Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangit12

Juvie Member
how long does it take for a baby bearded dragon to shed? i had fowlcore for about 2 months and he hasnt been shedding.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I'm not much help but my beardie as a baby shedded constantly. I'm sure someone will reply with a brainiac answer =] They usually do.

I would just make sure you have all your lights set up good, and temps. That's what I've read about it. But I'm no expert. :S

Is he even white? Or about to shed?

dangit12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i think he is close to shedding. i saw on fowlcore that there is a split in the skin. Not a split in the skin where hes bleeding. it a split in the skin and within the split there is another skin. So i think he is starting to shed.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
A split? Do you have a picture?
If he is shedding, giving him a bath should help.
When Buddy sheds, it turns pale, then ghostly white, then WHITE, then clear, and boom! It starts cracking and peeling.

I don't know if you can see it or not but he was about to shed in this photo, his tail shedded but not the rest of him.
Buddy1111y.jpg

Nuka042

Hatchling Member
^ Agreed, giving a bath really helps when your beardie is in shed.

I wish I could give you that scientific answer you are looking for, but like humans who grow at different rates, beardies shed at different rates. I know when they're younger, they tend to shed a lot as they are growing a lot and the shedding tends to slow down as the reach adulthood. Just remember to not rip off the shedding as it tends to be painful for the beardies and you run the risk of damaging the scales.

Nuka042

Hatchling Member
That looks like shed alright! What I find to help my dragon during shedding (since the tail can be hard for them to shed sometimes) was to gently brush over his tail during bath time with an old soft tooth brush.

dangit12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
actully the tail is already shed i think. i noticed he had spikes on his tail this is when he started shedding. But now he just stopped. am i doing something wrong. am i not feeding him well. is it that i did not give him enough baths what is it?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are some things we need to know before we can help you figure out when he isn't shedding or growing properly. Please answer these questions that were posted here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165537&p=1332473#p1332473 Also, what exactly are you offering him for feeders, how many at a time and how many times a day? What greens are you feeding him? How often are you dusting with calcium & vitamins?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
dangit12":nmbimhu0 said:
im feeding him 4 adult crickets each day
How old is he again? Adult crickets are very large. The crickets should be NO larger than the space between his eyes. Since your beardie is so young, you should be offering him all the appropriately sized crickets he can eat in about a 10 to 15 minute time frame 2 to 3 times a day. It is not unusual for a beardie that young to eat anywhere from 30 to 100 crickets a day. He needs to get more protein, that will help him grow and when they shed, that means they are growing. You definitely need to increase his cricket intake.

i do not dust any crickets.
The crickets need to be dusted 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day with calcium with D3 and the other 2 days a wk with vitamins but again, only dust one feeding a day. The calcium and UVB light work together so not using calcium is making the UVB light ineffective so it won't prevent metabolic bone disease or other health issues. The calcium helps him develop strong bones so that he can reach adulthood so I suggest you get some calcium and vitamins asap.

and also greens like carrots spinach lettuce.
Lettuce is mostly water and doesn't have hardly any nutritional value at all. Carrots contain a large amount of Vitamin A which isn't good to feed continuously and spinach depletes the amount of calcium their bodies can absorb. Here's a site that shows the best greens and vegetables to feed in green ink, those can be fed daily and are high in calcium and other nutrients: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Please check this site out and make some changes to your little guy's diet to help him grow up nice & healthy.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hope you don't think I'm being picky, I just want your little guy to be nice & healthy. We are here to help you with all of that. Are you going to be able to make some changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom