scared she may be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

AO111

Hatchling Member
My beardie Sammy is just about 5 years old and she was fine up until about a week ago. Sammy is refusing food, greens and insects but is still drinking water, in fact seems thirsty all the time. At first I thought she might be going into brumation because she did at this time last year but she is still mildly active and not seeking a cool place in her tank to sleep. She also seems to be losing weight and she is pooping a lot, about twice a day whereas before she would never go to the bathroom this much.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's an odd combination of symptoms. My first thought is possible parasite/infection. Have you brought a fecal sample to the vet for testing? The weight loss is definitely not a good sign.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not yet. I was hoping she'd snap out of it but with the weight loss I think waiting is over. It also crossed my mind that given her age she could be dying. I really hope not.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A good vet will have a lot of treatment options available. I wouldn't put the cart before the horse though. I think it's a good idea to have her checked out by the vet to try and figure out what might be going on. It may turn out to be something relatively simple to treat.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How are her urates?
Going off food isn't always a problem, but weight loss is and drinking a lot is a little worrysome.

Like cooper said, a good vet may be able to help. Having blood work run would help them gauge her organ function in the case that something was wrong with her kidneys or liver etc.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":2hzbc2y5 said:
How are her urates?
Going off food isn't always a problem, but weight loss is and drinking a lot is a little worrysome.

Like cooper said, a good vet may be able to help. Having blood work run would help them gauge her organ function in the case that something was wrong with her kidneys or liver etc.

Her urates have been just a little bit of white combined with a small amount of tannish stuff that looks like baby food. So far she hasn't moved under her heat lamp to bask yet today which is something she usually does as soon as the heat light comes on. Maybe it is the beginning of brumation. As I said in my first post she went into brumation at the same time last year and it's also been unseasonably chilly out.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I know what is wrong! Today I discovered that her heat light isn't that hot anymore and when I put my hand on her back her skin was practically cool. So it could be she is not eating because she's not hot enough. I'm going to get her a new heat light today and see if that helps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That could definitely do it. I suggest picking up a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe so you can more closely monitor the temperatures throughout the tank going forward.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nope that wasn't it. Her and her poo are going to the vet tomorrow. I also just found a small, clearish worm in her poo 30 minutes ago. Makes me think she has tapeworms. I just hope she can handle treatment.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Back from the vet. They are going to check for parasites and the vet found a painful lump in Sammy's mid ceolomic cavity. I have to give her baytril every 24 hrs and make a slurry of a/d critical care pet food, given every eight hours.

AO111

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well she's had her first meal, 2 ml and first dose of antibiotic, 0.2 ml. She seemed to enjoy the food but I could tell she hated the meds. Poor baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom