Rocky #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when you thought Rocky movies were over...surprise a new star is about to emerge! Rocky #12!

Hi, I am still a juvie on the forum, but have already felt so welcomed by the members and administrators that I feel like folks here are family. Pogi was my baby beardie I adopted about 4 mths ago from Petco. I had never owned a beardie or reptile...just furry & feathery creatures. I went in quite naïve but learned quickly through this site and many good folks who work at Petco how to get things started. But after a couple of weeks Pogi wasn't as active or eating as much so I took him to the vet to discover we brought some of his friends home with us...pinworms and coccidia. What a challenge that was for a first time beardie owner. But this forum and a caring vet helped us persevere and we were able to wipe it out. Pogi started gaining weight and his colors were starting to pop out. He was a leatherback with tiger orange markings. We were really bonding and building a nice routine with each other. Until two weeks ago I noticed his leg was lame. Thinking it may be broken I took him to vet only to find it was worse than that...septic arthritis which my vet said has been linked to the beardies and also to other susceptible animals who have had coccidia before...we gave him meds and did a recheck last Friday. It had begun to spread. Now his other leg was showing visible signs as well. He had also been very slow to get out of his sleeper sack and go up his basking rock. I also had to hand feed him his worms because he looked frustrated having to go down to get them. Knowing that this was a terminal condition that would spread rapidly in his blood stream to other joints, the vet and I knew it would be more humane to put him to sleep. I can't even tell you how devastating I felt...holding him, stroking him, his eyes looking at me with complete trust...only to hand him over to the vet tech. I was crushed...still am...and will always be. You can't every erase those memories and it would be unfair to Pogi for me to.

They brought him back wrapped up and I brought him home, wrapped him in his favorite sleeper sack...my husband buried him yesterday and as I have told others before, we set his favorite basking tree on top so his spirit can climb out and soak in the sun...

When I got back from the vet I slowly began putting his things away and wondered if or when I would adopt another. It just felt so empty in his room...the lights were off and it just felt terribly sad. I brought my neighbor some of his feeders for his reptiles and I guess he saw how sad I was and sat me down to show me some websites of breeders. For I told him earlier in the week how frustrated I was about buying my pets from pet shops only for them to die on us so early. While buying from a breeder can be expensive, I knew my next one would be worth the money as long as I knew it was raised well and healthy...that feeling is priceless.

So that's when it happened...as he scrawled down at all the beautiful beardies up for sale I knew I had to buy one. I went home and got my families blessing as they knew how much I loved Pogi, and needed to share that love with another...even my husband, who was absolutely against me buying Pogi could not stand the sadness, for he was rooting him on hoping he would recover. So he felt better knowing we were adopting another from a good breeder.

I went on Dragons4You and found my hunk. Dragon #12. He is a leatherback citrus male. 15 3/4 long, and 204 grams. Pogi was almost 4 mths and only 74 grams and 10.5 inches...so I am a bit anxious knowing he will be bigger but also comforted that perhaps he may not be as 'delicate' as a baby or juvie. I always looked forward to seeing Pogi get big and fat and fanaticized carrying him around on my chest or shoulder...we never made it that far. So Dragon #12 was there and needing a home, so I bought him.

The breeder sensed my apprehension in all my emails and was very kind and reassuring. She said he was tame, a good eater, and healthy. But what sold me was when she said she had considered holding him back for herself but that she already had too males so she put him up for sale. I figured, if she was partial to him, then he must be special!

After sometime going through a list of names with my kids, we decided the best name for him would be Rocky...an American fictional icon of strength, honesty, and loyalty. Perfect! Not to mention I think he looks beefy, and so was Rocky!

Rocky will be shipped overnight via FedEx on Monday and is scheduled to arrive Tuesday at noon. I honestly feel like an expectant mom! Though I can say after having three children, this is a whole lot calmer of an experience in waiting!

So now I have been busily prepping everything for his arrival. After spending a long time at Petsmart picking up and comparing all the basking rocks out there, I ended up picking the same one we had for Pogi but in a different color. I didn't want to use any of the same accessories because as others suggested, this is Rocky's tank now and should reflect a new life...but that was a great basking tree and figured it would work well for Rocky too...it can be Pogi's way of saying welcome to the family...

I also realized I had to prepare for a larger dragon so everything is getting upsized. I did throw away Pogi's bedding including his beautiful hammock I had made him, but again, the fear that some parasite survived all the bleach and washing just eats at my brain...so I am making him a new and larger sleeper sack, and a new hammock. Will post pix of those when I make them.

Meanwhile...here is Rocky's File sheet from website! I swear he looks like he is saying "yo, Adrieanne!"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u65e4vxlanu1dc3/#12.PNG

And here is his tank set up (for now...still adding the sack and hammock)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea0v0kklfqirwsg/rocky set up.JPG

I use tile as a substrate but will hold off until we get his fecal tested in a couple of weeks. Plus I want to note his poop pattern...Pogi had his favorite spots to poop in so I knew where to clean...figured Rocky might also. Paper towel is easier to maintain when you aren't sure of their health...

I also got him a clear live feeder bowl so he (and me) can always note if yummies are in there. I plan to use the bigger corner dish for his greens. Janice the breeder said he likes collards and will eat some beardie bites too. I bought some adult sized Beardie Pellets to put as a supplemental food, which will go in the Cactus dish, along with a small serving of water daily. While I want him to eat live fresh things, I know it can be valuable to get them to eat prepared foods as well especially if vacationing and for pet sitters.

My neighbor is going to give me back some of my dubias and phoenix worms too. But Janice said he has never had dubias...only crickets...and the occaisional super worm as a treat...because dubias are illegal in FL. Well, I hope he will learn to like dubias and other feeders because I am wary of crickets...the bite, jump, smell, and are known to carry parasites. She also said they worm their adults every six months as protocol since they feed them the crickets. But that he had not yet been wormed as he was a tad young...he was hatched 10.29.2013. So he will definitely be getting wormed in two weeks!

She also said he may need a bath when he arrives as they tend to poop on themselves so I went out and bought him a little Rubbermaid tub. Plus got some old hand towels already for a little scrub down when he arrives. Got my beautiful beardie shampoo too! Spa treatment!

Then she said to offer him some crickets in a couple of hours as he will probably be pretty hungry and was a good eater. So that's when I will try the dubias on him. But do you all think I should go ahead and get some crickets too in case he prefers that????

I have plenty of calcium powder etc..plus my lights are not even 6 mths old yets...so that is set. My question for you all is should I give him any supplements this so as he begins to adjust to everything to help reduce his stress level?

It was suggested not to try and hold him too much the first two days to give him time to settle down...and to look for his cues that he wants to socialize...and watch for stress lines...anything else that might help with the adjustment period?

Okay...now I will take a deep breath...and wait. So hard to do that!!!! I wish he were here already!!!!!!!! He is my "other' Mother's Day present for sure....my kids bought me a beautiful hummingbird feeder too...

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm so glad he got there safely and is settling in well. You and your family must be tickled pink! Thanks for the great narrative and pictures.It was a thrill being part of his journey. :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh darn, I couldn't see the video or the picture of him eating the superworms.

Wow, he sure ate a lot today, amazing. He sure was one hungry guy. He looks great and is a good size for less than 7 months old, can tell he was well cared for. :p

I'll bet your family is ecstatic. Bet he likes all the attention too.

Looking forward to daily updates on him. Would love to see a pic of him sprawled out in his tank sometime.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for letting me know about the movie link...

Lets see if this will work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubekigaavjdxcxe/Rocky%27s%20First%20MEeting.MOV

or this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubekigaavjdxcxe/Rocky's First MEeting.MOV

Here is the pix link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzj9o93coni6a9q/GotMore.JPG

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzj9o93coni6a9q/GotMore.JPG

Here is one of him on his hammock...it is the same size as Pogi's was but Rocky really fills it out a lot more than he did! Funny moment was when Rocky jumped on the hammock and started licking at all the dots in the pattern as if to see if they were worms! LOL Also, moments after I took this shot, he tried to see if he could climb the 'back drop rocks' poor fella...falls for that optical illusion...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0ff1wq1hf7j90j/Rocky Hammock.JPG

I passed out for about 30 minutes earlier with Rocky on my chest under a blankie...not sure if he was sleeping, but I know it felt good to have him there. :D

Good advice on the wax worms...just as a treat. When do you go back in for Heisenberg's blood work again?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
LOVED the video, how adorable. :p He loved the sound of your voice, could just tell. The head tilt when you were stroking his head was so precious. Thanks for sharing that.

Him standing in the empty dish was a cute like "hey, where'd they go?" LOL

He looks great on the hammock. Must have been so funny watching him trying to eat the dots. Yes, the optical illusion gets them every time, poor things. :lol:

Great that you had 30 minutes of bonding time with him on your chest, doesn't that feel so awesome?

Doesn't seem like he is stressed out at all, only a slightly dark beard in that cloth bag which is certainly understandable after his trip and being in that poopy bag lol.

He sure has settled in nicely. You are a natural. :wink:

Oh, & all the links worked this time. 8)

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Love the pic of him standing in the empty bowl.....more please I'm starving!
Heisenberg goes to the vet tomorrow at 3:30 for another blood panel. Getting kinda nervous about it but hopefull that there will be an improvement. His poop was reallysstinky today so going to have another fecal done.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What a great site this morning... Rocky looking like a hunk in his basking tree!

Got our routine going early....nice soak in a tub with some warm water & pedialyte for I still am concerned about hydration. He was very sweet when I cradled his head...he would close his eyes. He also started lapping up some water from my fingers so I knew he was thirsty.

After a good snuggle with the towel, I put him back in the tank and gave him as much water from a dropper as he wanted. He drank quite a bit. Then I let him be for awhile. When I saw him again he had jumped into his hammock and just looked so comfy that I wished I could have crawled in there with him for a snuggle!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpykgvm6k8xg4ec/relax.JPG

He looks as if he is saying "Wanna Join me?" in this pix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zogmf5sipwkvmvi/wanna join me.JPG

I also gave him some reptile bene vac yesterday and today just to help his digestion. He hasn't pooped yet for me today. I also gave him some baby food squash today too to help his tummy and get some food in him. So far he is not as ravenous as he was yesterday in terms of eating his greens, but I will see how he does with the feeders today.

I feel sooooo much better now that he is here! It is great to see the light on the tank again....and to admire the handsome dude sitting in there.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sure does look like he was inviting you with his eyes to share the hammock with him. Can tell he loves his hammock. He never really had any stress marks on his chest or stomach at all, did he?

He was a thirsty guy, guess that flight/road trip really dried him out. Good idea giving him some Pedialyte and using the dropper with water.

Where does he sleep at night, a sleeper bag? Or do you have to pick him up to show him where to lay?

It must seem great to see him in the tank, he's such a handsome guy and he knows it. :p

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He really is thirsty...gave him more dropper full of water...wish he would find his little water bowl so he doesn't become dependent on being giving water...though I don't mind it really...nice way to bond.

He did eat about 20 phoenix worms and about 5 dubias today...plus I gave him some baby squash to see if I could stimulate a poop out of him...but no poop yet. Sure he will be leaving me a big one when he is ready to go....if he doesn't poop tomorrow, I might add a little olive oil to the squash.

Think he ate the greens but not as much as he did yesterday. But he is alert so I'm not too worried about it right now, but I'm just keeping an eye on him.

In terms of stress marks...I honestly didn't pay much attention in the beginning...Im sure he must have had them....He did beard up at one time yesterday when he saw something he wasn't sure of but I soothed him and he calmed down. He has been rather curious and suspicious of my dogs who dart past him a few times a day. But overall, he seems to know how to chill out!

I agree, he does have that personality of a 'stud-like' fella....in fact, I took this pix when he told me he is going to offer to be Godzilla's understudy...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h43ykcnc8lqrm87/Godzilla.JPG

I don't know...he does have some potential... :?

I love night snuggles....he is just a lug on my chest...so comforting...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7yt1vilvcyw6on/night time snuggle.JPG

And as for his Sleeper Sack...he has spent his time mostly in the tree and hammock...so tonight I introduced him to his Sleeper Sack...very funny! What a difference in how he looks with his head inside vs. Pogi... I am posting a comparison...

Here was Pogi in his sleeper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ejdjnlpxj66alb/Sleeper Sack.JPG

Here is Rocky in his....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egzhynmoy4p4z2t/Tail Time.JPG

See the difference? LOL It really isn't meant for them to go completely inside but more just a place for them to stick their head. I'm sure when he is ready to go into brumation I'll rearrange some things so I can make him a bigger stay open sack and place it on the other side of the tank to allow him to go all the way inside. But for now, I love the tail!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, very few beardies drink from standing water dishes. What you could try is letting him watch you pick up some water with the dropper and empty it out slowly in the water dish. That helped some of my beardies get the idea. Sometimes I would have to start squirting the drops into the dish occasionally but then they would run right over to it & start drinking.

He sure has a good appetite, amazing for being there just a short time. Any poop today?

Rocky is adjusting very well to all the changes, new sights & sounds. Good that he's curious about things but also knows how to chill out. :p

Love the picture of him acting "so cool", looks like he's really showing off with that pose.

So cute the way he was laying on your chest, sure looked content.

Definitely a big difference in the body size of each of them. Had to laugh at Rocky's tail sticking out. :lol:

Thanks for sharing those adorable pictures. Bet you took some today too? :wink:

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for checking in with me today! I have noticed a bit of a change in behavior...wondering if it is him starting to really adjust or his body settling in...or he is starting to show how tired he is...

He was alert today...but not as alert, if that makes sense.

I gave him another bath this morning because I am still concerned about hydration from his journey and also the lack of poop since he arrived. He was much calmer in taking his bath again with Pedialyte..this morning. He could have sat longer I'm sure but it got too cold. He gets skittish if I turn the faucet on so I took him out and dried him off. There is something about wrapping beardie in a blanket and stroking their little faces, and rubbing their backs...so comforting! Spa treatment for us both!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg45ehjfw8xctxw/spa.JPG

But as the day went I just sensed he was more aloof...he still responded to my voice and to my strokes...he wasn't interested in the dropper with water...added some apple juice to it too and he was so-so about that...I also gave him some baby squash with a tiny drop of olive oil in it hoping it would get things moving...he ate that with great gusto from my finger...in fact, I was nervous that whipping tongue might turn into a big clamping jaw on my finger! I forget, as bad as an accidental chomp from Pogi was when trying to give him meds, I didn't want to find out how it would feel if Rocky did that :eek: !

He did take some benebac from me too...and eventually, after lots of prodding, he ate 6 small super worms, and 9 dubias all dusted with calcium heartily. But then he just sat there...kinda in a daze....then he eventually moved and stuck his foot in his water bowl...stayed there for awhile...then went up the bricks to stare at the 'fake rocks' in his viv cover...got a movie of him doing this and it is funny and sorta sad too...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khygdb1m7rlamfl/Hynotic Rocks.MOV

when I had put him back in his tank to see if he would start investigating his feeders or greens earlier...he just sat like for the longest time in a plopped position...It's like he plopped down like a floppy puppy and just sat there not knowing what to do next...Should I supplement him with some kind of appetite/energy booster too?

I want him poop so I can get a fecal test...but realize his coccidia may be high due to stress relocation...I hear you should wait two weeks...but I also know he has not been wormed yet for the breeder told me he was a little young. They worm them every 7 mths I believe because they feed them crickets.

What are some signs of dehydration I should look for? Thought about taking him anyway to vet tomorrow if I can to just get a 'well visit' and check his weight etc...then bring him back in two weeks for the fecal.

My other concern is his body odor...when I opened his box I was hit with a strong almost swamp like smell...I figured it was poop, pee, and sweat...but after three baths, I still smell it on him when I hold him. Not as strong, but it is there. Will that eventually go away or is that a natural odor or a sign of something else? I love him too much to make me stop holding him...but it would be more pleasant!

I feel confident that the breeders raise them well. She has even visited my post after I told him he got to me safe and sound to check on Rocky! She asked me to post some pix of him on Facebook every once and while so she can see how he is doing. To me that is a genuine sign that they think of their beardies individual welfare, and not just a cluster of merchandise.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit because of Pogi...I feel a bit over sensitive about Rocky...fell hard and fast for him...if something were to go wrong I know it would break my heart.

Sidenote...I rescued a huge snapping turtle from being run over today! Saw him on the side of the road near the kids school heading for heaven! So I put my hazards on and jumped out. Remembering what I learned from watching The Turtle Man Show (LLLLLAAAAAAA LIVE ACTION!) I gingerly picked that fella up and carried him to the grass area. He tried to bite me several times but I managed to keep my fingers away from harms way. Boy did I get a lot of strange looks from parents driving by! A few did ask if I was okay, and some even cheered me on! My kids were pretty proud too...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He sure looks adorable in that fuzzy towel. :love5:

I tried twice to upload the video but it just wouldn't load for some reason.

It is very easy to worry especially when you lost a beardie, I have been through that. BUT, I really didn't read anything concerning. He is still active, eating well, enjoying his bath, etc. It does sound to me like he is just settling in or I would say "chilling." He did end up eating a good amount today though but he probably wants to get all cleaned out so that is probably why it took a little coaxing to get him to eat so he will eat more when he poops. Would be a good idea to hold off for about 2 wks before getting the fecal checked.

Since the bath water is cooling off and he is a little skittish about the faucet, you could use coffee cup and add hot water to that and add it to the sink (if that's what you're using) and then just pour the hot water in where he isn't actually sitting. Something you could try to help him poop is holding him with one hand with his vent in the water and then using the other hand to gently massage on his right side from his armpit to vent area, that helps get things moving.

Beardies do have a little bit of a smell, it's hard to explain but I don't feel it's a dirty smell. If you wanted to, you could add a little bit of Betadine to the bath water (make sure he doesn't drink it) and that should help.

So nice that the breeder is keeping in contact and wants to see pictures of him, a very caring breeder indeed. :D

Great that you rescued a snapper, good job. Bet your kids were VERY proud of you.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I feel better hearing you say that. It's being a first time parent all over again too... Goodness knows how many times we called the pediatrician when our first son was born! By the third child we were like, 'eh, you'll live...'

Didn't have Pogi long enough to develop the sense of awareness of what they go through in different situations... Another reason this forum and members are so vital to helping us folks leard to be better beardie parents!

Thank you so very very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom