Tired early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Hello, Balrog is 6-7 months old, female. She is healthy and eats very well, measures 18 in and weighs 350 g. The only thing that bothers me is that she seems ready to sleep a hour, or even and hour and a half before her lights turn off. We have a time set to turn on at 7 am and down at 7 pm. During the day she is active, well I guess as active as a lizard could be. She basks most morning after her breakfast (crickets/roach and veggies), then gets down to eat more veggies at lunchtime (her viv is in the dining room, so she seems to eat whenever we do). She gets to run around in the house at least once, most often twice a day, for a total of approx 1 hour. My kids also play with her because she is cooperative (yes she gets along with other "my littlest pet shop" animals after licking them once). She has dinner of crickets or roaches at 4:30 pm. Is that too much activity for her? She gets in sleeping position at around 6 pm.
She started being that tired maybe a month ago. Could it be because it is winter and she adjusts to daylight (we have lots of windows in the dining room where she is)? Could it be a sign of something more?

Thanks for your input!

coldhearted

Hatchling Member
my bearded dragons are doing the same thing. so i hope someone has some insight. they are around the same age as well so it will help me too.

I figured it was because of winter mine are set next to a window so they can see it gets darker earlier
I know they are too young to brumate but it feels like they are doing their darnedest to act older

Chryss

Hatchling Member
Alvin is the same way and I was worried about it before but I was told that it is ok. Sometimes they just want a little more sleep.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Mine do it too. I have their lights on from 630 am to 8to 830 by 6 to 7 a few are putting themselves to bed. I think its normal as long as they are active basking most of the day should be fine. If they are sleeping or wanting to sleep all day and they are brumating then their could be a issue.

Sea2SJK

The daylight supposed to be on from 10 hrs to 14hrs. So I wouldn't worry about it if they are up more than 10 hrs.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
isabelleandpaul":c3b1d said:
Hello, Balrog is 6-7 months old, female. She is healthy and eats very well, measures 18 in and weighs 350 g.

Off topic a bit, 350g... That a big beadie?
My guy only weights 175 grams, 15 inch and is around 5 months old..

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know, she's on the heavy side! We have doubts about her age. We got her on July 31 and was 15 cm long and around 5 g, she just grows like crazy! No idea on her genetics. I guess we're doing something right, since she's growing so much, but we started cutting back on insects. Anyways she's becoming more interested in veggies, which seems like a good thing looking at her "boobs"!

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Chace was growing fast aswell, and was putting on alot of weight too.

He went off his food for about 2 weeks, which i later discovered was hit lighting, so now he is just getting back to eating, although he still isnt eating as much as he used too.

These days, on a good day he will only eat about 20 roaches, but dead ones! Its weird, he wont eat them alive.. :S
Dosent touch his greens much at all though, how did you manage to get your beardie eating so much greens? and if you dont mind, what greens do you feed her?

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Since we got her (as a baby) we always provided a veggie bowl throughout the day. She showed interest even in the first month, with a strong preference for dandelion. That was good because it was summer and we had a huge supply in our backyard! We started introducing more stuff, and it takes a few days before she tries a new food from the bowl.
Now she prefers anything green and leafy. We give her arugula, parsley once in a while, and we just started endive (she took a few bites). Then she has veggies, the main one is squash (everyday) and a mix of other fruit/veggie rotating between apple, bell pepper (she prefers red), carrots, broccoli, raspberries (although that stains her), parsnip, grapes. She eats pretty much everything from that list, but some days she will leave one item completely. I tried brussel sprouts once (because my kids did not eat theirs) and she just closed her eyes :?

What we did to get her used to veggies is not to overfeed insects. After say 20-25 crickets (twice a day) we stopped even if she ate them in 5 minutes. With her growth rate we figured that limiting serving size what not doing harm. Now she barely eats more than 12 crickets twice a day, but clears her salad bowl. I guess she's getting older!

Good luck with you guy!

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
I think im going to try some of those fruit and veggies that you have tried with your beardie, and see if they work :)

He just seems to not eat anything else apart from the 15-20 roaches, it gets me a little worried to be honest.

When i first got him, he used to polish off a whole lid full of greens, used to eat easly up to 50 crickets a day, if not more, but ever since i had the issue with the MVB i was using, he just hasnt got back to normal, and its probaly been about a week.

Hopefully in a little while, hopefully not to much longer, he will be back to him old self, and sending my broke every week!
Ill Keep you updated though :)

Thanks for your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom