The REAL Slim Shady! (Anniversry Edition!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I just got my beardie, Slim, a few days ago. My dad called him Slim Shady as a joke and it stuck!

I thought I'd keep a diary-type thing here like many of you seem to do. Every day I get so excited about him, I want to keep some kind of log of his growth. I also want to eventually post a picture of the underside of his tail to get some help sexing him.

Day 1, 11/24/12: Taking him home in a Kritter Keeper. I wanted him to come around on his own, so I put the box he came in in the Keeper and let him come out gradually during the car ride.

604094_10200111640856415_1475660546_n.jpg

He's so adorable, and a little rascal, too! Here are some other pics of him during our first week together:

Cuddling with mommy!
59649_10200124152649202_1395310785_n.jpg

Like the poster child for cuteness.
483569_10200123778199841_1383655870_n.jpg

Sleepy time!
704440_10200124359414371_1314729809_o.jpg

"Check out my sexy curves!"
374522_10200124152849207_1737942040_n.jpg

Loving his new hammock.
704575_10200130910538145_1429029583_o.jpg

The first day he didn't eat much, being new to his environment and all. It took a few days, but by day two or three he was wolfing down crickets like it was his day job. He's still warming up to me, very very slowly, but today I saw lots of progress! I dipped a few mealworms in some baby food (I know mealworms aren't ideal, but the store is out of crickets and I'm waiting on a shipment still) and fed them to him, then actually got him to lick some off my finger! He loves Gerber's organic squash baby food... it's just organic squash and water. :)

He's still not entirely trusting of me... unless I have food in my hands, of course. But hopefully this thread evolves to include more good news about him coming around. :love5:

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Try not to worry so much. Sometimes they eat less, sometimes they eat more. If its constant for 3+ days then worry. I know I've been there. I called my boyfriend crying after other day about bandit lol. Now it's like " whatever she'll eat tomorrow" lol try not to stress too much.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ohsmileb":fcplw2tu said:
Try not to worry so much. Sometimes they eat less, sometimes they eat more. If its constant for 3+ days then worry. I know I've been there. I called my boyfriend crying after other day about bandit lol. Now it's like " whatever she'll eat tomorrow" lol try not to stress too much.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, Slim seems to be eating with his original gusto today. I'm still a bit of a headcase about him, sorry!

I think he may have a bit of retained shed on his fingers and maybe tail tip, but posted pictures and was told they look fine. I might put some olive oil on the tip of his tail to be sure. I've been bathing him more frequently too.

Today I passed by his tank, and he LEAPT at the doors of the tank as if he wanted to be taken out! Then, when I opened them and tried to grab him, he ran -_- he's so playful :lol:

I'm just glad he's recognizing me! He lets me scoop him out more often than not now, and will sit with me instead of trying to make a mad dash away. Now my only worry with holding him is his propensity toward suicide diving off my bed/shoulder/lap whenever he sees something that interests him... He also tends to dive for his tank when he wants to get back in, and only winds up knocking his head into the glass when he misses the opening -_-

I love this little guy. I'm off to the organic market to buy dandelion greens! just 2$ for a big bunch there :D

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here's my little guy taking in some rays after lunch :D Notice the stubborn spot of baby food on his cheek! :lol:

pdte4.jpg

Also, he's starting to let me pick his tail up, so I'm going to get a picture soon to confirm that he is a boy.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Lol I posted a thread about her toes and tail too. The tip was nipped and eventually fell off but you can't even notice and I was scared her toes would go too but they seem I be regrowing scales :)

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aw, thanks guys!

I'm still a bit worried about possible retained shedding on his right foot. Can you guys take a look at this and give me your input? I'm going to post an updated picture once he stays still for me:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=182301

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Dreamwritten":1rbzt7jp said:
This is what I'm worried about :

KlDG6.jpg

I don't know what to do. It looks like retained shed. I'm bathing him and putting bacitracin on.

it looks like his toes lost some circulation. you're probably doing all you can for it right now. my gecko had a retained shed when i got her and the toes just shriveled up and fell off, so i hope it doesnt happen to him!

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Dreamwritten":3u5tih5c said:
:( What if I take him to the vet? Can they do anything for him?

they would probably just give him a different cream to put on his foot to try and help it. his arm looks like hes about to shed again but his foot looks like some got stuck before on those two toes. give it time, the toes don't look too bad they probably will heal up.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks, the ankle seems to be a bit swollen too. You think it should be okay if I just scrub it daily in the bath, rub it a bit, and put some vaseline or bacitracin on?

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Dreamwritten":3fapn82j said:
Okay, thanks, the ankle seems to be a bit swollen too. You think it should be okay if I just scrub it daily in the bath, rub it a bit, and put some vaseline or bacitracin on?

i'd be careful scrubbing on it, it could irritate his little scales. id use a qtip and rub it on there when you bathe him and then put a little bit of vaseline on. make sure he's not trying to lick around his foot though when you put it on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom