Quick Q about beardy size and other q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
OK so my girl Skyy is exactly 5 months and 1 day old.. she is approx 17 inches tip of head to tip of tail and 229.4 grams.... At What age are they fully grown and what age do they start to slow down on growth? And Is this weight good?
This is my first beardy, I got her when she was 10 inches and maybe 2 months old from a breeder.

My other question not related to her directly, I live in Washington state and right now.. like always its really wet out and She just got over a URI which took a month to fully get rid of, Tried Reptaid first and helped a little and then decided to go on to the normal medication to get it gone quicker. Anyways! Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap and good Dehumidifier? I don't have a lot of money so buying a 150-200$ one is no bueno. Next week i am going to scour CL and see if i can get a cheap one in good shape but just want to get some idea's from you guys first. My bedroom where i keep sky is 12' x 15 or 20' nor quite sure.

YavannaV

Hatchling Member
My 10mo old beardie is only 15 inches from snout to tail tip and she's pretty much always (except for one bout with parasites that lasted a few weeks) eaten like a lil piggy. (90-100+ small crickets a day). Are you sure about your beardie's age?

I know they're all different though with growth rates, but yours seem especially huge for the age.

For dehumidifiers you can buy them for $20-30 from amazon.com. Just look for the ones for gun safes or for cigar boxes. (You plug them into an electrical outlet to dry the crystals out when they're full of water). Those can just attach into your enclosure and keep it nice and low humidity. Also, make sure you don't mist your BD or keep water in the enclosure. You can soak your dragon to keep him/her hydrated since they soak up the water through their tail vent.

We live in Florida with high humidity (mid-80% average daily), we soak ours in a bath every 3 days and have never had any problems of dehydration doing it that way. Never any URI so far as well. :)

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok.. and oh boy... I guess i should look at supplies for making her a bigger viv then haha. with how big she is now at only 5 months, Thanks again

That dehumidifier looks great. Can hang it above her enclosure :) Thanks for the link! I really appreciate it

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Flynnthedragon":c3uvpo5h said:
OK so my girl Skyy is exactly 5 months and 1 day old.. she is approx 17 inches tip of head to tip of tail and 229.4 grams.... At What age are they fully grown and what age do they start to slow down on growth? And Is this weight good?
This is my first beardy, I got her when she was 10 inches and maybe 2 months old from a breeder.

My other question not related to her directly, I live in Washington state and right now.. like always its really wet out and She just got over a URI which took a month to fully get rid of, Tried Reptaid first and helped a little and then decided to go on to the normal medication to get it gone quicker. Anyways! Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap and good Dehumidifier? I don't have a lot of money so buying a 150-200$ one is no bueno. Next week i am going to scour CL and see if i can get a cheap one in good shape but just want to get some idea's from you guys first. My bedroom where i keep sky is 12' x 15 or 20' nor quite sure.

As Yavanna said, that seems pretty large for the age of the beardie - are you sure she's only 5 months? 10" for a 2 month old is also a bit on the larger end of the spectrum - what was that breeder feeding their beardies??

As with all reptiles, they do technically continue to grow for their entire lives, but most significant growth drops off after the first year to 18 months. At 2 years they can be considered mature, and are usually more filled out compared to themselves when they were younger.

On the humidity: What're your lights light, and what do you use for substrate? Most of the time the heat lights combined with the standard dry substrate keeps the cage pretty much bone dry. Maybe you can shift cage conditions slightly to keep it a bit drier in the cage for her without going through the effort of finding a dehumidifier.

-Jen

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The breeder i bought her from said she was born 1-9-2012 so.. And right now its 87.2 on the hot side basking spot is about 105-110, Because its a nice sunny day out probably more up to 110 cool side is 75 or 70, cant see from where im at, Digital probes for the temps. Substrate is vinyl tiles, No water dish at all ( I did have one before and thats when i started noticing URI symptoms). There is really nothing i can change, Just Simply the humidity outside is pretty much what it is inside as i have my windows open a lot because it gets so hot in my room. The dehumidifer She linked me is pretty cheap and I think it will do the trick as long as i have it near her enclosure. My windows are only open for maybe an hour at a time and only a few times a day just to cool it off in my room. No other place in the house i could put her either so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom