Scale rot?

Mollysn28

Hey guys. My beardie is due for a new uvb light. Gonna order one now. The one I have now is 3 months over due, since it's every six months. In case thus contributed to the problem. My beardie is a girl, and she is about 9 months old. Lately she hasn't been eating. Probably the last 4 days. Just a worm here and there. A lettuce here and there. I thought maybe she wants to go through brumation. She's always trying to hide and sleep all day. Well lately I've noticed these scattered random dark scales. I thought maybe she's having a weird shed. If she is having scale rot, what can I buy over the counter? I know ideal would be the vet, but if I can't do that right away, what's the next best step. Gonna change uvb and give her home a nice cleaning, although it's not that bad to begin with. Here are some pics. One of her from a little far away, and the rest are close up of the dark scales. Thanks always you guys.

Attachments

• 20230927_113147.jpg
    20230927_113147.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230927_113136.jpg
    20230927_113136.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230927_113121.jpg
    20230927_113121.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230927_113217.jpg
    20230927_113217.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys. My beardie is due for a new uvb light. Gonna order one now. The one I have now is 3 months over due, since it's every six months. In case thus contributed to the problem. My beardie is a girl, and she is about 9 months old. Lately she hasn't been eating. Probably the last 4 days. Just a worm here and there. A lettuce here and there. I thought maybe she wants to go through brumation. She's always trying to hide and sleep all day. Well lately I've noticed these scattered random dark scales. I thought maybe she's having a weird shed. If she is having scale rot, what can I buy over the counter? I know ideal would be the vet, but if I can't do that right away, what's the next best step. Gonna change uvb and give her home a nice cleaning, although it's not that bad to begin with. Here are some pics. One of her from a little far away, and the rest are close up of the dark scales. Thanks always you guys.
Are you using a T 8? She has quit eating because of the UVB being expired if its a T 8- where is the placement for the UVB? Shes exhibiting common behavior for lack of UVB and the scale issue can be UVB issue related as well -- I am going to have AHBD take a look at it see what she sees and can advise
@AHBD

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I agree with Karrie, she has probably stopped eating due to the expired UVB bulb. Problems such as this are most often caused from poor husbandry/ husbandry issues.

I highly doubt that is scale rot, so don’t waste money on an unnecessary vet trip. It’s natural colouring most likely, but the patch of black scales is a bit strange. Keep an eye on it.

If you notice necrosis, dry scales, swelling, visible sores or pain when those scales are touched take her to the vet immediately. Here is a pic of my boys black spots:

1695860788031.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's no problem there at all, your dragon is the the picture of health. Being plump and near adult size she may be going through a normal seasonal slow down. A new uvb will be helpful but there's no indication of a problem. That's a beautiful + healthy looking beardie. :)

Mollysn28

Original Poster
I agree with Karrie, she has probably stopped eating due to the expired UVB bulb. Problems such as this are most often caused from poor husbandry/ husbandry issues.

I highly doubt that is scale rot, so don’t waste money on an unnecessary vet trip. It’s natural colouring most likely, but the patch of black scales is a bit strange. Keep an eye on it.

If you notice necrosis, dry scales, swelling, visible sores or pain when those scales are touched take her to the vet immediately. Here is a pic of my boys black spots:

View attachment 84308
I appreciate you guys so much. Gonna change uvb asap. I already ordered.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, she looks very healthy, good weight for
an adult. This time of year, they tend to just start
to automatically slow down for brumation or a brief
slowdown for a cooler season.
Definitely upgrade your UVB light, because that
will make a huge difference & will definitely improve the overall metabolism & activity of her,
too.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom