SQUASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I am happy to report my new beardies Cooper and Palmer eat several types of salad already !!!! :lol: I am however very surprised they wont have nothing to do with ANY of the squash types I have given them. This is where you guys come in.......What is your secrets? How is everyone preparing the squash???? Most people have said the squash is a big winner? What am I missing? Thanks in advance

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I actually can never get any of my dragons to eat squash lol.
I instead turned to healthy dark leafy greens and add fruits or melons to the mix here and there.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Our beardies had to learn to appreciate squash. They were okay with green things, but not huge fans of any other color. I sliced a 1/2" slice of squash or yam and microwaved it for maybe 10-15 seconds, just enough to warm it and bring out a little sweetness. Then I grated it with a box grater. They gradually got to the point where I don't have to warm it up any more, and now the squash is what they go for first in their dishes. Just time and persistence (and a lot of dried out squash, which I gave to the crickets!)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
carlisv":12ayzu9j said:
Our beardies had to learn to appreciate squash. They were okay with green things, but not huge fans of any other color. I sliced a 1/2" slice of squash or yam and microwaved it for maybe 10-15 seconds, just enough to warm it and bring out a little sweetness. Then I grated it with a box grater. They gradually got to the point where I don't have to warm it up any more, and now the squash is what they go for first in their dishes. Just time and persistence (and a lot of dried out squash, which I gave to the crickets!)

This is a tip I will have to try. :wink:

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Carlisv, thanks for the tip :lol: I am gonna give this a try! Does anybody think their beardie has preference of what type of squash it is????

Beardednoob, can you let me know if it works for u??

Paradon, which is the favorite? Maybe thats the one I should try first. lol

Thanks to all

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Irwinshealth":1b5fedmx said:
Carlisv, thanks for the tip :lol: I am gonna give this a try! Does anybody think their beardie has preference of what type of squash it is????

Thanks to all

I will try this come Sunday. This is when I go shopping for their salad items, same day I get my groceries. :wink:

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
Do you have to warm it up? I have been trying to give my beardie squash for a while now and I never once warmed it up.. Good idea.

(I'm not too happy with the squash, gets old/hard too fast but I also read online that most beardies love it and I'm trying to get mine to eat more veggies)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Irwinshealth":3akr7b1d said:

Thanks to all

You should try the butternut squash. that's mine's favorite.

Dexter loves butternut squash. A grocery store I go to sells it cubed, so I buy that a lot... I still have to cut the cubes in half for now. I also sometimes just get a whole squash, cut it in half, cook half for me and then use a fork or knife to scrape the squash out... but I think he prefers the cubes to the shredded squash

I cut up a spaghetti squash and boil it. My little guy shook his head to fling it out of his mouth! My older girl LOVES squash, though. I tried grating it, but they hated that, too.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, you can try cooking it; it makes the squash sweeter and taste much better. Or if the texture is not right they won't eat it either. I grate all my squash and they seem to prefer the texture of the squash that way. My iguana and bearded hate mushy, thawed frozen green beans but will eat the fresh one I process in the food processor. Some food processor has settings of shredding veggies...so you maybe you can invest in one of those food processor, or you can grate the squash on a cheese grater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom