Skip needs TLC (update w pics! 1/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Skip's lucky to have you as a Mommy. He needs someone to care for him. He has spunk and the will to survive. I guess the petstore had another beardie and it could've bitten off his rear leg. Poor boy. At least he's in a good home. :)

I rescued a beardie myself. His name's Ali and he was very sick. I don't know how he got pinworms, but I keep thinking his previous owner had something to do with it. She had cats, dogs, and rabbits in the house. I think they let him out and run around. I don't know if he got them from that house. My tank's brand new. I got it in the pet store and wiped it down with Bleach and water. Ali also has a bacteria infection. Both of our beardie's are lucky.

For the past few days, I haven't been feeling really energetic. I've been tired all the time, huffing and puffing whenever I walk, and I'm unable to do anything without having to take a break. I was diagnosed as having iron deficiency anemia last year. It comes and goes. Ali's on the verge of getting better and now he sensed something wrong with me. He didn't want to leave me. He wanted to stay with me. He was worried. All animals sense illnesses and something wrong. I just took my treatment of iron supplements. I thought maybe I was tired because Ali and I woke up at 8 o'clock in the morning and I'd be with him. I noticed that I slept some of the time. Ali watched over me the entire time I slept. He knew something wasn't right and so did I.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Krista, I think Shannon has covered every possible treatment option :blob5:
One other thing I do with Huff is water therapy. As you already noticed, Skip supported himself well in the bath. I have found Huff supports himself and moves more 'freely' in the bath so, I fill the bath up to my second knuckle (Huff is quite well 'recovered') and encourage him to swim. If he doesnt want to swim, I move his legs, one at a time, in a circular motion - I do this 3-4 times per week and it seems to stop him from stiffening up and falling over himself!
Huff had a super minimal viv. He had a half log and a flat rock... I used a big towel for the substrate for the first few days after I rescued him but, I noticed, very quickly that this caused him to get in a tangle and fall over even more. He would flip right over sometimes because he was stuck on the towel and couldnt get himself untangled. I switched him to tile then.
Now, 18 months later, he has a 4x 2 viv, half tiles and half lino - he finds the lino a little slippy but I actually think he enjoys sliding across it at full speed sometimes! I had to put it in there as something 'softer' since he kept jumping off his high log (yep, now he has a log that sits 14 inches off the ground) - I keep thinking he will hurt himself but, he is so determined to be a nutter so I have to keep him happy. Sometimes he struggles to get up to the highest point but he gets mad when I try to help him out!

Anyway, im rambling... I just wanted to share an experience and say that you are doing really well with skip :)

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
For those femoral pores - I saw the same thing on Papa Smurf but they were blue from the blue sand. Don't worry about them. I am positive they will clear up on their own. Just give him the warm soaks and they will soften. To me they do not look bad or infected. I will link you to my thread on Papa's pores so you can see those pics...but I am late for a meeeeting!!!! :shock:

reptilegyrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Skip is doing pretty well considering! Still cant gethim to eat salads so he has been eating squash baby food and more blended greens. But im dusting crickets and silk worms and he is eating a few every day. Also drinking water and taking his vitamins! Has his first vet visit tomorrow...hope all goes well!

reptilegyrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
a few pics of my sweet Skip today!

eating squash
"What?! Do i haz somfinn on my face?!"
0127121245.jpg

01271212501.jpg

0127121249a.jpg

0127121249.jpg

I have him pretty close to the uv light, and im happy to say even though he has injuries, they seem to me to be pretty well healed, and he does not seem to be in any pain! I am keeping an eye on the scales on his leg. im hoping that it is just scar tissue like you said Mirthy. We will see what the vet says tomorrow.
I am going to look into raising silks. How much did you pay to get started Shannon?
Im trying to get a sample for the vet to do a fecal test tomorrow... but he pooped and smeared it around so much its impossible to get! *sigh* i hope he goes again today so i can bring in a sample! :banghead: :banghead:

reptilegyrl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Forgot to mention, I have been using powder calcium and vitamins as well as electrolyte and d3. what is the difference between liquid calcium and calcium powder? Im very interested in what the vet says tomorrow. and im quite nervous about both skip and liquorice tomorrow morning!

As for baths, Skip hates them! he does everything he can to scramble up my arm(amazingly well for a guy with use of not much more than 2 legs!) lol!
So i guess its his version of bath therapy. he sure gets some exercise and gets more movement in his front crippled leg. :mrgreen: At first i was afraid he would hurt himself, but there is no stopping this guy he's persistent.
My husband gave him a cricket dusted in calcium and he ate it out of his hand. yesterday he tried again and dropped the cricket. Skip lunged after it and caught it after 2 tries! He keeps amazing me! he ended up eating 3 more out of my husbands hand.
I have realized he is also missing a back toe. :cry: Is this going to affect his balance even more than just the legs would? or is it usually not a prob? it seems the guy has only one good leg??? :angry5: people make me angry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom