Tank Setup Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clatch

With in the next 2 days im going on a BD shopping spree to prepare for my in coming dragons :) ( Both Adults)
I have a few questions on certain things.
The Dimensions of my Terrariums. || 36"L X 18"W X 16"H || 48"L X 18"W x 21"H ||
First substrate: I was thinking about using ceramic tiles but i was wondering if the gaps in between each tile would affect the movement of the Bd throughout the Terrarium. Im stuck between the tiles and non-adhesive linoleum. If anyone could point me in the right direction there would be great thanks!
Second Lighting: I need a few ideas on how to mount my UVB light to the glass with out breaking it or the possibility of it falling off side. Also for heating Im going to be using 3 8.5" http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Flukers-Clamp-Lamps.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_Lighting If this is the correct thing to use? Also im not sure on what basking spot bulb watt i should be using for the hot and cool side and also what watt for the night bulb and what are the best brands for bulbs i have zoomed bulbs atm.
Also i see other people using things such as non reptile fixtures can anyone inform me if those are better or such thanks
I hope i have included everything i need if im missing anything please be sure to tell me thanks again very much

I hope some one could help me through this when i got my first dragon i had a friend that helped me pick out things because he said he knew so much about caring for dragons. After reading throughout this forum and other websites i see in almost every thing he told me he was wrong so now i have to go out and rebuy many things and i wanna do it right this time!
Please and thank you very much in advance to everyone,

Lee

Ceramic tiles are probably the best thing you can get. To fill in the cracks you'll want grout and sealant. It's cheap and affective.

As for lighting you can use the clamp lamps you found. However, I would also get a strip light fixture (try to get one as long as your tank) and a ReptiSun 10.0 to go with it. This is the best bulb for UVB which is absolutely necessary. Please do not go with a compact version, or strip version of ReptiGlo 10.0. It can cause serious health problems and not give off enough UVB.

As for night bulbs, DON'T USE ANY. Even the red and blue lights that claim a beardie can not see them, is incorrect. They will see light and it can disrupt their sleep, and lead to other health problems. If your home drops below 65 degrees at night you will want to get a ceramic heat emitter, it only gives off heat and no light at all, if it doesn't drop that low you won't need any heater.

For basking bulbs, any brand will work. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and use a 100 watt basking bulb from ExoTerra.

Here are the links to everything I talked about. You might want to shop around to find better prices than what Petco offers, but these are a must.
http://www.petco.com/product/115855...ture.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_Lighting

http://www.petco.com/product/102889...B-Bulb-for-Reptiles.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

http://www.petco.com/product/5003/Z...rared-Heat-Emitters.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Spikey07

Juvie Member
clatch":2yo3zibu said:
With in the next 2 days im going on a BD shopping spree to prepare for my in coming dragons :) ( Both Adults)
I have a few questions on certain things.
The Dimensions of my Terrariums. || 36"L X 18"W X 16"H || 48"L X 18"W x 21"H ||
First substrate: I was thinking about using ceramic tiles but i was wondering if the gaps in between each tile would affect the movement of the Bd throughout the Terrarium. Im stuck between the tiles and non-adhesive linoleum. If anyone could point me in the right direction there would be great thanks!
I use ceramic tiles in all 4 of my vivarium. I have found what works best for me is to cut a piece of polestyrene sheet to the correct size and use silicone to stick the tiles to the polestyrene sheet. I put my tiles right together with no gap and use clear silicone between the tiles so no poo can get stuck down there! Its really easy to clean and can be removed easily if you decide to change it.
Second Lighting: I need a few ideas on how to mount my UVB light to the glass with out breaking it or the possibility of it falling off side.
The best UVB to use is the Repti-SUN 10.0 or Arcaida D3 12%, I would not use any other tube bulbs. Your beardies will need to be able to get 6-8" from the bulb and make sure there is no plastic or screen between the bulb and your beardie. Some people use heavy duty velcro to attach the light fixture to the side of the tank. Or if it has a screen top you can use command hooks to 'hang' the light from the screen top.
Also for heating Im going to be using 3 8.5" http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Flukers-Clamp-Lamps.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_Lighting If this is the correct thing to use? Also im not sure on what basking spot bulb watt i should be using for the hot and cool side and also what watt for the night bulb and what are the best brands for bulbs i have zoomed bulbs atm.
You will need to experimant with different wattage bulbs to find out what gives you the correct temps. Your basking spot should be 95-105 degreese for an adult and the cool side should be in the low 80s. You dont have to use reptile bulbs for the basking bulb. You can use a regular household spot bulb, they're cheaper also. You do not need a bulb for night time unles temps get below 65 degreese, and if this is the case use a ceramic heat emitter. Any type of light, red or purple, can disrupt their sleep.
Also i see other people using things such as non reptile fixtures can anyone inform me if those are better or such thanks
I hope i have included everything i need if im missing anything please be sure to tell me thanks again very much
The fixture you use does not have to be a reptile brand. As long you have a good UVB bulb any fixture will be ok. Just make sure you buyt the correct fixture for the wattage/length of bulb you have ordered.

I hope some one could help me through this when i got my first dragon i had a friend that helped me pick out things because he said he knew so much about caring for dragons. After reading throughout this forum and other websites i see in almost every thing he told me he was wrong so now i have to go out and rebuy many things and i wanna do it right this time!
Please and thank you very much in advance to everyone,

Lee

clatch

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the help i have that fixture i just have to get the new UVB bulb. Also i will be going to use the ceramic tiles. Also ill be going to buy about 4 more of the dim clamp lights :)

Lee

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Spikey07 said:
clatch said:
Second Lighting: I need a few ideas on how to mount my UVB light to the glass with out breaking it or the possibility of it falling off side.
The best UVB to use is the Repti-SUN 10.0 or Arcaida D3 12%, I would not use any other tube bulbs. Your beardies will need to be able to get 6-8" from the bulb and make sure there is no plastic or screen between the bulb and your beardie. Some people use heavy duty velcro to attach the light fixture to the side of the tank. Or if it has a screen top you can use command hooks to 'hang' the light from the screen top.
Also for heating Im going to be using 3 8.5" http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Flukers-Clamp-Lamps.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_Lighting If this is the correct thing to use? Also im not sure on what basking spot bulb watt i should be using for the hot and cool side and also what watt for the night bulb and what are the best brands for bulbs i have zoomed bulbs atm.

Simple Correction if your use a 10.0 Bulb it is recommended to be 12-18" away. It's the 5.0 bulb that is the 6-8" away.

clatch

Original Poster
I'm using a zilla fixture I'm using a 24" 10.0 reptisun 2 dimmer clamp lights and one with just an on off switch for the CHE With 100 watt in.the basking.lamp CHE in the middle as I said and a regular home light all lights will be side clamped on and UVB mounted inside I'm actually gonna use non adhesive lenolium that I have to some how mount to plexi glass. Then that should.complete everything I need then ill add some rocks and a lot of.drift wood and what not if anyone has any ideas on
how to mount the lenolium to the plexi glass please inform me :) thanks

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom