Rescued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmorphine

Original Poster
Thanks. He has been a little more active as of late. Ate the damn plants I put in there for him. Also, he is in a 30G right now. Is he okay in there temporarily until I can get another 40B?

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
hi ....

i happened to stumble across this post, and i thought maybe my thread about a dragon i rescued who was emaciated and had (still but better!) alot of problems, her name is Lexi, and maybe her journey can help your journey withyour new guy :) whats his name??

http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172688

as far as the tank size, honestly, right now, dont worry about that ... he needs someone of a "hospital" tank anyway. something thats not overwhelming. something were he can consistently bask and feel safe too.
the larger tank can come after you get him healthy :)
its soooooooo much to take in mentally and emotionally and financially with a rescue, that you spend so much time around the clock making them better, that geting hung up over a large tank is something that will just add extra worry for you - i did the exact same thing with my Lexi girl. I worried and worried about the tank she came with, which is a 29g ... looking at her tank then looking at my other dragons tank (HUGE!) was like, a stressor for me. Dont let that bother you right this moment.
BUT ... it ended up being a good thing. It was a safe, sterile, warm environment for her.
Alot of people that take in rescues will have to deal with a smaller tank than we want for q while, and that is TOTALLY ok so dont you worry!!!
Just check the temps, and make sure that once he is feeling and looking more active and alert, get him some out of tank quality time with you :)

the GOOD thing is, from the looks of him, his arms and legs arent under the wrath of MBD. they dont look fused and curved inward. From what i can see, the jaw looks pretty aligned, but there might be something going on with it?

remember to keep hydration a number one priority ... oral water, pedialyte orally, pedialyte and water baths, the more hydrated he is, the more he going to be able to do everything better - eat, poop, bask, sustain a body temperature, and just all around feeling more comfortable.

Stick with the greens (squash baby food, green pea baby food, veggie baby food) more than protein.
Alot of protein or feeders can be a big shock to the system when he is soooooooooo skinny like he is.
It can be hard to digest and process, the soft veggie foods are best right now, or if he will take actual pieces of greens, then move up to chicken baby food with veggies or turkey baby food with veggies, then onto live food.
this way you can make the smooth transition :) and he will be able to use the food and nourishment better :)

As far as bring stopped up and throwing up, its probably from the large amount of protein he took in. his tummy probably is not used to that amount of food at all. Poor thing, its like, you KNOW he was hungry to eat all that, but his body just might have not been ready to take it all in.

i did the same with Lexi. i thought "omg she needs food now!!" and feed her some super and roaches. it took a while for her body to get that through her system, i used a little olive oil and alot of rubbing her tummy in a downward motion in baths evert day until she pooped.

So, hydrate orally and through baths, pedialyte, and start with syringe baby foods. (i always used the grape flavored pedialyte)
if you can, order some pro-biotics for him, or use a little soy yogurt ... wow you would be so surprised to see how much that can settle his stomach. its truly amazing to use, and it will help him so much!!! Itevens out the stomach, gets good bacteria in there, and helps with appetie and digestion

I hope you can get him to a vet for a fecal check. i know its expensive, and that is tough on ya.
BUT, if you CAN do it, you wont regret it and its the best thing you could do for him right now ... you will get to the root of any problems, parasites, infections he may have. OR, he might not have any parasites or infections!!! wither way you can get some sort of idea of whats going on with him and some peace of mind.

Please let me know if i can help ... and i hope that if you get to take a look at Lexi's thread, it might help you too.
There are before and after pics on there ... might be a little inspiration of exactly how much your hard work and love will pay off for your new boy!!!

THANK YOU for rescuing him. Takes ALOT of courage.
I cant wait to keep up with his journey. I wish you the BEST of luck, and i hope that you keep posting and let us know how things are coming!!!

AmberC

Hatchling Member
I'm mostly just commenting because I want to keep up with this thread. Thanks for saving him, he's absolutely handsome!

Lmorphine

Original Poster
Hi guys, thank you for all the help. He is doing alot better. He is eating well, pooping, and being decently active. I'm hoping for a 100% improvement by mid-end june.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's geat news, I figured he'd get sick but he bounced right back. Glad to hear it ! :) He's a beautiful boy, too, great color on him . Keep up the good work !

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
is it just at certain times?
when he is basking?
or is it when he out of the tank?

i know that my beardies get lighter and darker depending on moods, temps, baths, everything.
my yellow beardie, she tends to get duller and browner under her basking light thru the day to absorb the heat, once she comes out, and eats or gets to walk around, she goes very vibrant yellow again.

sometimes they get darker when they cold, sometimes when they are warm and taking in heat. my other girl gets lighter when she is in her tank and darker when she out of her tank. with my yellow beardies, its the opposite. ha. thats a beardie for ya!
its really dependent on the dragon (in my case with my to girls) ... i never really know what colour or shade they will be.
idk if that helps any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom