Terrifying lesson learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I had Tia out by the pond for a little sun and lunch in a clover patch. I walked not 10 feet away to pick three leaves off a better clover patch, turned around and she gone.
I wasn't too worried at first, she's never panicked and ran before. I figured she jumped up on the pond edge, she likes sitting on the bricks.
Nope, note on the bricks, under any plants by the pond or in the pond. Not in the open yard or out in the street/under the car. How far could she have ran in 20 seconds?
After I sent a panicked text for backup, I started looking around the edge of the house under plants. I ended up finding her half way climbed up the cement porch hidden under a day lily plant, scared to death.
She was "misplaced" for only 5 minutes or so and is happily back basking now, no worse for her wild run but I'm still shaken up. Guess its time to figure out how to leash a 9" dragon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez, it's definitely scary when they vanish like that. Hopefully it won't happen again. I'm glad you found her quickly. A leash may be a good idea or even an enclosure such as a kiddie pool with some furniture or a dog crate would be useful so you don't necessarily need to keep 100% attention on her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gail,

Oh my, that IS so scarey when that happens. Geez, she must have seen a large bird that you didn't see. I am glad Tia was found quickly & was safe!

Tracie

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
She has a leash now but hates it. I've never seen a dragon react so badly to a harness. She puffs up like they do in deep water and freezes, kind of reminds me of a cat on a leash. I'm sure she would fall over if it she was tall enough lol.
I got a very nice black beard and open mouth for my effort but she won't ever get away again. It was more likely to have been a car that scared her then a bird.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
How scary for you, but I'm glad it ended well. Mine hate the leashes, as well, so I take about a 6 ft. length of brightly colored yarn and tie one end in a bow around the base of their tails. This seems to bother them less, and helps me find them if they bolt.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
That would work prefect if I lived in a safer area but if she bolted into the street in front of a car, it won't matter if I can find her or not:(
She did a bit better today and it was easier to get her into the harness. I'm sure once she is bigger the harness won't feel so bulky and she'll be more comfortable with it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gail,

Hopefully she will get used to the leash! If it isn't always safe there then that is the best option for her so she doesn't bolt or get run over. I am glad she is doing well!

Tracie

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Little beast is happy as can be.

iwhg76.jpg

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
Hi Gail,

Omygosh! That's Crazy! Miss Buddy isn't too fond of her leash either. I don't even know WHY I bought it for her. :banghead: She'll just sit there looking at me like "Really?" I guess she's just too young to be on a leash. Love her anyway. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom