Sick? Brumation? Newbie needs help with recent rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Henry about 6 weeks ago. A 2 yr male who was caged in a 10 gallon tank and didnt have a uvb light maybe all his life Im surprised he wasnt in worse shape. I brought him home and he would barely eat and almost no bowel movements, however very friendly and loved being held and let run around and would go to sleep wrapped in a blanket and not get up until I unwrapped him lol. A week later I bought a 36x18x18 reptile cage, heat lamps(maintains 93-100 in basking spot), 10.0 uvb across almost the whole cage, nice tiled floor with a new rock basking/hiding spot, a cool spot hang out and food and water dishes. Henry immediately responded ate tons of veggies loved his crickets and worms and started having daily bowel movements. No problems for 4 weeks. Then 5 days ago I found Henry obviously upset with the black beard and puffing, so upset he lunged at me and kept trying to bite. I let him go for a few got gloves and picked him up but he was not having it and struggled hard to be put down. He stopped eating, his last bowel movement was liquid and he vomited once 4 days ago. He has been black beard for 5 days straight, goes to bed black wakes up black. He now just gets up in the morning and sleeps on his rock all day. Today Henry is letting me pick him up fine now with no biting but hes still bearded and when I pick him up he goes limp and just goes to sleep. Is this his form of brumation or is something wrong? Please help even my 3 yr old is worried because hes not eating.

Majora

Not eating much is normal during brumation but all the other symptoms you mentioned - black bearding, vomiting, etc - are not. It sounds like he isn't feeling well and needs a trip to the vet. He may have a parasite or another issue.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry he is not feeling well.
Since he has a chronic black beard, that is an indication he is not feeling good. I would recommend getting a blood test & fecal done on him to help determine what could be going on.
Which 10 tube UVB light are you using?
What foods does he like?
Do you have any pictures of him for us?

Tracie

usnavygm07

Original Poster
He has the reptusin the one everyone here recommends. He likes peppers, acorn squash, kale, loves a piece of strawberry I give him occasionally. He also gets crickets and megaworms coated in his supplements. I will load pics later of him when the wife gets home lol. I dont think we have a reptile vet anywhere near me but I will search again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom