay lamps have a label that indicates a minimum distance from lamp to reptile's head should be 12" for their 100W lamp and 15" for their 160W... but those labels are the same ones they've used since the lamps first came out, it must be 5 years ago now. Recently they announced that, given the higher UVB they are seeing - even after treating the affected lamps - they recommend a minimum distance of 14 - 15" for the 100W lamps now. I don't think I've seen a recommendation for the 160W but I'm going to suggest 18 - 20" might be sensible. I hope they update their labels soon...

T-Rex say the minimum distances for Active UV Heat lamps are 12" for 100W and 18" for 160W on their boxes. Because I don't know what they are selling right now I can't comment on that, except I would suggest caution.

Best wishes,
Frances

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello!

Thank you Frances, WE all appreciate it! I realize just how much work it is trying to keep up with all of these lights & testing, etc.
It seems like we basically have no options right now, or very little.
I will check back on the UVB later on, too, thanks! :D

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes I too want to thank you so much for all your hard work on this matter.It seems you are the only true source that we can rely on these days in regards to getting proper data in regards to UVB so without you we would all be lost!I am looking forward to and patiently awaiting your results on future testing including the TRex Standard UV as well as all of the other MVB and UVB on the market today.

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Thank you so much Frances!
If I were to buy a meter which would you recommend? and does it include instructions as to what are good results?
I am also anxious to hear the results on the T-Rex economy bulb.I bought one for my beardie and at first I thought she liked it but after a week she started closing her left eye and wouldn't open it for 3 days. I replaced the bulb with her old one and after 2 days she was back to normal. THIS could also be because she is shedding,I don't want to assume that it's the T-Rex economy but I will be keeping a close eye on her when I put the bulb back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom