Solar GLo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Hello, I am wanting to upgrade my UVB lighting, and my vet recommended the SolarGlo 125W. I spoke to someone else, however and they said that these bulbs give off a lot of heat, meaning I may have an overly warm basking area. I am aware that UVB/lighting and wattages depend on each individuals tank, and what works for them. I have a wooden vivarium with glass front sliding doors, so unfortunately I do not have the option of hanging the lamp higher/lower towards the basking area. I know they have to be within 8" of these, and I am wondering whether I should bother to buy one?

My tank only has the option for inside light fixtures, which works for now but I am wanting to change to SolarGlo. The tank is around 18" high with the light fixture around 3" from the top meaning the bulb would probably be 6-7" into the tank from the original height. Does anyone have any experience on this? Also is it a screw fitting bulb or a click one?

Thankyou

nikipop

Hatchling Member
We just switched to a critter condo. It is a melamine 4x2x18 with glass front doors. Our house never gets above 68 degrees right now and there is only a 30 watt flood in there for heat, that keeps the temps from the basking spot all the way to the cool side from 107- 95 - 83. I can't imagine what even a 50 watt would do in it. Of course there are plenty of factors that will make a difference for you. Like ventilation and wood type and house temps ect... But that still seems Like a pretty high wattage bulb.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is the combined UVB and Basking, my vet recommended it providing that I could get it right, I currently have a 60W and the basking is just right. My room is very warm, I don't ever have any windows or anything open but the tank obviously has vents. I am not sure about the bulb this is what I was thinking, All my temps are correct and if I had a lower wattage than that it would be way too cold. It stays around 105f until late on and warms to 110f and just over later on in the day, my house is VERY warm, and I can only just manage the basking with a 60W. Thankyou for your help :)

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
The solar glo screws into a regular light socket and should be 12" from the basking area. They are a mercury vapor uvb and heat in one bulb, but they do give off a lot of heat. Zoo Med makes a smaller bulb that actually has better uvb output and less heat, it is the Powersun 100w and is also recommended to be at 12". Only the linear flourescent uvbs like the Reptisun 10 should be 6 to 8 inches from the basking area. I use the 100w Powersun in bigger enclosures with inside fixtures, but they are 24" high inside and the bulb hangs about 7" downward.

What are you wanting to upgrade from? The Reptisun 10 is a perfectly good uvb source and using the two bulb setup gives you a lot more freedom to choose the wattage of the basking bulb and regulate basking temps better.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your information, that was very helpful. Well I currently have the reptisun 10.00 coil. I have obviously heard about the eye issues, and I brought this up with my reptile vet. (I am in the UK by the way.) The vet said I have nothing to worry about with this bulb, but I can upgrade to a better one when it needs upgrading in 2 months. I was really worried that I had this bulb and he said he does not understand the craze for the tubes as they give out less UVB and the UVB is not concentrated directly onto the beardy as it would be with a bulb. He recommended the SolarGlo, but I was just enquiring. I am not sure about all the coil issue, and if it was only a US thing, I will remove immediately if I see eye issues, but, like I say he said this is not an issue right now as I panicked and wanted to change it right away! I think these bulbs will be too hot for my enclosure... Any other UVB recommendations? I really don't know about the whole coil thing, but I just wan the best for my baby!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
NathanNatalie3002":2d34zaqq said:
The vet said I have nothing to worry about with this bulb

I strongly disagree with that.

Coil bulbs (Even the reptisun 10.0 coil bulbs) are EXTREMELY harsh on the eyes, and have caused some serious eye problems. It is safer to turn it off now and go without for a week or so until you can get a better bulb than to keep it on.

-Brandon

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, Well my tank is a 4ft... the height specs are listed at the top of this post, so, considering I would only be able to get the bulb around 6" away because of the basking area, do you think this would be a bad idea? It is a pain having inside fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom