Sunken Scales

Hello, I have a 2 and a half year old male bearded dragon (Aussie) that I’ve recently seen a change in. The scales on the top and side of his head have started sinking in (see picture below). It looks as though the pointy part of the scale has been pushed in, creating a crater-like scale. This has been happening slowly, but it’s gotten to the point where I can definitively say that it was not like this before, back when I got him a year ago. I haven’t changed anything with the way that I care for him or feed him, so I don’t understand why this would be happening. If anyone knows what is going on and how to prevent further scale sinking, I would greatly appreciate your help! Thank you!
4E74D0F2-BAFC-4A46-83FE-5734348BA93E.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I have a 2 and a half year old male bearded dragon (Aussie) that I’ve recently seen a change in. The scales on the top and side of his head have started sinking in (see picture below). It looks as though the pointy part of the scale has been pushed in, creating a crater-like scale. This has been happening slowly, but it’s gotten to the point where I can definitively say that it was not like this before, back when I got him a year ago. I haven’t changed anything with the way that I care for him or feed him, so I don’t understand why this would be happening. If anyone knows what is going on and how to prevent further scale sinking, I would greatly appreciate your help! Thank you!
View attachment 68306
@Drache613
@AHBD

Adhdogtraining

View attachment 68306
Hello from 2024! I recently acquired Aussie from I believe your family. According to my vet, the crater-like condition of his scales came from stuck shed and improper UVB levels. I've had him for a few months now and after extra vitamins, uvb treatment, wound care, and frequent baths, Aussie is doing very well and starting to shed off the old skin! 😊
IMG_20240508_095416052.jpg
IMG_20240508_095405219.jpg

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, this is a blast from the past, 2022. What type of wound care did the vet do ? That looks as if the scales have been dug out and the perietal eye has been damaged.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is an old picture! I agree that sometimes the scales can change over time as they get older.
Poor nutrition can definitely cause some scale issues though.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom