transferring illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockso

So i've come to relize that my beardie wont make it. My question is that based out of my other post viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132619

If i get another one if Zeus passes, is it possible that his ilness will transfer over to the new one? If so how can i prevent it?

Gail

BD.org Addict
If he has something like worms or a virus, then yes it can be transferred. The tank will need to be sterilized, as will any dishes and decorations in the cage. Flooring should be tossed out and replaced.

Zeus has a chance of recovering if you get the proper UVB (reptSUN 10.0) and start feeding baby food everyday at least twice a day. Keep him bathed daily and offer water from a syringe.

I wouldn't inject him with anything unless you know what it is and why he needs it. If he has worms, most are treated with a oral medication.

I hate to say it but from reading your posts, I think husbandry has a lot to do with his illness.

Rockso

Original Poster
Alright then, thank you for your advice. Yes i do agree that i have neglected some of his basic needs, some of them i did not know. It's very hard to find someone who actually knows right from wrong with beardies. Especially in pet stores. I'll have to study the whole forum and maybe once i know my way around keeping beardies i'll work at one and help educate. But anyways, i'll be sure to take better care of him. As for the calcium, should i dust the crickets or mix it in with the baby food?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Everyone has to learn some way, its unfortunate that most pet store know squat about proper reptile needs and that there are so many products that can actually harm your pet.
I'd mix the calcium in the babyfood. If he will eat a cricket on his own then you can dust them lightly too but at this point, I wouldn't force feed bugs anymore. It stressful and he needs as little stress as possible.

What do you have down on the cage floor? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures I saw. Is there anyway you can get him closer to the UVB? I flat piece of park or wide stick would work good. If you can get him outside for at least 30 minutes a day, it would really help. Just make sure he can't run and fall anymore.

Rockso

Original Poster
As substrate i have reptile carpet. and he has a small bark of driftwood, he doesn't climb it (he doesn't climb anything anymore) so I just have to set him there for basking. Right now we don't have a UVB because we're waiting on the reptisun bulb to come in which should be on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom