Stress or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Ok so let me start off by saying I recently got a 2 yr old dragon, Noodle, from a lady who was looking for a good home for her. She seems very healthy and everything but there seem to be some problems that I am wondering if it is something else.She has her basking spot to be about 100-105 and I notice that she will sometimes close one eye of hers when she is basking or sometimes if I hold her. She also doesn't seem to be very active in her tank or out in my living room she will just stand somewhere for about 10 minutes and finally started to move but not very much. I don't know if its because she doesn't have a UVB at the moment or not. I also should say she is shedding parts of her not all but she has already shed all 4 of her arms and claws and is slowly working on her head. I know I'll be asked this so let me go ahead and answer :D

How old is your dragon? 2 years old
How long have you had your dragon? Tomorrow will be one week
How long is your dragon? about 18 and a half inches
What is the sex of your dragon? Female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? A 40 gallon 36x18x18
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Newspaper going to upgrade to tiles when I get paid
Do you use UVB lights? She came with a Reptiglo 10.0 but I know how bad it is so I never turned it on for her. She goes outside when its sunny for 30 minutes a day. My reptisun I got for her should be here by Tuesday.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? The reptiglo 10 is compact and the reptisun I bought is a fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Reptisun 10.0
How old is your UVB bulb? Brand new being delivered hopefully by Tuesday
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? I bought a fixture for the UVb and she can get about 6-8 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes, it is a household Everyday Living clear bulb 72W.
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? I have a CHE that she came with but I don't use it my room stays between 69-70 at night.
How long are lights on each day? 12 hrs, 8:30 am to 8:30 pm
What are the basking temps? 100-105
What is the cool side temp? about 75-80
What is the night time temp? 70
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer with wire and probe.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? On her basking branch she climbs on directly under the bulb and inside of her log on the cool side.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. She ate crickets, until people told me super worms are better so I started feeding her them yesturday. I feed her a mixture of collard and mustard greens, cilantro, green pepper, acorn and yellow squash.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Once a day with leaving her salad bowl in her tank if she decides to eat any other time. I feed her around 10-10:30 am so she has 2 hours to bask before she eats to get active.
How many live feeders do you offer at time? 5
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes the crickets got a variety of food. the worms get collard greens
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Yes the crickets got Fluker's cricket quencher and Fluker's Calcium with vitamin D3. I have dusted the crickets once this week and the worms got dusted today.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes sort of a brown tube with white stuff at the end. It does stink but not the clear the room smell or water to your eyes
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? She has been bathed maybe 4-5 times this week she is shedding so I was trying to help her shed
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? No
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

I'm just worried about her she is my first dragon and I love her already to death. I know that it just all may be stress and also with her shedding but I just want to make sure everything is ok.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
My money is on the lack of UVB right now. Eating and messing are good signs. Wait until the UVB bulb comes in then see where you're at. Sometimes they want to run around and sometimes they'd just rather sit on you and be calm. BD mess does smell and a fecal is always a good idea but wait until see's settled. I knew Myah was sick with a parasite as she would clear the room! The smell would last for hours after her tank was washed! It was horrible. I think Noodle will pick up the pace once the bulb is in :wink:

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yeah I was thinking its mostly because she doesn't have an official UVB but I wanted to make sure its nothing else that could be a problem

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Once you have the Reptisun 10.0 up & running she'll have more energy, even with the sun every day, she still needs more UVB and she'll have that soon. She's also new to you, don't forget relocation stress is real and can last 2 weeks but she's eating regularly, so that's a good thing.

Once she's settled in and you have the UVB in place for a couple of weeks, if there's a good vet in your area and you can manage the cost, I'd take her in for a check up and a fecal. She might have parasites, it's hard to know without a fecal being done. You can also mail a sample to Cheryl at www.beardeddragon.co, I think she charges $5 for a fecal test. That's always an option down the road.

Otherwise I think she's good and healthy, the Reptiglo doesn't seem to have done her a lot of damage but you said she was out in the sun every day, so that helped. So give her some time to get acclimated to her new home, k? Your setup is just fine & so is the food you give her!

Deb

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thats good to know I'm doing something right lol I just want the best for her

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Mat, you are now officially a beardie dad. You are worried about her, even tho you are doing every thing right. Get used to it, it's normal to worry, just ask any of us, me and my husband included. We make up stuff to worry about sometimes, probably due to the fact that Lil squirt is our 7th beardie and we've only had 2 at a time. I'm always worried something will happen that will take them from us. :( Squirt has eaten a total of 3 superworms (medium) and 2 small her sized pieces of carrot in one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom