Substrate idea?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
So, I am currently using non-adhesive lino for Dudley's substrate. Since I've been working on a planted tank for my crestie, I've been wanting to do something a little more "natural" for him too, but not quite as risky as having an all-substrate setup. (Too bad beardies can't use coco fiber... It's actually pretty safe for a substrate or laybox for geckos!) I don't think he really likes walking on the lino either.

My idea was to cover a piece of lino in silicone, sprinkle some sand over it, and also stick in some rocks and pebbles. This way it would be much more grippable and interesting for him to walk on since it's not such a flat surface, but since everything would be glued into the substrate it would be 100% safe. Then he would still have his digging box for sleepy time too. :)

Has anyone tried something like this before? Or any other kind of DIY substrate? If anyone has, I would love to know how it turned out!

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
I've pondered the idea of making substrate out of the styrofoam and grout method... I don't know how easy it would be to clean... I ended up with non adhesive vinyl... Besides the foam, I don't have any other ideas.

MAK

Hatchling Member
I have bricks and garden pathway rocks as my substrate. I suppose doing what you said will be similar. It looks great and it is more natural too. Also the rough surface keeps his claws trimmed. Its just trickier to clean because their are nooks and crannies.

CIMG3836.jpg

CIMG3804.jpg

JCuratola

Hatchling Member
The bricks look like a good idea.. i have heard of slate being used also.. If you do try your idea make sure to post it!!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I've thought of doing the grout thing too, but DIY rocks make an annoying clicking noise as beardies run across them, so having that as a substrate would drive me insane! The way my viv is made I can't use tile in it very easily, and like I said before, I wanted a more un-even surface.

The garden stones are pretty similar to what I want to do! I don't want to deal with the cracks and crevices though... That's another thing that I hated about tile! I'm so picky, LOL. I might use a small piece of lino to make a little "sample" substrate tomorrow.

MAK":18zuulc4 said:
I have bricks and garden pathway rocks as my substrate. I suppose doing what you said will be similar. It looks great and it is more natural too. Also the rough surface keeps his claws trimmed. Its just trickier to clean because their are nooks and crannies.

CIMG3836.jpg

CIMG3804.jpg

I want to do something like this but put silicone in the crevices to prevent my bearding from catching his legs in the cracks and also so the feeders dont get in between the rocks what do you think?

MAK

Hatchling Member
nikkistorms":1io0gq2p said:
I want to do something like this but put silicone in the crevices to prevent my bearding from catching his legs in the cracks and also so the feeders dont get in between the rocks what do you think?

That sounds like a good idea. I dont have any safety issues or concerns, But you are right about feeders getting in the cracks. My beardie has learned to eat roaches out of a deep dish with vertical walls that the bugs cant climb out of. But an occasional roach will get out somehow and will try to hide in the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom