Rankin's cuteness - Rankins Dragons thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Irwinshealth":2vwtetyj said:
I can't wait to see the photos. I think a Rankins will be my next pet. Of course this won't be for like 10years yet :) I can barely keep up with what I have now.

10 years??? :shock: awwww come on! They don't really eat all that much....lol....

One thing, even though they a small they still need a good-sized tank, like the beardies do. I would hate for people to think they can keep one in a 10 gallon just because it is a small creature. These guys are pretty active and do like to have their space to run around.

How many pets do you have? We are feeling the crunch with how many we have. Mornings are hectic.

Whirleeq

we have our little dude in a 30x12x12 reptile zilla tank... Its the tank they sell for "bearded dragons", (ha!) but is really only suitable for a rankins. I think the height and length is perfect; plenty of room to run and place a hide out/thing to climb on both the warm and cool end. My beardie is in a 55 gallon tank. i plan on getting her a bigger tank when we move though, even 55 gallons doesn't seem like enough.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Menolly07":7x5a6vmv said:
Oh. My. Squee... Shannon.. If you had baby Saharas ... I would die. I would actually roll over and die. Right there on the floor. The cute would do me in. I could not take it. D-I-E Die. I love the new hatched baby beardies... Rankins? What am I meant to do with myself? I'll never wipe the nose smudges off the glass from trying to peer through.

LOL!!! Die?? You and me both! I can't even imagine how teeny and delicate they would be as babies. I can't even imagine trying to touch their little bodies. My goodness. I've never seen a Rankins baby either. It's not something you see for sale every day. If you have a reptile in the bedroom, that would be a fun place for Rankins. They are so cute when they sleep and when they wake up in the morning. In the morning they peer suspiciously down the side of the tank to the ground. I let my beardies out to sleep very often in that room, and the Rankins never know what they will spy down below. :lol: At night they do look kinda like mini-beardies in the way they lie and how their faces look so cute with their eyes closed. They always go down under their basking ladder in the partial shade to fall asleep, usually all three of them and right up against each other.

They would probably be terrified of cats. They really aren't brave at all. LOL

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Shannybeard,
We have what we call the Huber-Welu zoo in my house. Reason being my older two kids last name is Huber and everyone else in the house has the last name Welu. All our relative give us a hard time wondering what will we have next when they visit. :?

We currently have
Henry the 8th-Our Beagle
Cooper & Palmer- Two Beardies
Cinderella-Box Turtle
Wizzard-Chinese Water Dragon
Several Fish
Colin-Guinea Pig

Colin recently moved in with the older kids father because Henry tore apart his cage wanting to play. We thought it would be safer to separate them :wink:

The expense has been a bit more than we had hope when Henry was diagnosed with seizures. He also just had surgery for benign tumors on his eye. He is doing great now that we have his seizures under control.

Our next expense is upgrading Wizzard's viv :blob5: :blob8:

Whirleeq

just curious how you manage petcare when you go on vacation? We have a dog, a fish tank, two dragons (1 beardie, 1 rankins) a cockatiel and a parrotlet. I usually hire a neighbor kid to come and feed the birds/lizards/fish once a day, and my mother in law watches my dog... But the whole juggling animals thing stresses me out terribly beforehand.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
just curious how you manage petcare when you go on vacation?
:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

What's a vacation??? We have FIVE kids and not a lot of money. We got a hotel room one time.....It was horrible!!! We have child who head bangs, a couple who talk,one who walks, and I won't lie I walk and talk. My husband is the king of snoring!!! The camping trip we took we had several tents and still didn't get much sleep. We do day length travels now.

But seriously we have only left our animals for 24 hours on a camping trip. We had a family member who was kind enough stop in quite a few times to take care of them. Henry is the most demanding as he it on medication that is needed twice a day. The medication also makes him very hungry and thirsty, therefore many bathroom breaks are necessary. Like I said we are quite the zoo :blob5: :blob8:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Irwinshealth; I agree "what's a vacation" I thought I had a big crew of 5 beardies & a gecko, but 5 kids & your crew. WOW, that's alot of mouths to feed, but I'm sure they all enjoy each other. Sounds like day trips are better!

Shanny, I'm looking forward to seeing teeny Rankin babies, too, so let us all know if Sahara does get preggers, that would be amazing! Just alot more little mouths to feed but what's a few more, right? Just kidding, wonder how many eggs she would lay, though? And how many critters do you have now? I've been trying to keep count but can't. I'm so glad you're moving to a house, won't it be great to be spread out for a change?
Deb

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Carrie! You really do have a full house! It's true that vacations are a thing of the past. I had thought one day I would go somewhere like Europe and see...foreign things...LOL....I don't know. :lol: Maybe Ireland or Germany - but I don't see that happening, really. Not since we have all the critters that we do now. I would be devastated if I came home from vacay and something had gone wrong. Unless my sister could come live at my house while I was gone, but she lives across the country. :shock: So we do day trips, too. It's cool...I love my critters and miss them when we go away.

Deb, I want Rankins babies so badly! This morning I was feeding Sahara roaches and saying a little prayer that she will get pregnant. She is always wanting to eat and knows where to hang out in the viv so she gets to eat first. :love5: she is a little piggy.

I don't know how many eggs they lay, Otto probably has that bit of information. He is the brains behind our zoo, and I guess I am the brawn...? I have more vivs to clean...sounds like I am getting the poopy end of the deal. Hahahaha. But when it comes to planning, medications, buying supplies, that is all the husband. I do the weight tracking, data collection, worm raising, and a bit more of the viv cleaning. I think being like that we get more accomplished in a fairly organized manner considering we both work outside the home.

We are lucky that we have some different feeder colonies, too. We raise the silkworms, so we always have a constant supply, and we just saw some progress with our supers! We have teensy little super worms now, like maybe 3mm long. So it won't be long before we have this to feed off. And we have a small roach colony. We are very well planned out for having little babies, thanks to the husband. I want to learn how to make my own vivs, but I'm scared to try and mess up. Silly, I know, but still....

I would have a zoo for real if I could. :mrgreen:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So Chief's Daddy is your hubby & 17 and counting? and I thought I had a full house. I've been thinking about raising supers, silkworms, etc but when supers cost me about $30/m, it seems like alot of bother, but I do have a roach colony that's doing well, just a small one, as only Didi will eat an adult weekly. Need to let the little ones grow. I've tried to get our gecko to eat the babies, but he likes to let them loose & form a group in one of his hides, then I have to find them & return them to the colony. Maybe at one point, he's eating a cricket a day right now.

I would just love to visit you and visit your crew. But it would be a long trip from Vancouver to Florida, but maybe one year. I'd sleep in the room with Papa Smurf! :mrgreen:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Yep, Big Chief is my hubby. :mrgreen: And yep we do have 17 reptiles right now. :shock: It is a full house and time consuming, but I love them all so much. Getting the supers started was a lot of work and hubby spent a lot of time packaging the worms so they would pupate. Once they turn into beetles it isn't any work at all, just have to remember to feed them enough and separate the beetles after about 3 weeks so eggs will hatch. The beetles will breed in another container for another 3 weeks and the cycle just keeps going. But all the feeders require feeding and their bins need to be cleaned...so it is always something, right?

A beardie friend visit would be awesome! Papa Smurf would love the company, lol. He is a silly boy.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Hm.... So.... Florida... And Vancouver... PAX in Seattle at the end of August. Winter for Florida. There's gotta be somebody in California I can get super friendly with. Maybe a stop in Colorado between California and Florida.... *drawing on a map* Let's see... We've got a full tank of gas, 500 superworms, it's night time and we're wearing sunglasses. Punch it Odahviing!!!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Jane, you're a hoot!!! :laughhard:

Here's something that will make you all die.....

Getting ready for bedtime.
416728_229620100485622_1972230319_o.jpg

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Awwww Gobi and Sahara. They are very sweet together. Kali is more of an explored and is the only one out of the three that will glass dance to come out. I forgot to post the meerkat picture of them last night. It's really funny, I'll try to get that posted tonight. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom