So mad at Petsmart I want to scream at someone! RANT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
I went to Petsmart to get supers for my sweeite and I saw the babies none of them were active except the one on the top he was very cute showing off I saw he was a lether back but all the others weren't so lucky especially the one on the house looked dead he's behind the plant in the picture

20130614_125459_zps6db48535.jpg

I am so mad at my petsmart I bought my supers and left but I really wanted to just yell at someone when I saw this :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

Spartan06

Without knowing it was a bad idea, we got our beardie from PetSmart. She was roughly 5 inches when we brought her home (I didn't measure her until she had been home a week and at that point she was 5.5 inches). We were just in our PetSmart the other day and they have teeny tiny babies, I would guess no bigger than 4 inches. Like you said, one was very alert and looking around but the other 3 or 4 were just *basking*. Thankfully no one was being dominated at that time, but if I had the space and money I would have been tempted to buy them all.

I will say, our beardie was the only one in the viv when we bought her (which makes me wonder if she was the last one to go) and she wasn't very active there, but at the time I really didn't realize that was something I should be looking for. Once I got her home and found this site, and found a few things that PetSmart hadn't shared with us, within a few days she was pretty active and eating much better. We ditched the freeze dried veggies and went with fresh, upped her feedings to 2 a day and she's quite a happy little fatty now. She eats her crickets either 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how she's acting and she's settled in quite nicely with eating her greens. In the time we've had her (about 3 months) she's grown almost 7 inches. In the future, if we ever have another beardie, I will insist on going to a reptile store, or we have a *reptile show* in our area once a month that I've heard very good things about, we'll go there. Never again will I buy a pet from PetSmart.

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
they wont learn, they never will. its truly enraging and saddening, the poor reptiles that go through that, only for more than most dying in those shops. i still DO NOT understand WHY THEY COVER the lights with those plastic things, it makes zero senseee

thebenior

Hatchling Member
I was at a Petsmart earlier with my girlfriend, and one of the baby dragons they had was either dead or very close to death. :(

I'm glad that back when I was getting live feeders that there was a local independent pet shop that mostly focused on pet supplies.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Spartan06":3gau64v6 said:
Without knowing it was a bad idea, we got our beardie from PetSmart. She was roughly 5 inches when we brought her home (I didn't measure her until she had been home a week and at that point she was 5.5 inches). We were just in our PetSmart the other day and they have teeny tiny babies, I would guess no bigger than 4 inches. Like you said, one was very alert and looking around but the other 3 or 4 were just *basking*. Thankfully no one was being dominated at that time, but if I had the space and money I would have been tempted to buy them all.

I will say, our beardie was the only one in the viv when we bought her (which makes me wonder if she was the last one to go) and she wasn't very active there, but at the time I really didn't realize that was something I should be looking for. Once I got her home and found this site, and found a few things that PetSmart hadn't shared with us, within a few days she was pretty active and eating much better. We ditched the freeze dried veggies and went with fresh, upped her feedings to 2 a day and she's quite a happy little fatty now. She eats her crickets either 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how she's acting and she's settled in quite nicely with eating her greens. In the time we've had her (about 3 months) she's grown almost 7 inches. In the future, if we ever have another beardie, I will insist on going to a reptile store, or we have a *reptile show* in our area once a month that I've heard very good things about, we'll go there. Never again will I buy a pet from PetSmart.

Yeah I am just so mad that they are able to sell these animals and no nothing about how to take care of them. I wish it was a federal law that prohibits the sell of any animal from any pet store unless that said pet store can take care of the animals they sell and are knowledgeable to do so when helping customers. Every time I go into Petsmart for supers, is the only penny they will get from me from now on, they always asks me do I need help and I'm like no I'm good because they would probably give me a container full of dead supers. Speaking of which it took me 15 minutes to find a good container of supers because all of them had been made back in Mid of May to as late as April.

Killzone3265":3gau64v6 said:
they wont learn, they never will. its truly enraging and saddening, the poor reptiles that go through that, only for more than most dying in those shops. i still DO NOT understand WHY THEY COVER the lights with those plastic things, it makes zero senseee

It just makes me so mad they are able to do this and get away with it. Now its because a lot of people buy from them but sometimes you have to because they are the only pet shop around, like me. But yeah at my Petsmart they had 2 bulbs over the basking area a small white bulb looked like the diameter of a quarter. I think you can sort f see it in the picture. And they also have a red bulb which makes no sense as to why a beardie would need a red bulb.Makes me more upset I see no UVB in their tanks.

thebenior":3gau64v6 said:
I was at a Petsmart earlier with my girlfriend, and one of the baby dragons they had was either dead or very close to death. :(

I'm glad that back when I was getting live feeders that there was a local independent pet shop that mostly focused on pet supplies.

Its so sad to see such a small thing die for no reason only because people are ignorant and stupid god I hate the general public I work at Kroger and there is so many times I just want to tell someone off. But I learned to bottle my rage and then save it for something else. Yeah I wish I had a closer pet shop but Petsmart is all I have

zandi202

BD.org Addict
You can try contacting them. I e-mailed about my local Petco with concerns and everything has changed. The calci worms are no longer dishes of dead flies, the beardies are no longer on sand, and they were all told not to recommend feeding pinkies (which the district manager couldn't believe some were doing) to beardies. Now that they're off sand, the babies are a lot more active. They're still small, but that's not Petco's fault, that's the breeders fault for selling them too young. I don't know it PetSmart is as good about listening, but I have had many problems with the local one and when I go in there, I get what I need and leave...they have better decor items than Petco does.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll send an email once I get home from work and post it when ever I get a reply.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Don't leave you phone number if you don't have to, because they will call you. That's what happened with me and Petco which made it a little awkward.

Tassadar

I go to this EXACT petsmart in Woodstock, I hate the way they handle beardies. I always find myself steering people away from them and rounding up all the good items that they ACTUALLY need. These people drive me absolutely insane.

There was a leather that had a lot of orange on it and I thought about buying it for my girlfriend, but she can't house it so it's still there. :cry:

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
yes I tell my mom I couldn't work at petsmart because I would loose my job in a week for me steering people away. I think the leather back your talking about is the one in the picture at the top right on top of the other beardies

Tassadar

Yes it is, I believe. I agree, I steer people away instantly and pack all the stuff up for them to buy and send them to these forums to ask for breeders.

That Petsmart is horrible and the employees are such ******. They tried telling me that I was abusing my beardie who is about 6 months old because I feed him 3/4'' Dubias (He actually likes the fat 1 inch ones) and that their crickets are better for them AND that I needed a permit for breeding a Dubia colony, got a great laugh out of that one. Needless to say me and my girlfriend bring our beardies in there every Saturday and show them off to people. :)

If that leather is there the next time I go, I'm splitting my extra 40 gallon tank and taking it. I'd buy them all if I had to room, but I think if I got that leather then 4 would be my limit.....for now.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I have bought 2 beardies from petsmart. One yesterday actually. I know every store is different. Mine has 2 beardie tanks. Each has only 4 in them. That is not bad considering. Daisy has pretty healthily when I got her. Of course she had corrdiea but lots of beardies get that. She is now 1 year old this month :) My new one is pretty active but relocation stress will probably kick in soon. It really depends on the store. Some petsmarts are lame so are some petcos. My petco is lame but my petsmart is good. Each store is ran by a different owner. So it isnt like they have any specific "rules" other then ones cooperate sets. You can always try emailing the store manager and voicing your complaints but 99% of the time nothing will be done. A step further is to call cooperate office. They are a bit more likely to do something if they dont think you are just being annoying. Personally, I just take big chain pet stores as they are - sellers of over breed, popular pets and they dont care because someone will always come in and buy

Tassadar

Yeah..the Woodstock, GA location has at times more than 7-9 in that same little tank. Petco down the way is the EXACT same if not worse, they keep it at about 80% humidity and 2-4 juveniles in the same tank. It makes me want to start working there just to climb my way up so I can change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom