Reddish urate..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumon

Beardie name(s)
Scooter
So Scooter's poop today had a bit of reddish tone to the urate
full

I had to remove his tree recently because he started eating the leaves off it, which are plastic. Since then hes been pooping daily and seems fine otherwise....but today this was his poop and I'm worried if it might be impaction or parasites. Any thoughts?

Thank you....I feel bad for asking so many questions but I just get so nervous for him. <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If he was impacted he would not be pooping- the red could be something you fed him -- like red peppers etc........... the leaves of the plastic were they red?
Karrie

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
KarrieRee":2fcla4ss said:
If he was impacted he would not be pooping- the red could be something you fed him -- like red peppers etc........... the leaves of the plastic were they red?
Karrie
No they were green, the only thing red hes gotten to my knowledge is straw berry but I've never seen him interested in it, but I mean he might have eaten some. I'm just worried cause I've never seen it red before. I keep reading so many things about everything I always go here to find out for sure cause I trust you guys more than anyone tbh haha

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Any recent changes to the diet?

Red/orange urates are 9 times out of 10 caused by over supplementation or from what you are feeding your insects.

What are you feeding your insects and what does your supplement schedule look like?

-Brandon

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Claudiusx":1r03rau4 said:
Hi there,

Any recent changes to the diet?

Red/orange urates are 9 times out of 10 caused by over supplementation or from what you are feeding your insects.

What are you feeding your insects and what does your supplement schedule look like?

-Brandon
I feed him crickets who are dusted with calcium d3 and just calcium interchanged every other day over the week and then vitamin spray on the weekend. Hes between 5 and 8 months I think based on his size and how long I've had him. I'm not sure if i should limit his supplements at this point or not. I also give him BSF larva which I dont dust. Do you think hes getting too much calcium? Should I only use the one with D3? Should I give him the vitamin spray more often?

All this is based on what I researched for a juvenile but I dont know when to change his diet and supplements over to more a more adult schedule.

I give him the occasional wax worm and meal worm for a treat but that's the only other thing he gets meat wise.

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Claudiusx":1s9ed69z said:
What are you feeding the crickets?

-Brandon
The flickers diet, should I give them more vegetables maybe?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats what is most likely causing the discolored urates. That cricket diet stuff always does that. Mainly the cubes, but the powder does too.

Switch out to just potatoes and carrots for a week and see if that remedies it. If not, you might want to cut back a bit on your supplementation.

-Brandon

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Claudiusx":26l5knlw said:
Thats what is most likely causing the discolored urates. That cricket diet stuff always does that. Mainly the cubes, but the powder does too.

Switch out to just potatoes and carrots for a week and see if that remedies it. If not, you might want to cut back a bit on your supplementation.

-Brandon
Okay, thank you. This is the first time I've noticed it so I'll definitely keep and eye out and try the diet switch.

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
So far today he hasnt pooped...and hadls been acting kinda sluggish and not as hungry as usual. I'm kinda worried now, but I'll see if he poops tomorrow...

Also hlas a side note , how do you know if they are closing their eyes while basking just to rest and relax or if the uvb light is too close? Is there a sort of range that's generally considered too close?

Thanks again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes what are you using for UVB? Brand and bulb - coil or tube?
Karrie

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
KarrieRee":1kmmjs36 said:
Yes what are you using for UVB? Brand and bulb - coil or tube?
Karrie
I lowered his hammock a little so hes not quite so close, but I'm using a reptisun t8 tube light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's inside the tank? Distance should be 8-10 inches w/.NO plastic cover over the bulb -- it needs to be exposed
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":30rvnuei said:
It's inside the tank? Distance should be 8-10 inches w/.NO plastic cover over the bulb -- it needs to be exposed
Karrie
6-8 inches for the t8 unobstructed with a reflector fixture.

-Brandon

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Okay so tomorrow I'm gonna try to afix it inside the tank. I'm cleaning out his whole tank. So it shouldnt be closer than 6 inches?

Edit from Thursday the 11th:

Also he still hasn't pooped since tuesday. I'm gonna keep an eye out for it today and maybe try a bath. He hasnt had one yet though so I'm not sure if he will cooperate as hes still pretty skittish about being handled. I still plan on cleaning his cage today and trying to afix his uvb light inside the tank. Not sure how he will like going through both that and the bath...so I might hold off on the bath until if he doesnt poop again today. Not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom