Sammys Left Arm Seems Limp/Seems Difficult to Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlanguid

Hello again guys, I'm here with another unfortunate circumstance that I just don't know what's wrong. :(
It wasn't too long ago that we were here figuring out what was protruding from our beardies tush, but now there seems to be a different issue that I really am lost about.
It started happening about a day ago - whenever I have Sam out and I observe him move, it seems that he is unable to move his left forearm. It sort of looks like that he only has the ability to move the 'shoulder' part of his arm, and the forearm seems to be limp, or non-responsive. When we saw this, we instantly checked to see if he had any visible wounds or scrapes, but we were unable to find anything. (Which is good, we hope)
I did some research to see if I could find anything out, and began ruling out calcium deficiency or other dietary problems that may be causing it, but I don't think that it's quite it.
Each time I pick up and observe his arm, he seems to not be phased by it, so I can only assume that it isn't hurting our little guy. It is upsetting though to see him walk with a sort of 'limp' I suppose - he seems to be struggling to work his arm to get himself moving. We even thought that maybe since he was in a prone position for so long, that his arm fell asleep on him.
Did he perhaps break it on.. something, while we were at work? I find it hard to believe since he seemed to had not moved since we left the house, laying on his ZooMed ReptiHammock.
Please help! :/

As for what we feed him, we have a mixture of live crickets, which we sprinkle calcium power on whenever he eats them, freeze-dried omnivore mix from Zilla, canned crickets (For back up crickets), and of course fresh carrots and sometimes spinach. We've been giving him frequent baths, since he hasn't shed in quite some time either.. which is another thing we're concerned about too. :/
We feel bad for our little guy, and we're doing the best we can with what we know, and these recent events that have left us puzzled are discouraging us. Hopefully someone can diagnose our baby Sam!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I woudlnt manipulate the arm to much in case there is a strain or break in it. If not better Id take him to the vet for a look at his little forearm. In either case of a strain, sprain or break that leg will be favored or guarded. You can try warm <tepid> baths to help with any swelling in it and to keep it from stiffening up. Take out anything he may be able to fall on if hes not climbing well and substitute a rolled up towel for his basking spot. Just keep an eye on it and if not better I highly suggest a vet to look at it.

rlanguid

Original Poster
I've done some looking up, and it seems that the closest reptile vet in Michigan is an hour and 15 minutes away from our home town. :( Sammy doesn't like car rides at all, which is very unfortunate.
I also have another thing to add as well - he seems to favor it, but rests it 'upside-down' while he's resting. So instead of his arm out in front of him, near his head, he has it reversed, with his palm facing upward. Is this a sign that he's hurt and trying to not use it?

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
rlanguid":1ycxx95o said:
I've done some looking up, and it seems that the closest reptile vet in Michigan is an hour and 15 minutes away from our home town. :( Sammy doesn't like car rides at all, which is very unfortunate.
I also have another thing to add as well - he seems to favor it, but rests it 'upside-down' while he's resting. So instead of his arm out in front of him, near his head, he has it reversed, with his palm facing upward. Is this a sign that he's hurt and trying to not use it?

Poncho sleeps like that all the time, for whatever reason its comfortable to them lol! Sometimes he will even do it with both. I hope its just that he's being a silly boy but the palm up resting thing is nothing to worry about!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Both of mine sleep palm up on opposite arms. That is not a concern silly babies. If he is favoring the arm but able to manipulate it himself then I wouldnt worry to much about a break, may be strained or sprained. Just keep an eye on it for a couple of days and warm baths to keep it from getting stiff.

rlanguid

Original Poster
Well our little guy seems to be having more difficulties getting around - he couldn't turn himself around or prop himself up on said arm while he was in his water dish and we had to help him. We're going to call and schedule an appointment A.S.A.P. Send lots of love and support to our Sammy please!!

I do have one more question though, and it is regarding his most recent change of tanks. Prior to his arm issues, we had just transferred him from his very small, I think 30 gallon or so, tank into his new 150 gallon tank. Unfortunately the bulbs and the domes for the bulbs that were sent to us were in very poor condition, and we had to call and ask for a full refund, as they stopped working within a week. So after living about a week in his large tank, we had to put him back into his smaller one. I know it seems odd, but could this have anything to do with it? Two drastic changes in atmosphere and lighting, so quickly? I just hope our Sammy is okay and not in pain. :(

Tonja

BD.org Addict
i can see your baby being stressed with the moving around but doubt it would have anything to do with his arm. Is he getting calcium supplements with D3 5 x week and vitamins 2 x week. His crickets should be dusted lightly with calcium and if hes not getting the calcium with proper uvb, the problem with his little arm could be the start of metabolic bone disease but in any case, glad hes gonna see the vet. I'm pulling for your little guy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB light are you using?
I don't think changing him to a larger tank has caused his arm issue. He could have hurt himself though on something.
If he doesn't start using his arm more I would recommend getting him in to see a vet for an x-ray. Is there any swelling?

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
And please be careful feeding too many carrots and spinach!! Beautifuldragons.com has a wonderful nutrition list that most of us go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom